Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,396 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 18 January 2024 - 01:29 pm

FYI

I enquired some years ago on this very forum about Lithium batteries & cold weather, but I didn't get a confirming response..........

So here it is, I hope someone will benefit....

One benefit springs to mind - these batteries are light enough to easily throw at salesmen :punishment:

Bike stood for around 3 weeks in the shed with the correct charger/maintenance gizmo connected to the battery, the right way round too.

I disconnected the charger yesterday, and wheeled the bike outside today cos its nice and sunny and only minus 3 C and I wanted to do some work in the shed.

Stabbed the starter button and the engine barely turned with the voltmeter showing 10.1v. while cranking.

Connected the old skool LA charger & immediatly pressed the starter = away we go. :good:

So there you have it, Lithium Batteries are shite cold - if I  had been away from home the bike would have been a breakdown case (unless there was a convenient hill for a bump start).  For my money, minus 3 C isn't really that cold & certaily not too cold for motorcycle camping. Sooo disappointed in the Shido shite performance.

Back to the dependable, always worked in all termperatures, Yuasa AGM for me. Meanwhile the twice the price Li-ing bstrds will be consigned to shed aux lighting/alarm duties charging via solar panels.

Yes I know how to press buttons as well as shirts :lol: :P

Happy new year.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,447 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 January 2024 - 01:55 pm

That's a bummer. I guess that's why some of the EVs have heaters and cooling on the batteries.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 January 2024 - 03:33 pm

I've never bought into the idea of using Lithium on vehicles that were designed around lead acid.

The charging systems aren't built to balance etc as required by lithium. I'm sure a bit of that is built into the battery, but with the sometimes erratic start/stop way local riding can be that would be impacted.

Just my take, but I've never had a problem with good old lead acid, and a TDM isn't exactly a light weight racer so I've no problem having a few kg extra on the bike.

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 January 2024 - 04:13 pm

I have a passed it's best lead acid in my car, very slow cranking in these temperatures.

But I know from research that cranking the engine for a few seconds causes microheating on the lead plates, So I give it one or two slow cranks, wait 15 seconds, and it cranks much faster after the pause to allow the heating to work on the acid.

Last year it was the same, and with a bit of luck next year will be the same too !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,447 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 January 2024 - 05:24 pm

I have a passed it's best lead acid in my car, very slow cranking in these temperatures.

But I know from research that cranking the engine for a few seconds causes microheating on the lead plates, So I give it one or two slow cranks, wait 15 seconds, and it cranks much faster after the pause to allow the heating to work on the acid.

Last year it was the same, and with a bit of luck next year will be the same too !

:rotflmmfao:  Tight arse.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:12 pm

I have Lithium on two offroaders it will turn over fine during the winter (garaged) I have one I have not used since 2018 when I bought another bike (havent got round to selling it yet) I charge it when I need to start it and it too is ok,and as Fixitsan says they turn over faster when warmed up so the more you try to start the bike tthe more power you get (within reason) unlike a lead batt that just gets slower.So no probs from me exept the price on bigger batts mines only 7ah so not too bad.

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:27 pm

:rotflmmfao:  Tight arse.

You can indeed take the man out of Yorkshire, but....
It's only an issue for about 30 days per year !

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,121 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 January 2024 - 07:07 pm

This is shocking news for a mk1 owner... older things...cost less and more reliable... newer things full of gizmos and break easy!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 09:21 pm

This is shocking news for a mk1 owner... older things...cost less and more reliable... newer things full of gizmos and break easy!

Did you know they're making lithium Ion forklift batteries now ?

Those big heavy lead acid counterweights are 'old fashioned' !

#10 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 January 2024 - 09:43 pm

They were trying to sell Moskvitchs in UK in the seventies on the strength that they were super cheap and "Built to cope with Siberian Winters".  Perhaps they were. But I remember reading through an owners manual, remember them ?, and it advised, if starting in sub-zero temperatures to put the headlamps onto full beam for 20 seconds before engaging the starter.

Mind you if that didn't work there was always a starting handle...Remember THEM ?

#11 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 18 January 2024 - 10:03 pm

They were trying to sell Moskvitchs in UK in the seventies on the strength that they were super cheap and "Built to cope with Siberian Winters".  Perhaps they were. But I remember reading through an owners manual, remember them ?, and it advised, if starting in sub-zero temperatures to put the headlamps onto full beam for 20 seconds before engaging the starter.

Mind you if that didn't work there was always a starting handle...Remember THEM ?

I wish I could, but I'm only nearly 60 !

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 January 2024 - 11:38 pm

(unless there was a convenient hill for a bump start).

Yeah good luck with that! 

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:48 am

Did you know they're making lithium Ion forklift batteries now ?

Those big heavy lead acid counterweights are 'old fashioned' !

I was lucky enough to witness such forklifts with my own eyes..... they also did not have drivers! They charge themselves my scuffing up to contacts on the plant walls...and then scurrying off when charged/next allocated a job.

I also witnessed them chuck shit loads of car parts all over the floor and crash...was hilarious. Ahhhh progress. Think all the initial glitches are ironed out now...bye bye fork lift drivers and 3 man forklift service team.

Incredible to watch though.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,396 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:13 am

To continue..........

Old Skool Dog - New Tricks :drinks:

Today a toasty t-shirt nipple tweaking 1oC and on the shed a heavy frost on top of yesterday's frost .

Charger not reconnected to the 9er yesterday due to me flouncing out of the shed in a fit of pique.

Tried the micro-warm approach (Fixitsan & Mick C :good: ), via 20 seconds of LED brakelight .......and instant brumm brumm WTF?

More cold weather testing to follow using the above method.

I'll be leaving the battery maintenance charger off for a few days, testing starting ability and I'll report back.

Every day is a schoolday init. :)

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,760 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 19 January 2024 - 10:40 am

Antigravity batteries have a restart button for this situation and they recommend to leave the ignition on with headlights i believe for starting, worked fine on mine......but then i removed the battery over winter after a full charge and put it in the house, come April the battery had discharged to below 10v !?! back to Yuasa, luckily mine came with the bike when i bought it but for £160 v £50 Yuasa wins.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:09 am

The trick with lead acid in this weather is to always have it on trickle (if possible).

If left to slightly discharge, the acid concentration drops so you have a higher % of water.  That means the water can end up freezing and causing issues.

#17 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 11:47 am

To continue..........

Old Skool Dog - New Tricks :drinks:

Today a toasty t-shirt nipple tweaking 1oC and on the shed a heavy frost on top of yesterday's frost .

Charger not reconnected to the 9er yesterday due to me flouncing out of the shed in a fit of pique.

Tried the micro-warm approach (Fixitsan & Mick C :good: ), via 20 seconds of LED brakelight .......and instant brumm brumm WTF?

More cold weather testing to follow using the above method.

I'll be leaving the battery maintenance charger off for a few days, testing starting ability and I'll report back.

Every day is a schoolday init. :)

It's the sort of thing which could cause a divorce.

Wife goes out to start the car one cold and frosty morning, but it barely turns over. She tells the husband the car won't start, so he goes out and tries it, and vroom !

"It must be you, you silly...."

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,121 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:38 pm

Not just ewe favs

https://youtu.be/0b-...?feature=shared

#19 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 19 January 2024 - 06:51 pm

Bump starting a 900.................... :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:  :rotflmmfao:

#20 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 January 2024 - 07:19 pm

that's because peeps didn't pre heat the battery before charging, so when they got to the charger nothing was happening as the car needed to preheat the battery before it would charge. This built up a queue and the rest they say is history.

I pre heat the  cabin in mine before I leave, no ice on the car and toasty warm too. 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users