405 replies to this topic

#261 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:11 am

Getting the relationship between the ignition timing and the cam/valve timing, first

So how is that achieved? I want this to be on the safe side, and I can get the mixture how I want it, but the advance mapping is a bit of a mystery to me.  

Edited by Coxylaad, 07 June 2019 - 08:11 am.

#262 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:56 am

So how is that achieved? I want this to be on the safe side, and I can get the mixture how I want it, but the advance mapping is a bit of a mystery to me.  

Some tuners temporarily fit a knock sensor. But you can hear knock too, so you can still keep advancing until you get knock and then retard a bit.

With 97 RON fuel especially 34 degrees will almost certainly be safe. 32 degrees would be safe with 95RON supermarket fuel (just figures based on some experience of my own and what people on tuning forums end up setting theirs too)

Manufacturers seem to end up fine tuning the timing in order to create the character of the powerplant suitable for the widest range of riders, it's why we see the low gear torque limiters on many bikes to keep the front end from coming up on a novice rider.

I think aswell there are some implications for emissions limits but I haven't looked into that much, but it's certainly easier for manufacturers to tweak a 'global' timing map than it is to start to retune fueling maps when all they're trying to do is make an engine a bit more user friendly.

A +4 degree advance kit is available for most bikes, and it's accepted that most bikes can run with at least another 4 degrees of advance safely. If you had an original map you could start just by adding 4 degrees across the board.

I'm working away from home a lot recently (Sunderland) but if I get the chance I'll try downloading the map from the Samios ECU and comparing it to the untuned data I already downloaded before sending it off.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#263 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:14 am

can you get access to your maps ? that would be a great comparison for me. 

I am only about 10 to 15 minutes away from Sunderland, if you were bored after work pop round and I'll show you the setup. 

I think I might set a safe max of 32 degrees. I'm not bothered about extracting the maximum power out of the engine, 

#264 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 12:06 pm

can you get access to your maps ? that would be a great comparison for me. 

I am only about 10 to 15 minutes away from Sunderland, if you were bored after work pop round and I'll show you the setup. 

I think I might set a safe max of 32 degrees. I'm not bothered about extracting the maximum power out of the engine, 

I'll see what I can do to get the maps out of the ECU. It would be good to get out one evening, but will have to see how it goes on a day by day basis, but I'm there from Mon-Fri

#265 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:11 pm

much appreciated. I will copy it and see what its like. I wonder how much difference my tuned engine makes to the mapping - the higher compression will probably require less advance. 

#266 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:32 pm

much appreciated. I will copy it and see what its like. I wonder how much difference my tuned engine makes to the mapping - the higher compression will probably require less advance. 

I've got the full ROM from the Samios ECU now... I'll put it through a file comparison program to pick out the differences from the original

#267 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:41 pm

this is getting exciting!  i do wonder if some of those TDM 900's that have troublesome snatchy power delivery could be fixed by this kind of tinkering that you guys are doing?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#268 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:31 pm

I've identified the map locations, but not sure which are fuelling and which are ignition related.

I need a file called an 'ECU definition' file to load into a program called 'RomRaider', which will then automagically identify them. I've put a couple of beg/requests for the defintiion file on a couple of boards.

#269 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:26 pm

You the man!

#270 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:31 pm

Back to the older car tuning fixit - full advance was only for economical cruising - whenever load/full throttle was applied the vacuum advance (around 10/12 degrees extra from mid twenty degrees of mechanical advance) was removed, so around 25/30 degrees of advance was the norm under WOT. An interesting post, great to see the old bike back on song again  :badgerrock:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#271 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:40 am

Back to the older car tuning fixit - full advance was only for economical cruising - whenever load/full throttle was applied the vacuum advance (around 10/12 degrees extra from mid twenty degrees of mechanical advance) was removed, so around 25/30 degrees of advance was the norm under WOT. An interesting post, great to see the old bike back on song again  :badgerrock:

More than one way to kill a stick to shake at a bird, for sure

Centrifugal ignition advance mechanisms work solely on engine revs, the higher the revs the greater the advance, regardless of whether the throttle is WOT , or not. I ran a kz550ltd for a few years which had centrifugal advance, which would sometimes stick and need cleaning up.

