Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Custom Designed Tdm Screen Ready To Go! High Impact Acrylic Version Is A Goer! - Sold

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:20 am

OK guys & gals, I think sufficient testing has been done. TDM laminar screen is ready to rock! biggrin.gif

Here's what you get for $195 AU, ~ 97 GBP or ~ 113 EURO. plus shipping which is around 45GBP or $53 EURO airfreight.

I'm happy to report these High Impact Acrylic screens are much tougher & a test one survived my rock test. i.e. I couldn't break it.

The Final version is a hybrid of Prototype 1 & 2 ( shown Here ) so is slighlty less pointed but close to what is shown here.
I'll provide fitting instructions, it's fairly straightforward but a bit fiddly so I recommend you get a second pair of hands to help. good.gif

So who wants one and would like to give it a review as well ? Opinions Humbley accepted.

PM me with your address details & we go from there. I will also get some sighting measurements from you so the screen can be sized to suite each rider.

I believe payment via paypal would be best. biggrin.gif

29-11-2008 Went to the Ross Motorcycle show last Sunday & got comments " That's a really nice Yamaha " People had no clue that my screen is not off the shelf from a Bike shop.[/size]

[size=2][b]A bloke in NSW has tested / reviewed the screen for me. See below.
smile.gif

UPDATE - TigerScreen Revision 2

Edited by Toraneko, 26 November 2011 - 05:09 am.

cheers, Shane from Tassie

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#2 gdaymarty

gdaymarty

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:40 am

gday
im a new tdm rider, only ridden bike once got 30k up the road,turned around and put ear plugs in
sounds like i need a taller screen.I have just read all of the blogs,you mentioned just selling screen without fixtures,is this still the case?
Im a fitter and turner so have no prob in manurfacturing my own,will only need the length of the stand off mounts.
What would the price be with and without mounting kit?
has anyone else tested it yet?

thanks

#3 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:11 am

QUOTE(gdaymarty @ Tue 16th Dec 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
gday
im a new tdm rider, only ridden bike once got 30k up the road,turned around and put ear plugs in
sounds like i need a taller screen.I have just read all of the blogs,you mentioned just selling screen without fixtures,is this still the case?
Im a fitter and turner so have no prob in manurfacturing my own,will only need the length of the stand off mounts.
What would the price be with and without mounting kit?
has anyone else tested it yet?

thanks

G'day, gdaymarty tongue.gif I did think about selling just the screen & letting people make their own mounts simply because unless I had a bulk order ( say 20+ screen kits )
it is way too expensive for me to get them machined.
As for testing, so far no-one in Europe / UK seems prepared to give one a go & I thought 85GBP for the lot including shipping to the other side of the planet was pretty reasonable. dunno.gif
I have an idea which might benefit everyone. ambusy.gif I'll PM you, so check your messages.

Airbox Mod ( JBX ), Krauser K-wing mount & Top Box, TDM Shield a.k.a TigerScreen Mk 2, HyperPro progressive rate fork springs, BeoWulf - Warrior exhausts,
Stebel Compact Nautilus Air-Horn with Eastern Beaver relay kit, Eastern Beaver PC-8 switched fusebox, Powerlet BMW style power socket
plus controller & heated gloves for the missus. Oxford v7 Heated Grips, V-Strom 650 HandGuards, Fenda extenda.

#4 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:23 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Fri 19th Dec 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for testing, so far no-one in Europe / UK seems prepared to give one a go & I thought 85GBP for the lot including shipping to the other side of the planet was pretty reasonable. dunno.gif

I'm very tempted but just need to get through Xmas first, may well be in touch just after New Year.

Cheers drinks.gif
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#5 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:00 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Fri 19th Dec 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm very tempted but just need to get through Xmas first, may well be in touch just after New Year.

Cheers drinks.gif

Yeah guess we're all battling our way through Xmas & all that goes with it. laugh.gif have ya self a good one though. drinks.gif

#6 Guest_Kelpie_*

Guest_Kelpie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:07 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Fri 19th Dec 2008, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was interested in "testing" one for you, complete with promotion afterwards! huh.gif
You didn't want to make a deal though.

