21 replies to this topic

#1 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:08 am

I'm thinking of investing in one of them there back thingumys for fluid, does the panel have any suggestions for the best one to buy and naturally the very cheapest place to buy from.

Taken a trawl through Fleabay and found a couple of new 1.5/2.0 Ltr ones around £15/20, anything to make sure I avoid/have?

Thanks all good.gif

EDIT: Just found this bargain on Amazon for £7.99 inc. delivery - Gelert 1.5Ltr

2 weeks to go
2 weeks to go
2 weeks to go
2 weeks to go................... yahoo.gif

Edited by poldark, 19 June 2009 - 09:22 am.

'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,101 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:27 am

Some dont loike rucksacks but I have a lille one with a drinking compartment with flap for the tube to come through. Gives enough room for 1.5ltrs of drink and room to carry a refill should you be somewhere remote.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:30 am

In my limited experience the type or closure on the mouth part is the important bit.

The Gelert you showed from Amazon has a normal-ish tap that closes properly and works well, if proving a little tricky to work one-handed.

There are other similarly priced designs that use some magic push down and twist action for the entire valve assembly. The one of these I've had leaks when shut and doesn't stay shut long, resulting in drinky-splashes all down your front.

Also, it the bite valves are often supplies 'sealed' and you have to work the rubber a few times for the split to actually open up. Once that's happened you soon become adept at biting it in a certain way to fully open the hole up for suckee-suckee.

Edited by andyj, 19 June 2009 - 10:33 am.

Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,274 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:33 am

Hmmm, half tempted by one of them too.

New front tyre going on the bike on Monday. Might visit Smiths for a map or two as well

2 weeks today I'll be sitting in a cafe waiting for Chris L to turn up clapping.gif

Edited by ChrisG, 19 June 2009 - 12:06 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:42 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 19th Jun 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, half tempted by one of them too.

Well I've just ordered one, got a result as I'd forgotten I had £3 credit for return postage on something I sent back, what was even better is they'd managed to credit me twice so with £6 credit the Gelert cost £2 (inc P&P) - can't complain. laugh.gif

I'll post what it's like when it turns up, but I'm not likely to be the best judge as I've nowt to compare it with.

Must say that for £8 (if you pick blue) it does seems worth the risk, I just hope it fits on OK around my mesh jacket and back protector.
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:00 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Fri 19th Jun 2009, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mesh jacket

That's reminded me of the other thing to do, need to extend the crotch strap on my summer jacket. If I sit up straight it's rather painfull blink.gif

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:47 pm

I find Gelert stuff to be bloomin great in general. Got quite a few of their bits, including a £23 tent that has lasted a good few RTT's and torrential rain without any probs. Hopefully yer camel will be the same.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:51 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Fri 19th Jun 2009, 02:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find Gelert stuff to be bloomin great in general. Got quite a few of their bits, including a £23 tent that has lasted a good few RTT's and torrential rain without any probs. Hopefully yer camel will be the same.

I hope so too, but as it's ended up costing just £2 I can't complain. drinks.gif

#9 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 19 June 2009 - 08:36 pm

QUOTE(ChrisG @ Fri 19th Jun 2009, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's reminded me of the other thing to do, need to extend the crotch strap on my summer jacket. If I sit up straight it's rather painfull blink.gif

Have you developed an unexpected swelling?

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#10 Guest_Dannyboy_*

Guest_Dannyboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:22 pm

I'm a bugger for not taking on enough fluids when on the bike but last year on the Germany G2G I used the Camel back. Found it very useful and easy to fill and clean. Trouble is I dont have a flip front helmet so had to take quick drinks at lights or on short stops.

#11 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:13 pm

QUOTE(Dannyboy @ Sat 20th Jun 2009, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a bugger for not taking on enough fluids when on the bike but last year on the Germany G2G I used the Camel back. Found it very useful and easy to fill and clean. Trouble is I dont have a flip front helmet so had to take quick drinks at lights or on short stops.

Me neither, but I'm hoping to take my motocross helmet to wear on hot days "out and about", which I think should work OK with the Camelbak, and wear my fullface for the trip down there. Sorta depends on the packing, but I plan to have the spare helmet on top of the dry bag on the pillion behind me.

