#41 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 April 2019 - 03:12 pm

Cheers Studs, will have a play about, currently rained off, will see if i can get this bolt tensioned up again and give it a tap or heat before i order summit else, it was quite tight so might get lucky, failing that i may have to try a 3 legged puller cos trying to remove the snapped stud will be a pig of a job.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#42 Phracker

Phracker

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:55 am

Sorry to hear about the snapped bolt, I just finished removing it myself. It took heat, soft hammer and $#%@ ton of tension loaded on the puller. Really made me feel nervous loading it up so much before it popped off.

#43 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 07:33 am

Cheers Phracker, i think the puller was'nt really up to the job in the 1st place maybe, or it's the monkey weilding the wrench, either way rained off just now so will have to see what's to be done.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#44 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 April 2019 - 09:28 am

Cheers Phracker, i think the puller was'nt really up to the job in the 1st place maybe, or it's the monkey weilding the wrench, either way rained off just now so will have to see what's to be done.

Cliff, ya doin it all outdoors?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#45 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 10:17 am

Cliff, ya doin it all outdoors?

Pretty much wicki, no shed or garage so having to make do.

#46 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:54 pm

Dey're dead 'ard in de 'pool wicky!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#47 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:01 pm

Deyrdoaintde.

#48 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:47 am

It's not neccesarily jammed! if whatv broke the bolt was the stretch, not thread friction, bolt will come out like a dream with a simple extractor.....

Bjørge

#49 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 01:46 pm

It's not neccesarily jammed! if whatv broke the bolt was the stretch, not thread friction, bolt will come out like a dream with a simple extractor.....

It's well stuck Bjorge, other plans afoot.

#50 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:37 pm

Still waiting on pullers which i ordered last Sunday night :rant:so that's temporarly put the kabosh on getting the flywheel off till next week, so took the engwin out now.

Attached File  20190504_113102.jpg   132.51KB   0 downloads

I noticed i had'nt removed the water pump when i pulled the oil pumps so set to it, wot a booger, Haynes mentions it could well be vacoomed in on the 2 impeller seals but blimey, dont see how i could pull the shaft out without damaging it ! Or is the back part of the pump housing meant to be prised away from the crankcase !! Haynes mention's prying but it's a little confuzziling, anyone.

Attached File  20190504_132817.jpg   92.75KB   0 downloads

So a bit stumped with the water pump went on to removing me 2 stuck shim buckets, so Proxxon in hand with a grinding stone (Pink stone borrowed from a 9r chap) started a grinding with success (good man Studs) but still needed pulling with some molies, was a bit afraid off grinding to much and buckets is cheaper than cylinder head. Looks like the aluminium has been peened over in parts !! In fact it's right where the oil hole is peened over either side.

Attached File  20190504_151524.jpg   93.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190504_151723.jpg   71.75KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190504_151535.jpg   91.33KB   0 downloads

Here's the worse bucket, if'n you can see it

Attached File  20190504_151713.jpg   64.9KB   0 downloads

One of those valves was a bit stuck and you can see some pitting on the top of the stem, may have to replace that one

Attached File  20190504_153318.jpg   120.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190504_153312.jpg   142.19KB   0 downloads

So wot to do about the cam bearing now where i have had to grind, one bucket is still a bit tight and cant pull out with a magnet,only molies, some wet/dry maybe and smooth it off perhaps.

Also had a quick gander at the frame around the inside of the swing arm bolt and a cursory glance is not highlighting any cracks, need to wash all the crud off and may shift some paint for a better look but here's hoping i'm all good.

Attached File  20190504_154000.jpg   150.47KB   0 downloads

Now those last 2 shims are out i have all the measurements for me valve's, all bar 1 in spec but a good few are somewhat tight,   clearances then shim size in red in case it's not obvious to somebody.

Attached File  20190504_164646.jpg   62.69KB   0 downloads

That's all for now folk's.

Edited by dablik, 04 May 2019 - 04:48 pm.

#51 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:45 pm

Further to the water pump question, Haynes shows in section 3.8 and photo number 8.12a what looks to be the lump pulled off the crankcase, or am i imagining it :huh:

Edited by dablik, 05 May 2019 - 07:17 am.

#52 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:04 pm

Think i've answered my own question re the water pump looks like the whole lump needs pulling out.

Attached File  Water pump.jpg   121.44KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Crankcase 2.jpg   108.88KB   0 downloads

#53 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:52 pm

keep up the good work Cliff  :good:

#54 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:25 pm

Cheers Steve, gonna be a bassad of a job but so far enjoying the destructing/destroying :D

#55 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 May 2019 - 11:56 am

Good job. :good:  That cam bearing looks mighty narrow in the photo, is it much narrower than the udders ?  Lots to clean eh ! :lol:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#56 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:05 pm

Good job. :good:  That cam bearing looks mighty narrow in the photo, is it much narrower than the udders ?  Lots to clean eh ! :lol:

Hm will have a measure now you mention it, dont know if it's photo angle, it's got squished bits in a few places.

Cleaning, yea an awful lot, think i know a man ;)

All measure slightly different in fractions of a mm, what i did notice better was this below, looks a bit like maybe the bottom of the buckets dug in

Attached File  20190505_171523.jpg   119.03KB   0 downloads

Edited by dablik, 05 May 2019 - 04:42 pm.

#57 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 05 May 2019 - 04:50 pm

Only got tellingbone but that don't look right even on small pic!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#58 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:29 pm

Yea it's a right dog's dinner, they look fresh an all, prolly ham fisted getting the shims out as they were stuck so tight,prolly throw it in the skip :)  is quite of lot of peening in places.

Look on the bright side, i'll end up with a NN engwin :D

#59 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:14 pm

Them buckets are a really snug fit, they're also super sharp on the edge.  Even when they go in normally you have to get them angled perfect or the sharp edge will just dig in.  I soon learned that and now I twist/spin them when putting them in just to be sure they move freely and don't snag.

You gonna replace the head matey ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#60 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:44 pm

Them buckets are a really snug fit, they're also super sharp on the edge.  Even when they go in normally you have to get them angled perfect or the sharp edge will just dig in.  I soon learned that and now I twist/spin them when putting them in just to be sure they move freely and don't snag.

You gonna replace the head matey ?

Yea i think so, heads a bit fooked, quite sure it's been over torqued but that's a guess at best, had no choice but to manhandle those shims as they were'nt budging one bit.

Had a measure up of the camshafts today, not totally ideal using vernier calipers but close enough to get an idea, exhaust seems to be in spec, but the Inlet lobes showing to be under spec by approx .05-.08 not sure it's so critical in a tractor like engwin ? think it will still run. The journals also under spec on the Inlet.

Attached File  20190506_144149.jpg   130.06KB   0 downloads

Some groovey stuff going on which corrosponds with the stuck buckets :huh:

Attached File  20190506_145421.jpg   101.27KB   0 downloads

Attached File  20190506_145353.jpg   84.78KB   0 downloads

General condition of the cams

Attached File  20190506_144222.jpg   94.78KB   0 downloads

Frame and swinger ready for PC but going to ring around 1st for a few prices and maybe if i can get the steering stem pulled from the bottom yoke have them both done as well ! will see or may paint those myself.

Need a new chain guide as mines good and worn and the been rubbing on the swingarm, worst case if i have to re use will be to tape it on the swinger.

Attached File  20190506_163912.jpg   114.38KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users