Sorry, ex horse trainer here who was used to being supplied stuff for nothing for testing and promotion. tongue.gif At least I made you an offer.

Best of luck with it anyway.

#7 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:52 pm

I'm wondering how may I will see on the 09RTT.

Looks like a grand design. Well done you. clapping.gif

#8 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:35 am

QUOTE(Kelpie @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was interested in "testing" one for you, complete with promotion afterwards! huh.gif
You didn't want to make a deal though.

Sorry, ex horse trainer here who was used to being supplied stuff for nothing for testing and promotion. tongue.gif At least I made you an offer.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Yeah, that you did. Don't mind doing deals 'cause I'm not out to make Truckloads of money but on the other hand I don't want to pay people to take the screens either ! laugh.gif
Obviously shipping makes your offer less attractive
However , all may not be lost, if the guy in Victoria decides to try one & review it for me ( hopefully positive ) that may Pique peoples interest a little more & if I can find an arrangement with a fitter & turner the kit will become cheaper. good.gif
If all goes well you may yet end up being my Nth Hemisphere promoter tongue.gif

have a merry Christmas. drinks.gif

#9 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:54 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm wondering how may I will see on the 09RTT.

Looks like a grand design. Well done you. clapping.gif

Thanks mate. That will be interesting won't it ? When does the RTT happen ?

As said previously quite a bit of thought & testing went into this, even risking instant loss of licence ( 180kph + ) plod.gif to make sure all worked well &
was structurally sound of course. biggrin.gif wink.gif Wish I knew someone with a wind tunnel, that would be the duck's guts for testing !
I can't really imagine riding my TDM without this screen now, it just makes the whole experience that much more comfortable & enjoyable. good.gif

Thanks again for the excellent calendar & have ya self a great Xmas ! drinks.gif

#10 gdaymarty

gdaymarty

discovering Carpe

• 12 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:39 am

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Fri 19th Dec 2008, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
G'day, gdaymarty tongue.gif I did think about selling just the screen & letting people make their own mounts simply because unless I had a bulk order ( say 20+ screen kits )
it is way too expensive for me to get them machined.
I have an idea which might benefit everyone. ambusy.gif I'll PM you, so check your messages.

Will get back to you in the new year with eye height.
hopefully by then i will no how to pm a message
all the best ...... marty

Edited by gdaymarty, 20 December 2008 - 11:41 am.

#11 norty

norty

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 161 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:38 pm

QUOTE(TDMtoraneko @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 03:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, that you did. Don't mind doing deals 'cause I'm not out to make Truckloads of money but on the other hand I don't want to pay people to take the screens either ! laugh.gif
Obviously shipping makes your offer less attractive
However , all may not be lost, if the guy in Victoria decides to try one & review it for me ( hopefully positive ) that may Pique peoples interest a little more & if I can find an arrangement with a fitter & turner the kit will become cheaper. good.gif
If all goes well you may yet end up being my Nth Hemisphere promoter tongue.gif

have a merry Christmas. drinks.gif

Hi TDMtoraneko
I could well be intrested but it will be after christmas. What measurments do you need?
In your opinon how it does it compare to other aftermaket screens

#12 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 December 2008 - 05:27 pm

I would be interested in one of those after Christmas mate........

Just got to 'acquire' a 900 first ..............should be mission accomplished over the Christmas break though laugh.gif

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#13 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:01 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just got to 'acquire' a 900 first ..............should be mission accomplished over the Christmas break though laugh.gif

so.....does the misses know yet?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#14 Snigdog

Snigdog

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:06 am

Shane,
Screen looks great !
Will it fit the 850 also? I have 99 850. I am 6'2" and find the standard screen tends to deflect the air that would otherwise hit my upper body onto my helmet, creating a lot of noise and buffeting. Can the screen be fitted without having to drill any extra holes etc?
If will fit my bike I will take one. I am just the other side of the water on the Mornington Peninsula.
Rick \m/
0438 048 766

Edited by Snigdog, 21 December 2008 - 12:23 am.

