Posted 29 May 2019 - 10:45 pm

+1 for M Shock they set it up for your lardlyness and riding style

#122 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:02 pm

Probably a Hagon shock.  OEM shock springs ar either black or yellow.

... or, like mine, black and yellow....  

Screen%20Shot%202019-05-30%20at%2022.41.

mine is less erm soiled but as of now the black section of spring is in a box, hence the lowrider look......  got to decide whether to replace the top spring (ie make the whole shooting match look like it should) or buy a whole new aftermarket unit 

(as previously discussed.)

Removing the top section was the only way to lower, courtesy of previous owner......

#123 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:26 am

Make a pogo stick and buy aftermarket :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#124 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 June 2019 - 01:20 pm

+1 for M Shock they set it up for your lardlyness and riding style

+ another one for M Shock. I fitted one to my 900 earlier in the year and I’m impressed with the quality of the shock and the service :)

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#125 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:09 pm

So the 850 I've picked up on the cheap (£1200, only 11k miles and HPI clear but a bit tatty) had one outstanding feature, in every sense....

It's been brutally lowered, fore and aft. What looks like around a third of the rear spring was handed to me in a box on purchase. It looks like this actually sits above the in situ yellow spring.  The forks have been brought through the yoke accordingly.  It looks preposterous, like a lowrider and the full system - which looks like it may have been a Remus - adds to this impression with the racket which is borderline offensive. All that's missing are the ape hangers (and tassles).....

The really weird part is that it actually handles pretty good, you can sling it around, but the aesthetics are obviously an issue. Is it worth just reinstalling the stuff in the box, or should I look aftermarket? Another option would be to refurb the in situ shock and then put the whole shooting match back together.  I've never had a bike where the rear spring could simply be divided. Apparently this was the standard lowering procedure  :dunno:  

hello,  can we see a pic of the low rider please,  interested to see how it looks

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#126 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:50 pm

Sure, will get a few pix done and post.

Then I may well reinstate the original top (black) spring as in pic above to compare the way it handles now vs full height.

The Low rider handling is exceptional,  would be even better with some heavier fork oil, stickier rubber  and quality rear damping. As it is, its probably the easiest knee down bike I've ever had and there have been a few. Bizarre really but there you go.

#127 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:57 am

Well oi think the mk2 is an absolute peach on the bends, even at normal height, just cant stand that stupid bloody oil sight glass.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#128 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:12 pm

lowride as requested.

IMG_0930_zpsfnzmfzcz.jpg

IMG_0940_zps8f0uj8ps.jpg

in theory the removal of the black, upper section of spring would limit available travel. But that also depends on spring rate / rider sag which is why it isn't constantly bottoming out. I'm still going to try and restore it to full height for a comparison.

Edited by the969, 05 June 2019 - 03:19 pm.

#129 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:32 am

A 2014 R1 shock will fit the 3vd if you mount it upside down, and you make room for the canister by modifying/replacing the oil tank of the bike with a smaller one. And you need to fit the original longest spring from the 3vd shock as well. A lot of work, but it is doable, and works very well once installed.

#130 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:43 pm

A 2014 R1 shock will fit the 3vd if you mount it upside down, and you make room for the canister by modifying/replacing the oil tank of the bike with a smaller one. And you need to fit the original longest spring from the 3vd shock as well. A lot of work, but it is doable, and works very well once installed.

Well I've put the shock back from shortarse to standard. Because of this, I also took the precaution of bringing the forks back up to standard position - they'd been lowered about 35mm to match the dropped arse.

Rear suspension now has more travel, obviously, and there's a bit of damping left in the original shock for the moment. However, I probably will drop the front back a tad, like maybe 10/15 mm.

#131 fcb

fcb

arrived on last train

• 4 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:06 pm

Can anyone tell me what the diameter is of the flange bolt at the top of the rear shock unit please?

Spare parts number - 90105-10402.

I've looked up all the parts suppliers, but cant find any that give the dimension of the bolt.

Thanks.

#132 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:52 am

Can anyone tell me what the diameter is of the flange bolt at the top of the rear shock unit please?

I've looked up all the parts suppliers, but cant find any that give the dimension of the bolt.

Thanks.

How ya FCB,   this is quite cheap so maybe worth simply buying it. https://www.ebay.co....tm/202780282351

Well I've put the shock back from shortarse to standard. Because of this, I also took the precaution of bringing the forks back up to standard position - they'd been lowered about 35mm to match the dropped arse.

Rear suspension now has more travel, obviously, and there's a bit of damping left in the original shock for the moment. However, I probably will drop the front back a tad, like maybe 10/15 mm.

happy with the result?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#133 the969

the969

sticking around

• 28 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:25 pm

happy with the result?

Yup,  thing was by lowering fore and aft in proportion the bike still handled fine, but the relative  lack of suspension travel didn't do anyones arse any favours.

And it looked pretty strange, not really in a good way.

So I returned rear shock to normal, forks to 10mm short of normal and used thicker oil and less of an air gap to boot, just to give it a bit more feel. Having done that I then adjusted the rebound damping as required. And stuck some new tyres on. Bike handles fine, she's a heavy old girl so you have to believe

a bit but that bit is the same for everyone.....

#134 Moj779

Moj779

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 01 April 2021 - 03:20 pm

Hi,

New to the site. There is a picture on 2nd page of this topic of a silver/yellow TDM with a complete lower fairing belly pan. OP is Pict. Does anyone know where this fairing was purchased?

Andy

#135 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 April 2021 - 06:34 pm

Hi,

New to the site. There is a picture on 2nd page of this topic of a silver/yellow TDM with a complete lower fairing belly pan. OP is Pict. Does anyone know where this fairing was purchased?

Andy

Just been re-reading some of this thread, some good people posting in there.

Can't help with your question sorry. Pict hasn't posted here for quite a while now, hope he's doing well.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#136 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 01 April 2021 - 07:21 pm

Was a set for sale quite recently on ebay, dunno if they went, i think not but you may be able to find out if you know your way around ebay..

#137 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 April 2021 - 08:17 am

Hi,

Andy

Skidmarx sell fairing lowers https://www.skidmarx...-fairing-lowers

Oh and hello and welcome.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#138 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 April 2021 - 04:43 pm

Thanks.

I think it's 10mm. I've been looking at alternatives. The MT-09 looks like a good bet (based on the dimensions listed int he YSS shock catalogue), except the spring is probably 25% too soft so that would need changing.

Anyway, these are the bush sizes at either end of the shock

TOP (mm): 10x30

BOTTOM (mm): f.30x12

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#139 Moj779

Moj779

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:11 pm

Nice one Studley Ramrod  Thats it ok

#140 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 03:25 pm

a Kawasaki Versys 650 shock fit's MK1 (3VD) and MK2 (4TX) TDM 850 with relative ease.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users