• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#41 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 July 2007 - 12:38 pm

good pics. that MKI has interesting instruments.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#42 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:22 pm

What, no lederhosen ? blink.gif

You'd've thought that German efficiency would've made the boating licence waterproof rolleyes.gif

Keep up the blog erdferkel good.gif

Stu

#43 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 02:57 pm

hi there,

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good pics. that MKI has interesting instruments.

this is an electronic instrument panel by touratech, lots of functions, can be programmed and eveything. needed a few reboots on the trip though.....

QUOTE(stu @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What, no lederhosen ? blink.gif
You'd've thought that German efficiency would've made the boating licence waterproof rolleyes.gif
Keep up the blog erdferkel good.gif

it was swabia, not bavaria wink.gif
well the licence can swim at least wink.gif (the papers did not get wet, 'cause i kept them in my waterproof pockets of the textile suit. that's why i don't use lederhosen any more.....) rotflmmfao.gif
btw, i once handed the boating licence to a policeman who stopped me for a general vehicle inspection in the pouring rain...he had a sense of humour, too blink.gif

and i'll keep posting here, there is still a small anecdote from the MT waiting to be told, but i'll have to take a picture first...

glückauf
ralf

(and, yes, i know what the animal "erdferkel" really is, for the explanation of my usage of the word, please see post #6, second theory in this thread biggrin.gif )

#44 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 03:06 pm

ah, to illustrate this muddy pig/erdferkel thing i'll add a few muddy pics of my now dead MTB (frame broke)

it works in the snow as well:

glückauf

ralf
(pig with a bucket full of photos..)

#45 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:01 pm

[quote name='erdferkel' date='Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 03:42 PM' post='46294']
hi there,
this is an electronic instrument panel by touratech, lots of functions, can be programmed and eveything. needed a few reboots on the trip though.....

is this "Mr. Extra 6bhp cos i cut open me airbox" ??

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#46 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2007 - 05:55 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is this "Mr. Extra 6bhp cos i cut open me airbox" ??

nope, this is klaus58, the guy who rides as instructor on trackdays, he really can ride his MKI. it has a french plate and is strongly modified: trx pistons and higher compression, carbs fine tuned with a lambda sensor, 120/160 pilot power (17" front wheel) r1 brakes, fork from a edit: yzf 600 r thundercat, leo vince 2 in one, öhlins rear shock.....

edit: and the instrument panel can be found here:
touratech webshop
credit to the edit wink.gif to paul...

glückauf

ralf
(list of my own rather humble mods will follow)

Edited by erdferkel, 03 July 2007 - 06:53 pm.

#47 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:10 pm

QUOTE(erdferkel @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nope, this is klaus58, the guy who rides as instructor on trackdays, he really can ride his MKI. it has a french plate and is strongly modified: trx pistons and higher compression, carbs fine tuned with a lambda sensor, 120/160 pilot power (17" front wheel) r1 brakes, fork from a edit: yzf 600 r thundercat, leo vince 2 in one, öhlins rear shock.....

ah was trying to work out what it had done, it looks a lot lower than normal
is ground clearance an issue?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#48 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:05 pm

Those bikes look very small. Special camera effect?

#49 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:13 pm

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the rider is a big lump of a lad i tink.

#50 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:56 am

aloha,

QUOTE(Toneski @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah was trying to work out what it had done, it looks a lot lower than normal
is ground clearance an issue?

he has no problems with ground clearance. the 2 in 1 leo vince SBK is much higher than the stock pipes and he has made his own footpeg plates that rise the pegs a couple of cm.

QUOTE(danceswithmopeds @ Tue 3rd Jul 2007, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

doubtfull.gif do you mean the TDMs? well, the bikes are as big as they come wink.gif, i'm 192cm and about 100 kilos. klaus is over 2m.
imagine me sitting on a R6 or so...it always makes people smile when i try out a crotch rocket.....

btw i had my seat rebuilt yesterday and added about 4cm height. verrrry nice.
sunday should be dry so i might take it for a test ride to ruppertshofen then.
friday is going to be shitty again.

if you mean the bicycle, it had a frame size of 57 cm. the seat was 120cm over ground. dunno if that's small by carpe standards wink.gif

glückauf
ralf

(small pig or large boar?)

#51 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:07 pm

QUOTE(erdferkel @ Thu 5th Jul 2007, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm 192cm and about 100 kilos.

