#1 Bobajob

Bobajob

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:01 am

I'm looking for a decent sized shed to keep the bike in and give me enough space to do work on it. Anyone got any experience or recomendations?
1997 TDM850 MKII - Yamaha/Krauser panniers, Nexxus,cut down screen No Screen!, Osram nightbreakers, PR2s, Interphone F4. Missing her already and on the hunt for a newbie!

#2 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:24 am

How much are you looking to spend?

Garden shed, 12' x 8' I paid £800 good for 1 bike plus your tools and a bench

Log Cabin style garage, 6m x 4m, I paid £2200 plus £500 for concrete base, lot of labour erecting this but worth it. I've got 6 bikes and a quad in mine, plus 2 benches, a Nissan 200SX engine plus 2 gearboxes and well... loads of other shite.

HTHs

Maximus

#3 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:22 am

I paid 535 quid (plus a fiver for delivery) for a Keter 11x8 plastic shed from Argos (this was on a deal, so hunt around)

Zero maintainence (no staining or re-felting), quite warm, light (there is a ceiling daylight strip and 2 opening windows), straighforward to put together (2 men, 3 hours with power screwdrivers) and very easy to clean oil spills etc. You can also put it straight down on any level surface (mine is on grass and because of the the plastic floor is actually quite comfy if you're on your knees working on the bike for example).

We've just had some very strong winds hitting us last night and it seems fine. There are steel cross members in the roof for strength.

Its not as secure as a concrete garage, but Id say no more unsecure than a wooden shed. The other down side I'd say is storage (if you want to put up your own that is) although Keter shelving and shelving units are sturdy and easily available.

I put it up about 3 months ago I think - there's a thread on the BB here with some pics.

[edit] here's one of them

http://www.carpe-tdm...&...st&p=167002

Cheers

D

Edited by Snorvey, 15 September 2010 - 11:29 am.

Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#4 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:40 am

I converted my standard garden shed specifically for my TDM

The Shed itself is 8' long - this is only just long enough, and if you intend working on it I would suggest at least 10'.

This is what I did:

# I build a hard standing (patio) area about 18' long. I stood the base of the shed on pressure treated 4" x 4" fence posts, (using them as joists) at 10" centres. This keeps the actual shed itself off the damp ground, and with the shed floor resting on these joists, the thin original floor, with the extra chipboard floor can easily take the weight of the TDM.

Shed.... Now the door on a standard shed isn't big enough to get a bike through, (you can get double doors, of course, but they cost more, and I already had this one)

Soo I made a second door...

I also bought chip board house flooring (T&G) and reinforced the floor, then painted it with grey floor paint. I lined the walls and ceiling with polystyrene insulation (50mm) and covered that with hardboard.

I laid electricity on from the house using armoured cable, and fitted florescent lights, and electric panel heater ( and thermostat) and power sockets. Also an outdoor flood light.

You will also need a ramp. I made this from plywood and used wire mesh as a nice grippy surface. Added a carry handle for convenience

The shed was a £180 special deal crap one, don't know what I spent on the rest - mostly stuff I had laying around - under £350 total I think (about 5 years ago). So real budget stuff

blah blah blah

Edited by E.T., 15 September 2010 - 01:21 pm.

#5 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:30 pm

Nice one ET !

Don't forget to put a fridge & a shelf for the stereo and cakes...

top_640.png

#6 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:19 pm

I have one of these

http://www.argos.co......|14418834.htm

Ignore the pic it is much bigger than that.

Or

They are very sturdy when built. They do take a while to build. At least a full day. But they are good value and seem very secure although if the scrotes want it they will have it!

Matt

#7 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:12 pm

got mine from KYBOTECH. Great Dutch barn style roof gives plenty of extra storage. No probs assembling, good quality. 8x10 is perfect for small bench, bike and all the other shoite associated with sheds........get a 2nd one for the lawn mower, paint and push irons tho'!
Good luck.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#8 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:39 pm

like this?

#9 DaveM

DaveM

just half a litre to go

• 825 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:56 pm

QUOTE(Snorvey @ Wed 15th Sep 2010, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I paid 535 quid (plus a fiver for delivery) for a Keter 11x8 plastic shed from Argos (this was on a deal, so hunt around)

This may seem a silly question - can the shed be constructed entirely from the inside. Reason I ask is that I have a gap of about 9 foot between garage and fence and would like to fit shed in gap but if I went for one of these I would not be able to get down either side when constructing?

Dave

#10 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:37 pm

Ketter shed

Dave

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:50 am

This may seem a silly question - can the shed be constructed entirely from the inside. Reason I ask is that I have a gap of about 9 foot between garage and fence and would like to fit shed in gap but if I went for one of these I would not be able to get down either side when constructing?

I think it could. You basically lay the floor down (the panels screw together) and then start at one corner inside the shed fitting corner piece, panel, upright, window panel, upright panel and then corner panel, then you bind them altogether with the guttering system and repeat.
The only time I remember being outside the shed was when I was climbing on the neighbours fence slotting the roof panels in - and again when I had to zip about 200 long screws in under the roofline all around the structure.

