#1 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:17 pm

Hi,

Having never been out the country on a bike, what do i need to take(document wise)?

can anyone do me a noob list

thanks Dave

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#2 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:57 pm

Document wise you need
Licence and Passport.
Photo copy of Insurance, V5 and Mot.
I take contact details for breakdown recovery as well.
Dont forget tickets for travel!!

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 March 2009 - 05:04 pm

and travel insurance, most policys dont cover you while riding motorcycles and not all personal accident cover is valid outside of UK even if your policy covers your bike

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:20 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Sat 7th Mar 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Document wise you need
Licence and Passport.
I take contact details for breakdown recovery as well.
Dont forget tickets for travel!!

As above

what I normally do as a backup, is to scan all my documents and print out a spare copy and also save the files on a cd / memory stick and store them under the seat

BD

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#5 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:17 pm

Thanks Fella's good.gif

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:33 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Sat 7th Mar 2009, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

most Belgian cops will not accept a photocopy as a valid insurance document. I assume it will be similar in other mainland countries...

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 07 March 2009 - 07:33 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#7 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:42 pm

Must admit - i always take originals AND photocopies - I like the memery stick idea though Dave good.gif

Plus don't forget your European Health Card (the one that replaces the E111) - and check it's still valid as they do have an expiry date !

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#8 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 07:42 pm

Strictly speaking its the same here. However with the details on the photocopy they can check with the insurer if its valid.
In England if you dont have your docks to hand you just get a producer by the police. This gives you 7 days to bring the missing documents to a police station of your choice.

#9 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 08:43 pm

Depends where you're going, but always worth checking the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), becuse you'll get the very latest information (there's everything from documents, medicine & health, problems and threats, as well as more general information about the country, also importantly where the consulate is and phone numbers, in case of any problems. (oh and don't forget to make a note of the emergency services numbers...most of europe 911 will do, but that's not always the case...and sometimes its different for different emergency services)

see FOC Site (Home Page)

see here for FRANCE

See here for Europe (then select your country)

From FCO on France...

Local Travel

Road Travel

Advice on driving outside the UK can be obtained from motoring organisations such as the AA and RAC.

Information on safety and potential traffic black spots is available on the French government website: http://www.bison-fut...ipement.gouv.fr. This website is only available in French.

To drive in France you must be 18 years old and have a valid UK driving licence, insurance and vehicle documents. Failure to comply may lead to a fine and/or your vehicle being impounded. You are not permitted to drive at 17 even if you hold a valid licence. If you do not own the vehicle you are driving, you are advised to obtain written permission from the registered owner.

It is obligatory to carry a warning triangle and reflective jacket. The reflective jacket must be stored inside the vehicle itself. Non-compliance is a fineable offence.

Driving regulations in France are different from those in the UK. Speeding can result in heavy, on the spot fines and potentially immediate confiscation of your vehicle and licence.

In 2007 there were 4,620 road deaths in France (source: DfT). This equates to 7.3 road deaths per 100,000 of population and compares to the UK average of 5.0 road deaths per 100,000 of population in 2007. Many drivers undertake long journeys in, or through, France. Care should be taken to plan journeys and take regular breaks.

In-car radar detectors are illegal in France whether in use or not. If caught with one, you are liable to fines and/or, confiscation of the device and the vehicle.

Edited by E.T., 07 March 2009 - 08:47 pm.

#10 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:15 pm

Nice reply ET. What about sat navs then?

#11 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:59 am

radar detectors are illegal almost everywhere in Europe.
GPS-based speed camera warnings are legal though. Except in Switzerland, even when turned off. Do not load Swiss speed cameras in your GPS.
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#12 Guest_Matt_G_*

Guest_Matt_G_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:31 am

What's the situation with warning triangles and Hi viz jackets for bikes? Is it the same as cars? If so, where would you have to keep the jacket, somewhere you could get it without getting off the bike?

When riding in Africa I scanned everything including my travel insurance details and the emergency numbers for my credit cards and sent them to my Hotmail account. That way if everything went I could go to an internet cafe and print off copies.

#13 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:59 am

Excellent idea!

