Photo
- - - - -

Why Are Computers So Fffffffff...aaaaargh !

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:37 pm

What a pearl harbour !  My old pc and printer setup is prolly only used twice a year, once for designing the calendar and once for printing my tax return.  This year I knew my printer wouldn't work as last year it only printed in pink, all the inkjets blocked up through lack of use.   Sooooo, clever me was one step ahead this year and I bought a brand spanking new mono laser printer.  Ordered yesterday and arrived this morning. Woohoo ! :)

Disconnected the old printer then fired up the old pc, deleted all the Epson proggys then rebooted.  Took ages to boot up and then kept locking up for 30 seconds then working for a minute and repeat.  Great ! Not.  Spent a good couple of hours trying to sort the pc out but it refused to play ball, didn't even try installing the new printer. Gave up after a good kick didn't sort it.

No problem, I'll just install it on my lappy.  Yeah right. Printer fired up and ready, lappy turned on and ready I put the driver CD in and started installing the drivers.  FAIL !  Hmmmm, wonder what caused that ? 3 hrs later after multiple installs and deletes I realised I didn't have the print spool working.  Couldn't find the printer spool on Windows 7 despite using a google method of Windows + R then type blablablaaa.  It's in Administrator, services.  Can't find Administrator section !  Eventually found it hidden away, clicked on printer spool function and suddenly remembered I'd disabled it many years ago. :lol:  Clicked to auto and then easily installed my printer drivers.  Printed off my annual 4 pages in about 10 seconds.  Quick eh.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:31 pm

I see they are no longer sending paper copies... I am assuming that means they are no longer interested in charging me tax!!

As for paatootas...... they make things more efficient.......how many years of accounts could you have calculated, written on a paper copy and sent in the time you have spent battling with that shart????
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:50 pm

I dare you to try that. :lol:

Yeah, pc's are much more efficient, BUT, they trick you into thinking you'll only be spending 10 mins on a job when it actually takes 5 hours and ALWAYS when you least expect it.

Lappy's on it's last legs too, so I'll book a day off work to get a new one set up when I buy one.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:07 pm

I reclaimed washing uniform expenses...phoned and asked for form...they said you need to go online and print a form off because we are going paper free...you can't fill the form online...so they mean that they don't care about the actual printing of paper just that they don't want the expense.

I told them that I didn't have a printer, so they suggested asking a friend to print...what you mean rather than the people who have the form already....lolzioooo. in the end I wrote it all down me'sen and sent it in and they eventually accepted it....that will be how my tax return is done...they can either have it or not...choice is entirely theirs. :0)

I detest laptops more than PC....these fingers are too sausage for all that.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:37 pm

April is deffo the worst month of the year eh.  Doing my returns isn't actually that time consuming, providing I keep on top of the paperwork during the year, getting my head round to actually doing it takes a lot longer.

I use a wireless mouse, can't be doing with the pad thingy.  Still on Windows 7 though and my next wan might well have Windows 10.  Not sure how user friendly that'll be.  Not sure but I think it's possible to get Windows 10 to operate/look like older Windows.  Here's hoping.  My lappy battery won't hold a charge so always plugged in to mains, screen won't close as the hinge is broken, screen taped up on one edge and 2 keys have lost their covers. :lol:

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:40 pm

What's windows 7....still on xp ear. :0)

All mod cons ehh SR.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 06:51 pm

:lol: 

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:04 pm

Good luck with Win 10, updates are no longer optional and it does in the middle of stuff locking you out. I went Linux Mint in the end, for what I do it just works.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:10 pm

Noooooooo ! We're doomed I tell eee. 

#10 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:48 pm

Here ya gan ladz 

Just tryin ta help :P

http://www.cs4fn.org/

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#11 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:23 pm

I ran Windows 7 on my laptop. I was never ever going to risk converting to Windows 10. I had a job to do later and I made some notes. I put the notes on its keyboard. When I returned to do the job my laptop said: "Welcome to Windows 10". What??? Never found out how that happened. I never regretted the change though.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:07 pm

Here ya gan ladz 

Just tryin ta help :P

http://www.cs4fn.org/

Added to my favs errrr I mean favourites. :good:

NOT. lol

#13 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 09:35 pm

:lol:

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#14 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:17 am

Windows 10 seems to be ok now, the pro version is better for not updating at the wrong times and you can install without Microsoft account, from win 7 or 8 you can still install win for free with same key.
Say no to everything during intall for less snooping.
First thing I install after win 10 is classic shell to get a proper start menu back.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:36 am

Classic shell sounds good. :good:

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:28 pm

Puts back the proper menu like XP had. Still use XP on my lappy to talk to engines in cars. It does proper serial ports not the emulation lash up.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:52 pm

I've got 5 laptops in the family and only one came with windows 10 installed, the rest were win 7 or 8. I

Windows 10 now gives you the option of setting the update time which can be manually over ridden.

I tried Linux (mint) on one laptop but went back to Windows 10. I think more a case of sticking with what I know. 

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:29 pm

Can I have some advice, ? I'm using Win 7 and need to upgrade (apparently my data will be stolen imminently, but they've said that for months) ....do I need to do the full backup, is all current data lost ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 05:57 pm

No good asking me Chris, I'm just the site technical admin. :lol:

I'm guessing all yer data will be fine, it should advise you what to do during the upgrade process, but, you might find some proggies won't work if they're not legit.  By legit I mean they don't have the authenticity certificate.  Someone else with more knowledge might chip in on this..

#20 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:33 pm

I've done an upgrade to win 10 a couple of times and everything was left in the same place and all progs worked fine, I'd back up any docs just in case though.

If you don't have the product key it's best to upgrade first which will give you a digital licence for win 10 automatically taken from your previous OS then do a fresh install to get everything nice and clean, worth investing in an SSD and doing the fresh install to that as it will speed up your machine no end and you can still run from the old one if you run into trouble.

The free upgrade officially ended ages ago but still works fine, download the win 10 iso from microsoft and use their tool to create a bootable usb stick.

If you use firefox for internet and thunderbird for email they are easy to copy your profile folders over and everything is as it was, even stored passwords.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users