10 replies to this topic

#1 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:28 am

Hi 

It's the second time this week that I've to adjust the clutch free play. It went  from 1 cm to 2 cm. I've adjusted it, and two days later the same. The top and bottom adjusters are on the limit. I suspect it is the cable because the  lever on the engine is not on the normal position with the clutch fully depressed, but I do not believe the cable is stretching.

Any thoughts about it?

#2 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:50 am

Sounds a bit odd to be suddenly adjusting the free play so much.  Even over a long period of time I wouldn't expect to adjust like that.

I'd have a closer look at things - if it suddenly 'stretches' like that I'd guess the cable is snapping and as it's unwinding at the break it's gaining length which would mean it could snap on you any minute.

Is the clutch operating ok still and does the lever on the clutch cover return to the correct position when engaged?

#3 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:27 am

Sort of the problem happened to me a few years back. Had to adjust the clutch a few times in a short period but ran out of adjustment.

It just seemed to fail / stretch very quickly towards the end of its life.

Flagged an OEM cable on (£33) and I have never needed to mess about with it again.

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#4 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:03 pm

I switched to a heavy duty clutch recently, it adjusted normally and off I went. Then one day in traffic I noticed it dragging and couldn't get neutral. It seems this particular clutch expands a little bit when hot, when slipping the clutch in traffic. I've managed to adjust the cable to somewhere that gives me the best of both worlds.

Is your problem heat/type of use related ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#5 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:09 pm

I switched to a heavy duty clutch recently, it adjusted normally and off I went. Then one day in traffic I noticed it dragging and couldn't get neutral. It seems this particular clutch expands a little bit when hot, when slipping the clutch in traffic. I've managed to adjust the cable to somewhere that gives me the best of both worlds.

Is your problem heat/type of use related ?

No. Once it gets loose it stays loose.

Sounds a bit odd to be suddenly adjusting the free play so much.  Even over a long period of time I wouldn't expect to adjust like that.

I'd have a closer look at things - if it suddenly 'stretches' like that I'd guess the cable is snapping and as it's unwinding at the break it's gaining length which would mean it could snap on you any minute.

Is the clutch operating ok still and does the lever on the clutch cover return to the correct position when engaged?

It is operating, but the biting point gets too close to the handler.

#6 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:38 pm

No. Once it gets loose it stays loose.

It is operating, but the biting point gets too close to the handler.

Just to cut out the obvious, how old is the cable?

If we're talking donkeys years old, then the best bet is simply the cable is on it's last legs as Nig says, especially if you've used up the adjustment at both ends of the cable.

#7 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:45 pm

Just to cut out the obvious, how old is the cable?

If we're talking donkeys years old, then the best bet is simply the cable is on it's last legs as Nig says, especially if you've used up the adjustment at both ends of the cable.

Follow advices and already bought a new one. I've opted for a used one (27000Kms). Mine was 90000Kms and hope it solves.

I've taken the opportunity and also  bought a rear shock to try to solve my knock/knock problem on the rear.

Thanks for all the advices!

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 04:34 pm

Mine was 90000Kms

Er, yeah I think that may have been the problem ;)

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:37 pm

Adjust it at the gearbox side first and make sure the angle between the cable and the arm isn't more than 90 deg, otherwise the action won't be effective

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:39 pm

Mine starting doing that and not long after, it snapped. It's probably starting to fray and eventually PING! Best check it and if in doubt get a new one and eliminate the cable from the equation.

#11 CharlieMac

CharlieMac

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:49 pm

I also had the same problem and thought that the clutch must be on the way out. Despite continually adjusting the cable, the biting point was always very nearly at the full extent of the lever and very abrupt. Normal service was resumed with the fitting of a new cable. A bit of a basa to replace, but hopefully will last a good few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users