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:13 am

Spare bulbs? (not a document but could help you from needing to produce em)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#15 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:06 pm

QUOTE(Matt_G @ Sun 8th Mar 2009, 10:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's the situation with warning triangles and Hi viz jackets for bikes? Is it the same as cars? If so, where would you have to keep the jacket, somewhere you could get it without getting off the bike?

there has been a lot of discussion about that in several countries, but afaik it hasn't made it into law anywhere yet.
for Germany (and some other countries) a TUV-compliant medical kit is compulsory though.
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#16 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:18 pm

Jo picked up a nice compact warning triangle for me from halfrauds. Fits nice and easy in side pannier. I reckon a high viz and first aid kit are essential if riding off the beaten track. Only need a basic jobby perhaps with a thermal blanket in case cold/shock. I have bodged a mini essentials kit after advice from Chris G containing gaffer tape, puncture repair kit, ties and such. Could keep you on the road and save a hefty bill.

#17 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:57 pm

I bought some bike jump leads from Halfords in a little bag, they fit nicely (together with gaffer tape and cable ties) just tucked inside the RH front fairing. My TDM eats batteries, and if its damp or cold the battery flattens quite quickly. Any nearby biker would stop and help (like they do here), but if you ain't got the tools.

Thinking about it I also had some disposable surgical gloves, just for any of those little dirty jobs (steady!!!) and a head torch, which are feckin brilliant if you're doing stuff with both hands (calm down!!!), a little jar of hand cleaner, and a 50ml alcoholly hand cleaner (which TBH I carrry everywhere with our without bike) its good if you've gotta go miles from nowhere and there's no wash basin.

Just pack some spare cash in a little nook somewhere, just in case you lose your wallet and need to fill up/eat, or in case there's issues with a payment thingy not accepting your card (I had that a few times in Switzerland).

Stick Slime (or equiv) in your tyres, think of it as an insurance policy. always have one extra layer to hand in case it gets chilly (which it often does if you're going up mountains).

Spare pair of gloves for when yours get wet through, or you lose one.

chain lube (or scottoiler)

If you wear glasses take a spare pair (its a legal requirement in some countries)

The rest I guess is obvious maps, (don't rely entirely on a sat nav..they can go wrong, get nicked etc), phrase book, addresses of where you're going.

A sun hat to protect your head when you take your lid off.

Oh and a microfibre cloth and visor cleaner, you CANNOT believe how many bugs live on the continent! And another one for wiping down a wet seat before you start you days riding.

Have fun!!

#18 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:28 pm

I'm just planning ahead here, what would you take as a tool kit / spares kit for touring?
Either in the UK or Europe?
Also what do you carry with you for bike security (for camp sites and suchlike)?
I'm trying to get some lists together

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#19 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:52 pm

You have to carry spare bulbs by law in France - so take some of them.
Viz vest (for breakdowns) is law pretty much everywhere now.
Zip ties & gaffer tape are very useful
Basic first aid kit
Spare Key & documents - second cash/credit card
Puncture outfit/pressure guage/mini pump (those CO2 cartridges aren't brilliant - you need about 4 to inflate a tyre)
I always hide a couple of 20 euro notes in a freezer bag in the toolkit for emergencies
Enhanced toolkit
I have one of those 'joypump' things as well for siphoning petrol out of other tanks if you run out
LED Torch

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#20 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:00 pm

QUOTE(sidestand @ Sun 8th Mar 2009, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You have to carry spare bulbs by law in France - so take some of them.
Viz vest (for breakdowns) is law pretty much everywhere now.
Zip ties & gaffer tape are very useful
Basic first aid kit
Spare Key & documents - second cash/credit card
Puncture outfit/pressure guage/mini pump (those CO2 cartridges aren't brilliant - you need about 4 to inflate a tyre)
I always hide a couple of 20 euro notes in a freezer bag in the toolkit for emergencies
Enhanced toolkit
I have one of those 'joypump' things as well for siphoning petrol out of other tanks if you run out
LED Torch

How well do those mini pumps work off the bike battery?
Sorry to be a total thicky but what about tools, spark plugs etc. etc.
joypump for petrol siphoning rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif that wasn't the end of the sentence I was expecting.

Edited by TDMick, 08 March 2009 - 09:00 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users