#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:06 pm

It was a short, mad summer (I'm told  :unsure2: ) but I think it affected the public perception of bikers for decades after. I also think that perception hindered motorcycle sport in the UK in a way that the rest of Europe and Ireland were't affected. It's only since bike racing was professionally publicised on tv in the 90s did Joe Public start to take notice and see motorcycles in a positive light. Johnny Rea's runner up spot on the Beeb's sports personality of the year just wouldn't have happened 20 years ago. Only Barry Sheene managed to break the "dirty, fighting biker" image by appearing on national telly advertising - pity it smelled of tarted up bathwater.

That was a blast from the past !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 April 2018 - 01:09 pm

Looks like some sorta owners club meet today. Orange boikes... Not TDMs ... And that's me boike recognition skills almost exhausted. 😀
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#23 Swarf

Swarf

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:28 pm

Just watched both of em on t'interwebs, I've seen worse if I'm honest. Just nice to see some positive biking without bellowing yanks all ower the case....

#24 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 08:32 pm

Woohoo will have TV access this week so might catch mystic baldric. :badgerrock:

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#25 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 April 2018 - 09:45 pm

Fell asleep i did :rolleyes:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#26 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 08:52 am

It's repeated on a friday and a sunday ont' telly.......I think. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#27 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 12:20 pm

But main one is on Wednesday right? As I won't have TV Friday or Sunday 😃

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 01:07 pm

Yeth. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 02:41 pm

Great ta. Just gotta remember now. 😉

#30 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:43 pm

I remembered!!! Nearly mystic baldric time 😀

#31 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 07:58 pm

:lol:

#32 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:59 pm

I remembered!!! Nearly mystic baldric time

Nearly mystic Baldrick   ? About right ;)

South African tour looks good

Edited by fixitsan, 18 April 2018 - 08:59 pm.

#33 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:18 pm

One of the best rides ever route 66 haaaaaa. It would certainly "change my life" as I bloody hate motorways. Driving in straight lions give me tourettes.

I fell asleep in last 15 mins and about the only channel without a +1 version.

#34 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:06 pm

New Zealand looks nice though!

#35 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:40 pm

New Zealand looks nice though!

It does doesn't it. Got a nephew over there. Might give it a whirl one day

Dap I agree about Route 66. My Mrs thought it seemed great and I just thought straight lines and squared off tyres

#36 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:57 pm

Not a great fan of H Cole ... a bit of style over substance I think. But that applies to most car/bike TV programmes. Don't start me on (infantile) Top Gear. They seem to think all bikes are used for is sport, leisure, and "creative" or rebellious expression. 

We forget that 2 wheelers are (still) primarily a cheap, convenient, speedy and flexible form of transport all over the world. The most important motor vehicle on the planet I think is still the Honda 50 and its derivatives. These are only my views of course ... and I realise how boring a programme might seem just extolling the virtues of 125cc scooters versus 90cc step-thru or whatever. However, I still enjoy mooching around the "utility" stuff at shows rather than the sports/custom stuff.

By the way ... Mods and Rockers battles were really focussed on that Easter/Bank Holiday 1964.  I was hitch-hiking/youth hostelling around UK that year as a 15 year old, and I remember it was much in the news but we realised it was mostly driven by the press themselves.

Currently I guess we do need another ambassador for the sport in the way that Sheene was. Fogarty could have been that but didn't want to I guess, and its unlikely we get another MotoGP champ while factories focus on Spain Italy where their major sales are. Cruchlow will always suffer because of this suppose

Sorry for rambling on ... it's part of getting old

P7

p.s just to cheer you up I attached a nice rocker bike ... :)  

Attached Files

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#37 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:17 am

Currently I guess we do need another ambassador for the sport in the way that Sheene was. Fogarty could have been that but didn't want to I guess, and its unlikely we get another MotoGP champ while factories

Hasn't Guy Martin got that job already ?

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:58 am

Yeah, was just thinking Guy would fit the bill, pity he doesn't do more motorbike stuff.

Call that a South Africa tour ! :lol:  All that way to spot a centipede and look at some hippos heads bobbing up n down. Off-roading at walking pace was a joke. 'Riding at this pace really sharpens up your slow riding skills' bollox. :rolleyes:  Nice scenery though. :)

#39 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 April 2018 - 09:52 am

Agreed .... GM has done wonders in last few years. And it was varied as well, not just on 2 wheels .. perhaps BECAUSE it was not just 2 wheels.

Looking forward to his next escapades

:good:

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#40 Talltom87

Talltom87

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 11:09 am

My brother was the operator of the CNC machine at jcb, when Guy was building that tank. Even got on TV!! Haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users