Here's a vid that should give you a better idea:

Cheers

D

Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#12 Fernihough

Fernihough

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 16 September 2010 - 08:18 am

QUOTE(E.T. @ Wed 15th Sep 2010, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I converted my standard garden shed specifically for my TDM

The Shed itself is 8' long - this is only just long enough, and if you intend working on it I would suggest at least 10'.

ET
Nice "shed conversion"
Like JBX I would suggest Radio and fridge!
More seriously, it would not cost much to install a gutter and a water butt. Add a small pond type sump pump and you can have a water point in/next to your shed to clean the bike etc
I did it with a larger shed (a log cabin in fact). I am amased with the volume of water you can collect on a relatively small surface. That is England for you!!!
Darwin theory in action - Natural evolution from 4 legs to 2, from 4 wheels to 2

Yam DTR125 / Yam TTR250 / Blue TDM900 2005

Fender extension; Right miror extension; Tutoro oiler; Frank Thomas leather Bullit Retro Jacket with Knox back protector for normal time and textile jacket with forcefield 4 for long trips, monolock plate with E45 GIVI top case, Michelin PR2

#13 Bobajob

Bobajob

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:06 am

Thanks Gents, lots to look at.

Keep them coming.
1997 TDM850 MKII - Yamaha/Krauser panniers, Nexxus,cut down screen No Screen!, Osram nightbreakers, PR2s, Interphone F4. Missing her already and on the hunt for a newbie!

#14 Snorvey

Snorvey

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:57 am

With regard to size, 11' is long enough (with a little bit to spare) to get the TDM up on both axle stands. Widthwise, 8 feet is fine for working around both sides of the bike without having to shift it to either side and to get a shelving unit plus a smallish workbench. I dont have power out to mine (too many regs these days) - I do have a 4 socket RCD protected extension which I run back to the kitchen if Im working out there.

I also have a cheap folding metal chair on each side of the shed, which saves space when folded and avoids you having to lift one around the work area. (Folding metal chairs are also handy for additional support if you're jacking up the front end for fork removal etc).

HTH

D

Did I mention 135mph?

And that's official

#15 Bobajob

Bobajob

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:42 pm

I use an Abba stand which saves on space but still need enough room to get a trolley jack under the front or rear. I need to measure my work bench and see if I can get it at one end then there's the tool cabinets. Enough space to put a foldy chair to smoke the odd cigar and contemplate my person would be nice.
Just found out it's going to cost me £545 +vat to get the asbestos roof taken off the garage!!! If it wasn't for the fact it's huge, was built slap bang in the middle of the garden and takes up ALL usable space I would leave it but SWMBO has decreed it has to go to make way for a play area for our 3 year old. Can't argue.

ps ET - Nice set up. You obviously have too much time on your hands! tongue.gif

Edited by Bobajob, 16 September 2010 - 12:43 pm.

#16 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:55 pm

I want a shed now - but need somewhere to put it first...god dam you lot!
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#17 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:22 pm

I bought my wooden shad about 10 yrs ago, 10'X5.5' made to measure, for no extra cost the door was widened to take moto-x bars on the TDM, base was also strengthed, windows I could put them anywhere on the sides, my choice. hole cut for ground anchor, all part of the deal. the shed is on hard standing of chippings. I would suggest next time I put concrete there.

whats happened inthe last couple of years next door put earth againt the wood fence to make a border, the fence rotted, earth fell onto shed and ther underneath started to rot.

I cut out the rotten floor only about 1ft X 6ft, relaid batterns then I bought some decking boards from b & q, think they were £3 per 6 ft length. so my shed floor is now rebuild better than before.

I know some one who bought a metal shed, he does not recommend it (think it was a cheapy) the bike is covered in condensation most of the year.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:37 pm

Mighta been me Dave, I did use a metal shed and got a lot o condensation in there. A couple o air vents might have sorted it tho.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:58 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Thu 16th Sep 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mighta been me Dave, I did use a metal shed and got a lot o condensation in there. A couple o air vents might have sorted it tho.

I think probably not.

Years ago, my parents ran a mail order bookstore (before the people that ever invented the interweb had been born). They also used to go to National events with a mobile bookshop - this origianlly was a converted 55 seater coach. Then my dad decided to make a purpose built trailer - Ordered the chassis and built it out of aluminium panels and section (proper coach work stuff). It was lined too, but ended up as a disaster because of the condensation issues -

Anyone that keeps tools in a shed will tell you that they go rusty. I have a polypropelene shed for the garden tools - they go rusty too.

this was one reason why I went for wood/polystyrene and a panel heater (only comes on when temperature is <10C) its enough to keep everything condensation free and non-rusty tools / inside of fuel tank etc.

#20 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:59 pm

There is a place over in Rutherglen that does well made sheds for not bad money, better than some of the sheds you get at B&Q that you can spit through the panels
I'll try get the name for you.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users