For Thomas' benefit, that's over 6 ft 3 in and nearly 16 stone. tongue.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#52 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:29 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 5th Jul 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For Thomas' benefit, that's over 6 ft 3 in and nearly 16 stone. tongue.gif

Americans understand pounds better - 220 lbs

#53 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:42 pm

long time - no write...sorry....

there were a few loose ends, so i shall see to that first:

the bycicle frame was replaced at last and now i own an 2007 steppenwolf timber frame, since the manufacturer of the old bike could not provide replacement and my dealer arranged this new frame..it works much better than the old one.

and as promised a pic of my new seat on the "dicke":

the seat of the xt will be modified at the end of this month...my behind is really looking forward to this. i tested the new seat on the way to RTT07 and it was great.

introduction
well after a few stressfull weeks of academic depression and renovating flats i finally find the time and the peace of mind to ramble on again....reaching this peace of mind was today's episode:

golden autumn days or it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow

32280km (ye olde xt) ruhr valley, germany

so this afternoon i decided that the battery of the old xt needs recharging and i take the thumper out of the shed, put the helmet on and set out to a little ride around my home turf in the bergisches land.
after i leave the last town between me and the curves i take a look at the oil temp: 80°C
i really enjoy the torque of the old single and hear the exhaust rumbling and farting when i open the throttle in the curves. the metzler enduro 4 were made for the big trailies like tiger, bmw-gs or varadero and barely notice the 44hp coming out of the 600cc..

it begins:

slowly the mind comes to rest and the vibrations of the xt guide the tour and subconsciosly let me choose narrow roads.

i pass an artificial lake, but in the light of the setting sun, it is pure natural beauty:

the twisties get more and more narrow, no cars or people are to be seen:

motorcycling reduced to its essentials: one cylinder, aircooled, two wheels, 22l tank, crappy brakes (make for good cornering speed wink.gif ) and no fancy instrumentation:

sometimes it does not take an cross-continent journey to create an adventure ride. sometimes an old xt and 100km are enough.

when i put the thumper back into the shed again i realize how much at peace body and mind are right now. so it was not the xt's battery that needed recharging, but mine....

glückauf
ralf

#54 Guest_Naboki_*

Guest_Naboki_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2007 - 07:43 pm

Awesome ride Ralf! Great pictures! and fantastic writing, as usual (as little as it was)!
I'd love to have roads like that 'round here... Instead it's all straight as a laser beam with the odd light curve now and then... Hate it!! ..but I'll take a trip in the mountains soon enough... biggrin.gif

Noroc! I'll be waiting for more stories from the ol' german earth-pig smile.gif

Marius

#55 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 02:52 pm

ah yes, so you want more..... be careful what you wish for wink.gif

don't complain that i did not warn you biggrin.gif

introduction

today's weather is great for a little spin in the backyard. the vegetaion slowly prepares for winter hibernation and the streets become less populated. so just put the windproof liner into the riding gear and set out for a ride....or so i thought...

operating hours: unknown, ruhr valley, germany

today's episode: taking the other single for a ride

a i said, autumn is coming and so i took the smallest 4 stroke single in my humble collection of toys with an engine for a little spin in the backyard.

note the ergonomics: wide handlebars, could be a bit higher though.

but it has fully adjustable suspension, so there are no issues with ground clearance. the tyres could provide more traction in wet conditions, but i can cope:

the low center of gravity and rear wheel drive provide great cornering abilities, so the sharp bends in this extraordinary terrain are easy to negotiate:

and the sound, great exhaust, earplugs recommended:

the dicke is beckoning seductively in her shed, but alas, time is a scarce resource today. while my girlfriend is in moscow on a language course i'll visit my friend and university colleague mihail, for a russian style dinner. tinker with his ehternet card in his PC a little and have a good time this evening. we'll remember the "good old times" in proper melancholy and invent false russian proverbs...

so if you think now that the pig is a complete basket case, you are probably right:

glückauf
ralf

btw, the pigs, ahem, pics are of poor quality, because my girlfriend took my digicam to moscow and i have to use the phonecam instead...

#56 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 03:58 pm

Ralf i loike my lawnmower too but it looks loike somthing a Barbie doll would have !!! tell me what ya had done to Dicke's seat please ??

#57 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:03 pm

wow a lawnmower with a turbo, bet that shifts. wink.gif

#58 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2007 - 04:16 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Sat 6th Oct 2007, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ralf i loike my lawnmower too but it looks loike somthing a Barbie doll would have !!! tell me what ya had done to Dicke's seat please ??

hello wicky,

well. i don't like that thing very much, although it is yellow. it was just an experiment, to see if the motorcycle journal auto texts could be used in an different context. and indeed, these hollow shells of words have become so meaningless, it works...

the seat: i had about 3cm of hard foam added, then the sadler applied layers of thin foam, a kind of cotton wool (polysomething, not real cotton), waterproof foil and a microfibre bidirectional stretch outer layer, that provides better friction than the original cover, especially with the textile pants.

overall height gain was about 4cm, costs 90€, done in solingen by niklas lange: www.sitzbankbezieher.de

glückauf
ralf

#59 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:05 pm

good lad Ralf, it looks loike a professional job and comfortable.