Coxy I'm trying to find someone with the necessary software to extract the ignition table form the Samios remap. There is a good program called 'WinOLS' which shows them roughly but it's all hex data, which although is easily converted to decimal, there is no way of knowing the scaling factor in use, so a value of 'FF' (decimal 255), might mean 100 degrees of advance or it might mean 75 degrees....there is no way of knowing what the limits are at the moment.(and therefore not possible to infer the true value of each piece of data)

#272 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:34 am

I'm in Sunderland but I'll be doing long days all week Cozy, doubt I'll have a chance to come visit.

#273 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:42 pm

update on the project:

I traced the random misfire down to a bad earth on the right hand coil.

For some reason I managed to forget to clean off the powder coating where the coil earths to the frame on that side. I think I might have carried out a trial fit of that coil and forgot to remove it. 

Anyway the bikes is all sorted. Its proper quick now and has a great spread of usable torque.

I am heading up to scotland on it this week so i will provide a full report. 

p.s. I made myself an ignition map based on a map that I managed to pinch from a ktm 990 duke. they run higher compression so it should be safe. 

#274 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:55 pm

update on the project:

I traced the random misfire down to a bad earth on the right hand coil.

For some reason I managed to forget to clean off the powder coating where the coil earths to the frame on that side. I think I might have carried out a trial fit of that coil and forgot to remove it. 

Anyway the bikes is all sorted. Its proper quick now and has a great spread of usable torque.

I am heading up to scotland on it this week so i will provide a full report. 

p.s. I made myself an ignition map based on a map that I managed to pinch from a ktm 990 duke. they run higher compression so it should be safe. 

Excellent. Give me a shout if you're anywhere near the Central Belt and fancy a rest/coffee.

#275 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:30 pm

Excellent. Give me a shout if you're anywhere near the Central Belt and fancy a rest/coffee.

Ditto - it would be good to see the ol' soldier again

Edited by dandywarhol, 23 June 2019 - 10:31 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#276 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:04 am

So i went to bonnie Scotland at the weekend. Sorry guys we did nothing but ride and eat lorn sausage, no down time at all! 

Weather was largely dry but very cold. I made the error of choosing my summer leather jacket as it was warm when i was packing my bike, and also it was summer solstice so you would expect decent temperatures. Wrong! the vented stretch panels running up my arms and on the side of my rib cage directed freezing cold air into my armpits. I have never been so cold in my damn life.   I ended up buying a roll of gaffer tape at a garage and taping all the vents up. It was better but definitely not cosy. 

The bike was just awesome. So strong now that  on full power the clutch is slipping which ir never used to do, so I will have to sort that out. The bike was flexible enough to allow me to bimble along in top at 2500rpm, and will pull from there strongly right through. I going to make some modifications to the mapping for my own preference. I am going to retard the ignition at the 2 and 5% areas from 2000rpm to 3500rpm, as I can feel it hunting every so slightly. Best to to describe it is it feels like a hoss straining at the leash to take off. I want it to happy content to trott along in that zone, it makes for more pleasant cruising. 

The fuel economy was pretty amazing. I was riding with my dad on his street triple R, he likes to fill up every 80 mile for some weird reason, and I was putting at least a litre less fuel in than his bike every time, sometimes quite a bit less.  By my rough calcs I was getting over 60mpg. 

So new clutch plates and possibly slightly heavier springs depending on how worn the old clutch plates turn out to be, and little tweaking of the mapping and I am pretty much done!

#277 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 11:12 am

UP7TnjA.jpg

HhzpMiW.jpg

uZX4iao.jpg

Sy4JmOk.jpg

I think I have sorted Scotlands midgie problem out, there cant be many of them left now.

Edited by Coxylaad, 25 June 2019 - 11:14 am.

#278 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:06 pm

Sounds like a great trip all round !.

#279 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:41 pm

Good work - enjoy the bike. a set of plates might just sort it - especially at the leg on it  :pimp:

#280 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 08:06 am

yes that will be the first option, new clutch friction plates.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users