dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,118 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:57 pm

DRZ 400

The digital display goes completely out, leading to sudden enjun braking and sharted pants!!

I did wonder if it was a side stand switch or summat but this doesn't turn the dash off.

So I'm guessing ignition barrel is plopped but any other suggestions before I search for a replacement?

Cheers
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:43 pm

I'm just back from a highland tour (Mini one) with my mate on his Ducrapi Multiwhatsist and it did the same thing! sometime knocking the instrument panel off and sometimes not, Bloody scary on a nip and tuck overtake on highland roads, so we tied a cable tie around the spring on the the sidestand to the sidestand to tension it a bit in case it was sagging going over bumps, it was worst between Ballachulish and Oban and a couple of times after leaving oban, so we stopped at Lochgilphead and done the fix, and it never missed a beat to Moffat :good:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:57 pm

Safety cut out switch (Big Red Button) playing up ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:49 am

I did try hoiking down the sidestand while riding along and it cut enjun but not dash, so pretty sure its not that. Though apparently common on durrrz. Prolly even more pant sharting in highlands on Ducati!!!

Ahh big red button. Will give it pokey prod SR ta.

With enjun not running, I cycled ignition on/off a number of times and noticed once in about 10 goes turning on the ignition is not activating the dash/ignition.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,779 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:43 am

Sounds like a dodgy ignition switch to me. Might be worth giving it a good squirt of electrickery contact cleaner down the key hole to flush out any debris. Common thing on Moto Guzzi apparently.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:54 am

Just reading aboot that Twev. Very easy to remove, so oil tek it off for a good perusal.

Also someone had a problem with there being play atwix the internal barrel and external sleeve what caused similar symptoms to mine which looked easily fixable.

Cheers

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:34 am

Another successful morning!! Took ignition switch off. Didn't have any electrical squirt, so cleaned out with gentle compressed air. And managed to get 10 out of 10 ignitions on.

Noticed that it had no protective boot that I had seen elsewhere, so made wan ...still working fine. Attached back on bike ...and .... Noubt. Dont work at all now. At least its now consistent!!!

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:11 pm

.... And now works fine!!! At least I am sure its the switch. :-)

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:46 pm

Oh dear daps it's frustrating innit, best have a bit of cake matey  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:10 pm

I'm right on the cake thing dabbers. Still some birthday cakeys lion aboot. :-)

#11 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:41 pm

Maybe look in Christmas cake box for a switch then

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#12 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:02 pm

My mates Multiwhatsit had a split in the sidestand switch body and was full of water when he investigated on Monday, and said it looked like a stone had impacted it to cause the damage, the new switch arrived today, so should be good for Sunday :good:

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:07 pm

Has Alan bought a multiwoopsit then Jono  :huh:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:38 pm

Yeah had it since last year :good:

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,118 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:56 pm

Ignition switch thoroughly cleaned. New dust/shOite boot fitted over switch. All good now. No more false ons or sudden offs.

Thanks for the help. :-*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users