#60 Guest_erdferkel_*

Guest_erdferkel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:50 am

hi tps fans,

i just wrote up a report of my test ride of the f800s by bmw in another thread.
as it is a ride report of some kind and a somewhat surrealistic experience, i post it here as well.

hope you like it...

i was riding home from my usual 250km round in my playground and made a stop at the "bigge grill" near olpe in the sauerland. i had to top up my coffee, fuel was still plenty in my dicke. while i was enjoying the hot beverage i consider my own fule my eyes fell on a group of young and beautiful people all dressed alike in bmw riding gear. (2 guys, 2 girls) i then saw a range of brand new beemers on the parking ground and one of the girls approached me, and asked me if i wanted to tet ride a beemer.
first i finished my coffee and then i tried to sit on an 1200 sport boxer. too bad, my legs were too long and the knee protectors too volumious to fit into the grooves in the tank.
then i tried to sit on the f800s, i hardly managed to fold my 192cm into place and my size 46 steeel toed firefighter boots were barely fitting under the gear lever.
then the hostess talked me through the instruments, i saw the bike do its boot routine just like my pc and was told, that if i stalled the engine, i'd have to remove the key and put it back, so the immobilizer would recognize it as a legitimate starting attempt.
it even has a gear indicator, bit i can cope with 6 gears...the 27 gears on the MTB might justify one, but 6 gears..dunno...
my asking for the abs to be switched off was met with beautiful but unbelieving eyes.
ok, then i'll have to make do with abs.
with a loud clunk that would be appropriate for heavy agricultural machinery i finally managed to put it into 1st gear and left the parking space for a 30 minutes ride.
i did not know this bike, so i took it easy, did not exceed 100mph/160kph and chose a road with good asphalt and curves i know by heart.
remember, i'm on a bike that costs about 10k€ in germany...
now brace for impact....
the fork was so soft, that when i braked before curves it dived onto the blocks, thus the frontwheel was jumping on the small bumos and the abs was cutting in, where my tdm suspension just irons out these small waves in the asphalt. riding there with the tdm or the xt i never noticed the surface was that bad. the fork suspension is not adjustable, only preload and damping on the rear)
the bike handled like a 250kg whale, possibly due to the wide 120/180 tyres. conti sport attack, good grip though
oherwise the brakes were ok, no significant difference to my tdm.
the footpegs were placed so unergonomically that an average grown central european like me was not able to put the tips of the boots on them.. i left a few grams of heat resistant rubber sole on this ride....
the engine was powerful above 5000rpm, under 4000rpm it delivered the mighty torque of an electric toothbrush. but it has a lot of character....shakes more than "ye olde xt" despite its "counterweight piston"
the gearbox and the beltdrive....well, how can i put it in "safe for work" words..... if you think the tdm gearbox is bad, try the f800...it makes noises like a tractor gearbox and has an incredible amount of play in the whole transmission section. there was a lot of hesitation to translate my throttle commands into movement and every time i closed and opened the throttle the f800s acompanied this action with metallic clunking noises...
the overall impression of build-qualitiy corresponded the driving experience, cheap plastics that did not fit well and startet vibrating noisily. the "tank" is just a mockup of plastic panels (not a bad thing in itself, keeps the COG down) but it creaked like an old pirate barge around cape hoorn.
when i returned to the "grill" and returned the bike, the pretty hostess asked me how i liked the bike.
she was a little disturbed by my answer: "would you like a friendly or an honest statement?"
i stated my subjective criticism and was interrupted ba one of the male bmw riding gear models: "who returned this bike?"
i looked a little confused.."i did, why? something wrong?"
he pointed to the little crumbs of rubber that were coming off the rear tyre, no chicken strips visible: "this - on a test ride...holy sh**. what did you do?" (well losing the chicken strips on an 180 can be done commuting in the city)
"just tried to ride it like i ride my dicke, as a contemplative touring rider."
one last observation that kind of fits in the while concept of this bike: the bikes were traileded there, reasonable idea if someone crashes them, how could you get home...but the "models" were in riding gear and wearing flip flops, because it was warm. but why FFS wear riding gear, if you come by car?!? a normal bmw logo t-shirt would have looked less stupid.

that kind of sums it up: an underpowered, overpriced bike with crappy suspension and bad ergonomics but loads of image. good for the ice-cafe, bad for serious riding.

glückauf
ralf

a pig on a cow? no way wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users