dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:04 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Sun 27th Apr 2008, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So is the canchain thingy what I noticed on bike yesterday? On the overrun (closing the throttle) there's quite horrible screamy sound coming from the enjin(ish) area is that Cam Chain thingy....clutch plates?

2003 TDM900 BTW

Yep - sounds like it................

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#42 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:35 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Wed 30th Apr 2008, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep - sounds like it................

well heres the thing see. I've just changed the tensioner, I rotated stuff but TBH I couldn't seem to find max compression when the timing mark meets "T", I rotated the enjin a few more times to get a feel for it, and wher it felt stiffist near the T, I then changed the tensioner.

as I removed the od tensioner there was a couple (two) ting ting. Was that the chain do a little dance and jumping ohmy.gif . shit shit shit. excl.gif So I've stuck the new one in then rotated the enjin by hand - nothing feels particularly strange. So I fired it her up. Sounds sweet (and actually quieter too).

SO have I screwed up? ohmy.gif And how can I tell?

#43 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:38 pm

Lettuce spray the ting ting werent yer cams finding a more comfortable position! Have yer test ridden it yet?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#44 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:40 pm

QUOTE(dapleb @ Sat 3rd May 2008, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lettuce spray the ting ting werent yer cams finding a more comfortable position! Have yer test ridden it yet?

nah I'm sitting here waiting for answers and munching sarnies

#45 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:16 pm

Yeah. The cam chain has jumped. flat as a pancake. So now whadda I do unsure.gif

#46 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2008 - 02:50 pm

Well its at Colchester Motorcycles...£160 + VAT, they can't book it in for three weeks, but said they would try to fit it in between jobs or one evening, so hopefully I won't have to wait for three weeks to have my baby back...

...how feckin embarrassing!!!!

#47 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:50 pm

If it's anything like the Mk1 it's not actually a particularly difficult job, but you need to strip off quite a bit (faring, tank, thermostat, radiator) to get at the rocker cover. The rocker cover seal should be reusable and once you get the cover off setting up the timing is a very quick job.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#48 Guest_Johnno_*

Guest_Johnno_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:23 am

Got my new tensoner today in the mail all the way from the mother country and it only took me 5mins to fit and sounds heaps quieter. It now doesnt sound like a rattlely old motor any more.

I would recommend this to anyone with a 900 that didnt come with the new style tensioner

Edited by Johnno, 12 May 2008 - 06:24 am.

#49 themusicbox

themusicbox

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:15 pm

I had to take the head off my mk1 850 which meant taking off the chain and sprockets. BEWARE, I found it's a real fiddly pain to get the chain and sprockets back on and involves lots of checking and re checking! The chain seems to have a habit of jumping a sprocket tooth when you take out the tensioner. I just spent a few hours getting it back on with my girlfriends help (she held the camshafts in position while I put the chain and sprockets on) the camshafts don't stay in place until the tensioner is in.

excl.gif Leave yourself loads of time if you need to remove the chain and want to get it back on the same day...!

#50 big dave

big dave

has been here 4ever

• 1,462 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:43 am

QUOTE(themusicbox @ Wed 20th Aug 2008, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had to take the head off my mk1 850 which meant taking off the chain and sprockets. BEWARE, I found it's a real fiddly pain to get the chain and sprockets back on and involves lots of checking and re checking! The chain seems to have a habit of jumping a sprocket tooth when you take out the tensioner. I just spent a few hours getting it back on with my girlfriends help (she held the camshafts in position while I put the chain and sprockets on) the camshafts don't stay in place until the tensioner is in.

excl.gif Leave yourself loads of time if you need to remove the chain and want to get it back on the same day...!

I seem to remember somebody using zip ties to hold the chain in place on the sprockets until everything was nipped up , and then cutting off the ties at the last minute.

I could be wrong, I've slept since.

Sounds like a plan though, for next time !!

MOTO GUZZI T3 with Le Mans engine, frisky for an old girl
YAMAHA Tracer 700 

RE Himalayan
Down to 3 toys at the moment, need to go shopping I think

I DON'T DO EXERCISE - if God had wanted me to bend over, he would have put cake on the floor

#51 themusicbox

themusicbox

• 63 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:13 am

That's a good idea - wish I'd thought of that!!

#52 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:37 pm

It looks like it's my turn to tackle this little job and I do hope it goes better than the brake bleeding fiasco. BTW where can I order a cam chain tensioner from. I'm in London, sarf of the river.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#53 themusicbox

themusicbox

• 63 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 12:48 pm

QUOTE(muddy @ Sat 20th Sep 2008, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It looks like it's my turn to tackle this little job and I do hope it goes better than the brake bleeding fiasco. BTW where can I order a cam chain tensioner from. I'm in London, sarf of the river.

Try bitzforbikes.co.uk or shop.wemoto.com

Wemoto is down the road from me and they're great. Bitzforbikes always send stuff straight away and I normally get it the next morning... excellent!

#54 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:07 pm

I phoned Fowlers this morning. The parts were in stock and should be with me tomorrow or the next day. Never used them before, so lets see doubtfull.gif

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#55 chuckie

chuckie

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:12 pm

so is this a regular thing to be replaced in a mk2 aswell? if so has the older style been superceeded with this new part or will i have to use the older style?

cheers

chris

#56 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:44 pm

QUOTE(chuckie @ Tue 23rd Sep 2008, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so is this a regular thing to be replaced in a mk2 aswell? if so has the older style been superceeded with this new part or will i have to use the older style?

cheers

chris

As with most modern stuff....they tried to be clever and failed. mkI/mkII don't have the same prob because they use a ratshit mechanism. They tried to make the 900 able to adjust much more finely by using a screw/spring system that obviously don't work so well.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#57 TDM_Ben

TDM_Ben

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 October 2008 - 12:26 pm

Hmmm, I think I may have to do this soon. I have had a noise that comes on as the bike starts to warm up and sometimes goes away sometimes stays for the duration of the ride..
The thing that gets me though is that when i took it in for a service earlier in the year I asked them to check it, they said they had adjusted everything and it should be fine! However its still there and there was no mention of a superceeded tensioner.

Does anyone know at what chassis number etc they were replaced for the new design? Mines a 2004 900.

Ben

#58 allan

allan

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:36 pm

I have taken a picture of my new cct on my 02 900 , noticed an arrow on the casting lines up with tab on gasket is this correct as some pictures on the site are different showing the tab facing downwards I am now confused..if I have done this correctly there is a link below.
http://i554.photobuc...99/CIMG2941.jpg

#59 vicens66

vicens66

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:30 am

ohmy.gif Done the cam chain swap tonight and i had problem to find tdc,look like I find tdc before reaching the T mark. Done any way ,when i remove the old I hear a noise(probably the chain jumping).
Put the new one and if I could see the T mark on the other side unsure.gif gone it was i fuckup.
Turn the engine by hand; no noise no resistance .Fire the motor sound sweet no more horrible noise.
when for a ride and realise got a loss of power between 4000/5500 rpm.
Got 2 questions lads.

1: Did the cam chain jump?

2: When you take the generator cover off ,i find oil behind it(19 mm bolt was cover in oil) ?

Any response .thanks
excl.gif excl.gif

Edited by vicens66, 28 October 2009 - 10:45 am.

#60 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:18 pm

Sounds like you might be slightly out with the timing. I think you will need to remove the camshaft/rocker cover to see if the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets line up.

The oil you found is meant to be there, I think.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users