2007 TDM 900
2006 ST1300A

#15 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:02 am

QUOTE(gdaymarty @ Sat 20th Dec 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will get back to you in the new year with eye height.
hopefully by then i will no how to pm a message
all the best ...... marty

using PM is easy but if you have any dramas contact dapleb He's the Guru.

I did my sight measurement a certain way, so in order for me to get peoples screen height correct I need them all to be done the same way.

Find a flat driveway or some such 30+ metres long. Put one marker on the ground at 10metres & another 20metres
from your front wheel. I used yellow milk bottle tops ( easy to see ).
Next I need you to sit on your trusty steed in your normal riding position, hands on the bar. ( of the bike that is ) rotflmmfao.gif
Get someone to hold a measuring tape on top of the ignition key barrel as shown below. ( make sure the tape's held straight up )

Now look at the markers. It's important that you look at the 20m marker first, THEN WITHOUT MOVING YOUR HEAD OR BODY POSITION, look at the 10m marker.
Note the approximate measurement on the tape that each lines up with in mm. eg 10metres = 460mm 20mtres = 485mm good.gif
Ignore your current screen.

When you're ready PM me those measurements & we'll take it from there. drinks.gif

Edited by TDMtoraneko, 18 August 2009 - 12:09 pm.

#16 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:18 am

QUOTE(norty @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi TDMtoraneko
I could well be intrested but it will be after christmas. What measurments do you need?
In your opinon how it does it compare to other aftermaket screens

For measurement see my previous post. As for comparison, from an aesthetics point of view I've had many favourable comments from other riders
over the last couple of months. Can't really compare wind reduction to other screens made for the TDM as I was so disappointed with the look of them that
I was never interested in blowing $220 + dollars on an ugly screen for my TDM even if they do work OK.
However, I did ride some other bikes with different screens a few weeks back, some of which had taller , wider screens, than my TigerScreen.
IMHO they did not deflect the wind as well.

have a good Xmas. drinks.gif

#17 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:50 am

QUOTE(Snigdog @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shane,
Screen looks great !
Will it fit the 850 also? I have 99 850. I am 6'2" and find the standard screen tends to deflect the air that would otherwise hit my upper body onto my helmet, creating a lot of noise and buffeting. Can the screen be fitted without having to drill any extra holes etc?
If will fit my bike I will take one. I am just the other side of the water on the Mornington Peninsula.
Rick \m/
0438 048 766

Howdy Snigdog. Sounds like EXACTLY the same experience I had with the standard screen on my 9er. It was horrendous! sad.gif

Distances of mounting holes on the TDM900 are as follows: top to bottom = 200mm left to right Bottom = 180mm left to right Top = 305mm

That's approximate as I curled the tape across the screen while measuring.

The shape & curvature of the Mk1 & Mk2 850's look different to the 900, but it might be possible to design one to fit them. I have seen a couple of 850's
getting around Hobart but I don't know the guys so haven't got a close look at their bikes as yet.
If you know someone with a 900 that you can compare your 850 screen with that would help heaps.

have a merry Xmas.

PS. I make this screen to bolt on, no drilling your bike required rotflmmfao.gif

#18 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:55 am

QUOTE(sidestand @ Sun 21st Dec 2008, 04:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would be interested in one of those after Christmas mate........

Sounds like MI4 in the making ? tongue.gif laugh.gif

Hope you succeed, they are a fantastic & versatile bike with a few little farkles done. good.gif

merry Xmas too ya! drinks.gif

#19 adibabi

adibabi

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:09 pm

Hi shane
Can you confirm you got my order the other day. money has been paid into your paypal
TDM 900, OXFORD HEATED GRIPS, BMW R1150 GS HANDGUARDS, POWER COMMANDER, REMUS REVOLUTION CANS, AIRBOX MOD, SCOTT OILER, GIVI HARD LUGAGE, BRAIDED HOSES, CUSTOM SCREEN, GARMIN ZUMO 550 SAT NAV

#20 Toraneko

Toraneko

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:53 am

QUOTE(adibabi @ Sun 25th Jan 2009, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi shane
Can you confirm you got my order the other day. money has been paid into your paypal

Thanks mate, sent you a PM. Your screen kit will be on it's way asap. drinks.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users