135 replies to this topic

#1 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:50 pm

When I purchased the Bird in March I made a promise to myself. Do some advanced training.  

Something I had contemplated several times over the years.

So I did a bit of digging. Bikesafe, IAM, ROSPA e.t.c.

I opted for ROSPA as I thought about doing voluntary work on the blood bikes (weekend working twice a month has probably put the brakes on that).

When the day came for my initial observed ride I was rather anxious. Well, nobody wants to be told they are an absolute dick & shouldn't be on the road right?

Well, let me tell you. It's not like that at all. My instructor (who we'll call Geoff, for that is his name) followed me for some 20 miles, then over coffee suggests where he sees I could do things a bit different, & to follow him for a few miles whilst putting into practice what he has suggested.

Arrangements are made for the next session, where upon Geoff once again passes his wisdom to me as we continue the learning curve.

I can honestly say I really looked forward to my sessions. Geoff took me on some cracking local roads that I didn't know existed.

After 4 sessions we have quite a hefty lay off of 8 weeks. Due to my France trip, then working, his blood bike weekend, e.t..c.

I was rather expecting him to rip me up for ass paper on our next session, fearing some of the bad habits had reared their ugly head.

I was rather surprised when he said he thought I was ready for the mock test.

One more session & he said he was going to inform the club sec that I was ready for my test.

2 weeks later I had my mock test with a different instructor. I had a really good ride until the last 250 metres where upon I failed. I didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign. I honestly thought I had, but his head cam showed that whilst putting my foot down & slowing right down I did not come to a complete stop for a few seconds. I also cut the mini roundabout 100 meters from the finish (remember Geoff telling me a story about when he was doing his diploma & mini roundabouts, so naturally that popped into my head as I approached it. I realised as soon as I cut it I had dropped a bollock. Oh well!)

Bollocks. Disheartened, a little. But I could blame no one but myself.

Surprisingly, he recommended me as ready for my exam.

So, fast forward to last Saturday & I met with my examiner in the pre arranged place & time.

The test took about an hour of riding Motorway, town & country. Followed by Q & A session on the highway code & motorcycle roadcraft.

I gained a Silver pass, was obviously hoping for a Gold. Apparently it was a near run thing, but a few inconsistencies knocked me back just that little bit. 

Disappointed, yes. But I am thinking of re-sitting my test in the spring.

If I'm honest I didn't put enough time in on my own. It's hard working 10 hours a day driving maybe a couple of hundred miles, & having a 12 day stint. Didn't have to work weekends when I first signed up for it. But, I guess I should still have made more effort to get out on my own.

This at the age of 54 and not having done any training since passing my test in '81.

So, my message is if you've wanted to do it but are put off by having someone ripping your riding to pieces. It ain't like that.

I now have a friend whom I can call upon to take me for a spin & keep me in check, heck he even invited me to go with him to europe sometime.

So what's the cost. 

To become an associate member I believe is £25 (went up since I joined). Each session with your tutor costs £10 for their fuel & a coffee or tea.

The test fee is £61 this includes full membership to ROSPA ROADAR. Also your examiners fees.

Best money I have spent in years. I am now a safer more competent rider, hopefully the wife will accompany me more on the bike.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#2 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 October 2015 - 10:52 pm

You've made me very interested in getting some advanced training Rolfie. Not had any training since passing my test either, 98. Also a bit intrigued about this voluntary blood bike thing!

#3 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:51 am

does passing the test get you cheaper insurance!, and well done on the silver

#4 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 12:43 pm

I believe it should. I didn't really do it for this reason though. Could just be an added bonus. Insurance isn't due till March so I'll find out then.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#5 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 18 October 2015 - 01:52 pm

I am a member of IAM and tell my insurance company. I have been told that most companies maybe not all give about 10% discount.

#6 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 October 2015 - 08:29 pm

I did the IAM a couple of years ago, and sadly MCE (through the meerkat chappies) didn't give a reduction, but from how I benefitted I really think they should.

I opted for the IAM over Rospa largely because I didn't want to redo the test every 3 years. (It is 3 isn't it? I forget now.)

IAM has a FIRST rather than gold level, and I didn't get it, but not worried. I don't like tests so once was enough for me. But I'm very pleased I did it - I'd only been riding 18 months or so before starting, and had already written off my little 250 cruiser, so was very much a novice.

Wonderful course and experience.