#12 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 20 June 2009 - 09:43 pm

Think regular coffee and cake stops. You won't need a camelbak but a portable potty might be a good idea!

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#13 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:28 pm

QUOTE(TeDeum @ Sat 20th Jun 2009, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Think regular coffee and cake stops. You won't need a camelbak but a portable potty might be a good idea!

Suspect I'll be "over-equipped" and end up not using half of what I take (that's assuming it all fits on the bike), but it's been great fun finding all the stuff and I've not spent out too much.

Optimate cigar adaptor lead (Ally Pally show ) £8
Phone charger (EBay) £1.65
Rechargeable Batt cigar adaptor charger (7dayshop) £3.69
Wind-up usb charger (Maplin) £5.99 (may leave behind)
Head torch (Lidl) £2.99
New helmet - long overdue (Infinity) £40 (bargain)
New bike sunglasses (Bikesafe show) £15
lightweight leather gloves with kevlar lining (EBay) £12.99
Gelert camelbak (Amazon) £7.95 (but £2 after credit mistake)
Dry bag (Aldi) £5.99
Stop'N'Go puncture repair kit (M&P) £4.99 (if it arrives next week as promised)
Crampbuster (M&P) £5
Compass (Asda) £3
Osram Nightbreakers (EBay) £13.95
Tutoro oiler £14.99
Sheepskin (Ikea) £20 (although we already had this sitting about unused)

Actually it does rather add up when you list it all out - ooops. mellow.gif

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:47 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Sat 20th Jun 2009, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wind-up usb charger (Maplin) £5.99 (may leave behind)

I bought the shoitest ever wind up charger off ebay. But today got a UVEE solar charger its bloomin magic. Can charge direct by solar (4-8 hours for full charge) or can store charge in internal battery for evenin chargin. Charges phones, shat navs, MP3's, ipods, digi cams, PDA, PSP etc and comes with a grt bag of adapters + mains and car charger.

#15 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:49 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 20th Jun 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I bought the shoitest ever wind up charger off ebay. But today got a UVEE solar charger its bloomin magic. Can charge direct by solar (4-8 hours for full charge) or can store charge in internal battery for evenin chargin. Charges phones, shat navs, MP3's, ipods, digi cams, PDA, PSP etc and comes with a grt bag of adapters + mains and car charger.

Had a Maplin sale email with some reduced solar chargers, but wondered about durability and also these were mainly for car batteries so didn't have all the adaptors.

Where and how much was yours? (not that I need any more stuff)

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,101 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:10 am

T'was ebay £8.75 + £3.40 postage.

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:44 am

Solar chargers make sense if you're cycling, but on a motorbike it make more sense to me to charge stuff from the bike. If I do a trip much longer than a week though I'll need to get myself a 12v charger for the camera battery.

#18 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:27 pm

Just ordered mine with a £5 e-voucher I had so £2.99 Inc Free P&P:clapping:

Can't get any better than that can you yeahyeahyeah.gif

Cheers Poldark I owe you some cake good.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#19 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:26 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Thu 25th Jun 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just ordered mine with a £5 e-voucher I had so £2.99 Inc Free P&P:clapping:

Can't get any better than that can you yeahyeahyeah.gif

Cheers Poldark I owe you some cake good.gif

Keep an eye on the expected delivery date, assuming you ordered the (cheaper) blue one I had an email a couple of days ago saying it was delayed and would arrive between 1/7 & 5/7.

So I emailed and complained that they were listed as "in stock" when I'd ordered and suggested they send the black one at no extra cost, which they've agreed to do and I should receive tomorrow (fingers crossed).

So you may wish to do likewise, I'm quite happy (assuming it arrives) as I prefer the black one.

Good luck.

#20 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 11:44 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Thu 25th Jun 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Keep an eye on the expected delivery date, assuming you ordered the (cheaper) blue one I had an email a couple of days ago saying it was delayed and would arrive between 1/7 & 5/7.

So I emailed and complained that they were listed as "in stock" when I'd ordered and suggested they send the black one at no extra cost, which they've agreed to do and I should receive tomorrow (fingers crossed).

So you may wish to do likewise, I'm quite happy (assuming it arrives) as I prefer the black one.

Good luck.

Oh thanks just checked the e-mail and it says the 2-6th of July so I got it on the free 3-7 day delivery!!

So will have to wait and see.

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users