#1 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 30 July 2015 - 05:15 pm

Evening all,

So since I've been on this site I've seen loads about this airbox mod thing. Now, I'm not the sort of biker who tinkers and fixes things on his bike, no no, not since I changed the chain on my TS 50 and the dealer called it a "Death-trap"!!

Topping up the oil is as far as it goes for me, Just don't trust myself. But I reckon I could pull this airbox mod off if given really basic instructions to follow...really basic!

So does a 2013 9er even need the mod? And what exactly does it improve?

Anyone willing to hold my hand through this reckless endeavour???

Thanks.

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 July 2015 - 06:17 pm

Where D'ya reside Norse man

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 08:05 pm

England. Danish ancestry.

#4 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:40 pm

Maybe since you're unsure what it does, your 2013 9er does not need it. It is about minimising throttle snatch.

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#5 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 04:44 pm

I think I've read that not every bike has this problem and that the mod is not really necessary for later 9ers as the carburation was remapped, If you aren't aware of any low speed snatching I suggest you don't bother with the mod.  I've had my 2009 niner for about a year, I had loads of low speed snatch when I first had the bike and after reading all about the mod was certain this would solve the problem - then before doing it I adjusted the chain and guess what low speed snatch eliminated, and the bike now runs perfectly smoothly at low speed

#6 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:38 pm

Could you be a little more specific?
I don't mind riding somewhere to assist if it's required but while distance isn't an issue, time is. 😛

Edited by celticbiker, 31 July 2015 - 05:38 pm.

#7 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:48 pm

Hi - was it you that got the PC3 installed? If so you won't need the airbox mod IMHO.

#8 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 08:00 pm

I'm in south-eastern Leicestershire, bang on the Northamptonshire border, Market Harborough.

No its not me with the PC3, My bikes pretty much stock, mechanically wise, at the moment. But I'm starting a total upgrade, as much as my knowledge and understanding will allow!

Oh, and I'm not entirely sure what throttle snatch is, but if its a kind jerkiness at low speed then I get it fairly often.

#9 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:41 pm

The snatch appears when opening the throttle from a closed position. In traffic, when that happened a lot it drove me nuts. And that was just taking the bike home after buying it. The airbox mod did it for mine. That was a 2006 model (9er).

1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#10 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:40 pm

Pull the hose off.
or you can set the throttle open.
Take the hose in his mouth while driving and suck.
You will see that your bike runs as always.
Speed, fuel consumption and acceleration is always the same.

Limbo

without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#11 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:39 pm

The airbox mod works but also check the connections on your two coils for corrosion. Change the coils if it persists. Its easy to do and cheap too. Could well be the problem. The connectors get wet quite a bit

#12 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:13 pm

Not too far away from me. If you need a hand with anything, just shout. I have a few tools I made up to take care of any jobs that arise on the niners.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:27 pm

He knows a bit about 900s too! You could wait until the next fettle, AliG normally has one in April.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#14 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:39 pm

I'm a newbie here, and new to TDMs too.

I've just bought an '02 model which exhibits all the snatch/jerkiness issues which the airbox mod seems to instantly cure - so following the excellent JBX link, opted to cure via Route 2. Off came the fairings, lifted up the tank - and there before me was the airbox - with a great big screw head rammed into the rubber tube, and a large hole where the actuator used to be.

Could this missing actuator be the cause of my problem? Will sealing the hole restore the peace and calm that the mod is supposed to deliver?

Would welcome your comments!

#15 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:00 pm

I've come across this recently.
The previous owner had done nothing wrong, along with the airbox mod was a k&n some engine work, zorsts and a power commander .
All this work being done and the actuator removed it was then tuned to work in this state and work it did.
What I found though was that the flap in the air inlet was loose and would occasionally rise and reduce the air flow causing a stutter and then dropping again.
Fixed this with a dab of super glue.
While I was there I covered the hole in the top of the airbox because the engineer in me didn't like it.
Nothing fancy just a bit of plastic, rubber glue and duct tape.
It actually made a big difference, where the acceleration before was hard and insistent and rightly so, blocking that hole smoothed it out at the lower end of the revs.
Give it a try with just duct tape, if it doesn't help you can always undo it.

Edited by celticbiker, 21 December 2015 - 08:03 pm.

#16 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:47 pm

Many thanks - will give it a try. As you say, leaving an open hole just seems... wrong!

#17 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:50 am

Many thanks - will give it a try. As you say, leaving an open hole just seems... wrong!

Yes, you should close all open holes on the airbox...

top_640.png

#18 OBxx11

OBxx11

sticking around

• 21 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:15 pm

I think I've read that not every bike has this problem and that the mod is not really necessary for later 9ers as the carburation was remapped,

Would it help if you just fitted a later ECU to an older model if they are remapped or is it not that simple  :P

possibly easier and less costly than going the PC3 route :unsure2:

Just thinking out loud here as Ive done the 'disconnect electrically' wire removal option and still not happy 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users