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 October 2015 - 09:18 pm

Ramo aint you gettin on one of these courses  :P

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:26 am

tooo right, could do with going on one,

I know I ride like a cooont  :rotflmmfao:

Edited by ramo, 19 October 2015 - 05:28 am.

#9 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:52 pm

tooo right, could do with going on one,

I know I ride like a cooont  :rotflmmfao:

Thought that was me  :lol:

Sorry Rolfie for the hijack thread, shall go away now, could'nt resist a poke at Ramo  :)

Congratulations on the pass though, i'm sure you feel very proud, well done  :good:  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:03 pm

Well done OP. I've done a fair bit of training in the last 3 years and it has transformed my riding. We are of similar age and I admit to worrying about being at the dork end of the riding scale, too. When it came to doing U turns, I was...

Any hoo. The rewards, for me, have been huge and I thoroughly enjoyed all my courses with some great and very knowledgeable instructors. Highly recommended IMHO.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#11 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 09:53 pm

I'm definitely going on one, my braking is by far my worse aspect! I'm braking far too early and way to gently...may be something to do with locking up the rear and feeling it come round on my old 850 years ago! :o

#12 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:44 am

I'm definitely going on one, my braking is by far my worse aspect! I'm braking far too early and way to gently...may be something to do with locking up the rear and feeling it come round on my old 850 years ago! :o

Ah yes, brakes; I remember them. I took mine off after my IAM test...

At least, that's what my mate might say.

The engine braking on the 9er is so good that dumping the throttle can be like braking. (That is, if one is in the 'right' gear; which is a major aspect of the training.)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#13 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:07 pm

Great write up and we'll done! BSM and I are hoping to do the ROSPA training next year.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#14 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:05 pm

Ah yes, brakes; I remember them. I took mine off after my IAM test...

At least, that's what my mate might say.

The engine braking on the 9er is so good that dumping the throttle can be like braking. (That is, if one is in the 'right' gear; which is a major aspect of the training.)

Know what you mean there. Mine are seldomly used now.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

#15 Bathy

Bathy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 06:40 pm

I did the IAM course a few years ago and took a lot from it.  Found it a really positive experience and changed my riding style completely.  I had a 25 year break away from bikes and when I did my test there was no training required.  It was after my son had done his CBT and was telling me about the things he had done that I thought about doing some training.  One of the best things I have done, my confidence on the bike improved significantly over the course and I still drop in on local training sessions just to keep the skill level topped up.  My local club WYAMS is also very active and organise club runs on a regular basis so you get to ride out with a bunch of like minded folk on some really interesting roads.

I use the IAM broker for my insurance which seems reasonable, they claim they will beat any quote you have.

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:22 pm

LOL. Braking practice had me all puckered up, too. Again, the training helped immensely, learning to brake with the correct technique. First time I've left rubber off the front tire. I practice almost every ride now.

I barely use the brakes the way I ride but you never know when the anchor will need chucked out.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#17 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:10 pm

LOL. Braking practice had me all puckered up, too. Again, the training helped immensely, learning to brake with the correct technique. First time I've left rubber off the front tire. I practice almost every ride now.

I barely use the brakes the way I ride but you never know when the anchor will need chucked out.

THE anchor!!! Stopping me quickly would take multiple anchors flying out in all directions!! :cake eating:  :munching_out:  :drinks:

#18 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:42 am

I have attended 2 Skills Days at Thruxton race course arranged by the IAM. Great experience, though we were told to give it more wellie and to start using our brakes!!

#19 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:56 am

I have attended 2 Skills Days at Thruxton race course arranged by the IAM. Great experience, though we were told to give it more wellie and to start using our brakes!!

I've noticed that our training has been taken at a good pace. Not rash, safety first. Not much illegal, either. Our last instructor is head of the regional popo and head trainer for cars and bikes. He loves a damn good fang, too. The first instructor is the License Tester for the area. He did some training with my G/F and observed her to a full license. No secrets round here..

All of our tuition has been by guys who live bikes and are really good at riding them. And really honest about getting a buzz from having a good thrash now and again. Training days are great..

#20 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:41 pm

Another thing is the group rideouts. I don't mind the 'drop off' system at all (where there is the leader and the 'back door' (last person) to keep everyone together, and the others change order with each junction if people have become separated.) At least there's no chance of anyone getting lost.

But what I do like is that everyone is predictable. We all ride pretty much the same lines, slow at the same places, accelerate at the same places, look for the overtakes and do them in the same way (pretty much). Makes it all pretty smooth and easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users