#82 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:38 am

Any chance of someone puttinf the dates and details on the first post of one of these threads?

I'm thinking I'll probably get the ferry to Cherbourg and take 2 dasy to bimble down the scenic route with the tend on the back. Anyone else thinking similar things? Anyone know good places to visit on the way?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#83 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:05 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Sat 14th Feb 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any chance of someone puttinf the dates and details on the first post of one of these threads?

I'm thinking I'll probably get the ferry to Cherbourg and take 2 dasy to bimble down the scenic route with the tend on the back. Anyone else thinking similar things? Anyone know good places to visit on the way?

Big D and I are going via Plymouth - Santander. Taking a couple of days to get to the campsite. Decided to take tents at last minute as no real hassle and get to see the Spannish roads. Return is Cherbourg - Poole once again probably take two days. Leave on 5th returning on 11th.

#84 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 February 2009 - 12:30 pm

Just over 100 miles from Cherbourg is Mont St Michel which is certainly worth a look, and if you have the time and can use the quieter roads on the west coast of the Cherbourg peninsular to travel south, you get great distant views of MSM.

Bit further south and a little east is Le Mans, though there's not a great deal there to see really and the city itself never struck me as especially picturesque.

Thats it for me as I've never been further south, until July! laugh.gif
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#85 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:23 pm

Chris, this is an edited version of the original post detailing dates and venue which is atken from another RTT09 thread. I have also added this to the first posting in this thread so it should be accessible to everyone. Hope this is what you meant.

Guinness set the RTT dates in stone a few months ago as July 4th to 11th. The Motocamp runs their rentals of caravans or cabins Saturday to Saturday and I suppose this doesn't matter for the camping. For anyone who missed the earlier threads (about a week after RTT08 I think!) this place is run by a Dutch couple of bikers for bikers in an amazing part of France. I talked to them and they offered us discounts for a group booking and would have ridesout planned for us as well as a list of other places worth a visit. They have a restaurant on site and a bar that stays open as long as anybody is standing. They organise music nights with local rock bands. There is the added pleasure of the drive down and back from the channel enjoying a Routier lunch or two!

While I am at it I think endo should be credited with coming up with the original suggestion for considering Motocamp.

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#86 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:00 pm

Anyone know good places to visit on the way?

Hi Chris

good to see you are coming along.

This is a link ...... http://www.oradour.info/ .... to somewhere that everyone should visit.

It's not your obvious tourist destination but a massive reminder of the brutality of war. I'm seriously considering calling in again on my return to Cherbourg ( it is THAT moving).

They are very motorcycle friendly and they allowed us to store our gear in a cupboard last time. You should seriously consider it.

Edited by big dave, 14 February 2009 - 08:44 pm.

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#87 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:40 pm

Cheers Chris.

Dave, I do military related work and tend to find that kind of stuff quite interesting. I'll probably try and visit the beaches and pegasus bridge on the way back. That site looks worth a visit.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#88 stormy

stormy

RIP stormy

• Members
  • 1,637 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:28 pm

QUOTE(stormy @ Fri 13th Feb 2009, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Been looking at the 1st July to Santander myself actually, £132 me + bike + recliner seat thingy one way, cos I'll ride back through France, making a round trip of it all.

Still not 100% that I can go, but definitly in planning stage, just in case!

Mike

DOH!!!

Of course, me going on the 1st and coming back on the 5th would mean I'm a week early ....... istupid.gif

back to the drawing/planning board! laugh.gif
RIP STORMY - killed by careless driver Oct 2009

currently owned ....
1996 YAMAHA TRX850 gone away for little holiday with Andrea
1997 YAMAHA TDM850 which are obviously an acquired taste. I fink I'm starting to get it now.....
1998 DUCATI 748 ... one way of keeping an old man broke.
1999 YAMAHA Thunderace there is STILL no finer motorcycle
2008 SUZUKI Bandit 1250SA ...... fecked by yours truly, but ......... still fitted with the worlds most uncomfortable bike seat. ouch!

#89 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:43 pm

Might be worth holding off a bit before booking a ferry - both Brittany Ferries and P & O prices dropping.
The return from Bilbao to Portsmouth dropped around £35 for me Bongo/trailer and 2 peeps since January. Total came to £470 including cabin, evening meals and breaky pimp.gif Just got to sort out the Channel crossing now.
Oh, and.............drop me a PM for discount codes for Brittany, P & O, LD Lines, Norfolkline, SeaFrance - any savings can be paid in beer drinks.gif

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users