#1 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:47 pm

Not that I don't like the TDM, he's just getting a little long in the tooth as they say. He's also half apart in the garage at the moment waiting for the front forks to be rebuilt. Meanwhile I'm having to drive around in a cage while the sun's out and I'm getting the heebie jeebies.

So I'm looking at a couple of BMW bikes. I can't ride the GS, it's too freaking tall. But I've got my eye on a couple of fine looking lads from 2004 that might make for a dependable long haul touring mount. Wish there were some new TDM's out here, it would make the decision much easier.

(note that since I'm a lady my bikes have always been gents, just to keep things even tongue.gif )

I'll let you all know what happens when the deal goes down

PS: I'm keeping the TDM, it's not worth selling and it will still make a dependable commuter and canyon carver.
1992 TDM 850, RED
Corbin seat, Kerker pipes, Givi top case.
DMPHOTOSD.com

#2 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:03 pm

I hope you find what you're looking for and have loads of fun with the -soon to be- new bike.

Personally there is only one BMW I would ever consider buying (if I ever had the money to): a K1200R yeahyeahyeah.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#3 nitram

nitram

Carpe groupie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:41 pm

How about the SV650 from Suzuki, I know it's a more sporty looking bike, but I know they sell it in the U,S of A. One of my workmates has one and after changing the OE tyres he's well pleased with it. Not too tall either.
They also do a TDM'ish version with the 650twin lump in, the DL650. here you go Another of my workmates has the DL and it's his commuting tool as his weekend bike is a gsxrrrr1000rrrrrrrr. He toured Europe with his wife on the back of the CL, did 2500 miles in 4 weeks without a hitch. Cheap to buy, insure and run too biggrin.gif

Edited by nitram, 07 July 2006 - 05:42 pm.

#4 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:02 pm

After owning a Suzuki once, I probably won't again. I also don't want to get something that would just copy the TDM. Finding I want to get something a little different, and also a little more popular so that finding parts later on down the road won't turn out to be so difficult. sad.gif
1992 TDM 850, RED
DMPHOTOSD.com

#5 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:39 pm

Why don't you try out a BMW K1200RS Darcy ?

They're cheap as chips at the moment, as the owners trade up to K1200R's & S's & they really go well.
A bit on the heavy side, & they look a bit dated now (but you must be used to that with a mk 1) biggrin.gif
But they really do go, & they handle well

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#6 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:40 pm

QUOTE(darcym @ Fri 7th Jul 2006, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After owning a Suzuki once, I probably won't again. I also don't want to get something that would just copy the TDM. Finding I want to get something a little different, and also a little more popular so that finding parts later on down the road won't turn out to be so difficult. sad.gif

What about one of the new parallel twin 800cc beemers? they look nice, and there'll be a gs version next year if ya can wait that long.

#7 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:06 pm

QUOTE(darcym @ Fri 7th Jul 2006, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that I don't like the TDM, he's just getting a little long in the tooth as they say. He's also half apart in the garage at the moment waiting for the front forks to be rebuilt. Meanwhile I'm having to drive around in a cage while the sun's out and I'm getting the heebie jeebies.

So I'm looking at a couple of BMW bikes. I can't ride the GS, it's too freaking tall. But I've got my eye on a couple of fine looking lads from 2004 that might make for a dependable long haul touring mount. Wish there were some new TDM's out here, it would make the decision much easier.

(note that since I'm a lady my bikes have always been gents, just to keep things even tongue.gif )

I'll let you all know what happens when the deal goes down

PS: I'm keeping the TDM, it's not worth selling and it will still make a dependable commuter and canyon carver.

As long as you are keeping the TDM you are not really going over to the dark side... cool.gif
Best luck with whatever you choose. Expect to see you in here on a regular basis tho miss. wink.gif
The BMW parallel twin looks good on paper, hear they affect your eyesight tho. blink.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#8 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:46 am

Been having fun doing research. tongue.gif

Sat on the SV 650 today, don't like it. It's out. dry.gif

BMW. Can't wait for the BMW 800, it's not here yet and it's unknown when or if the GS version will come to the USA. Given that the local BMW dealership is filled to the brim with the other GS versions, which must be selling like crazy, it would be stupid of BMW not to bring it over here. But we'll have to wait. I don't really care for the sport versions, styling wise, and size and features it's too much like the TDM. It might be the call if they did it up in the CS style like the little 650 thumper. I like the looks of that, plus it's got funky written all over it with that cargo hatch fake tank. But that and the F 650 GS are too small I think to work as a long haul touring bike over freeways. The GS 1100 is just too damn tall.

I've never liked the K version bikes, too much plastic adornment. Mostly I don't care for the purely sport bike versions. I like a naked bike.

I just did an insurance comparison on similar years of the BMW R 1150 R and R 1200 C. The Cruiser version has annual premiums more than half what it would cost for the Roadster. I've always fancied the 1150 R, but may go for the Cruiser to have lower operating costs and lower seat height. Both feet on the ground. How weird will that be. blink.gif

Oh, and the R 1200 R that was just introduced? SWEET! But no way I'm getting a new bike, too many deals on used bikes to pass up.

Edited by darcym, 08 July 2006 - 12:48 am.

1992 TDM 850, RED
DMPHOTOSD.com

#9 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:03 am

I did some k's on the 650CS. It's great fun and the 'tankbox' you can get with is is a nice feature but it's not the best option for touring and highway cruising. Perfect city bike though.

I haven't had the chance to testdrive the F800 series personally yet, but I listened very carefully to people that did. Seems it's a good all-round bike, quite comfy, good for touring good wind protection, adequate steering and brakes. But the engine seems a tad boring. It's always predictable and when you give it the hardest twist of the wrist the throttle allows you it doesn't give you the kick in the butt you would expect from a bike like this.

But if you like 'm naked, how about a KTM superduke yeahyeahyeah.gif yahoo.gif yeahyeahyeah.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:52 am

QUOTE(darcym @ Sat 8th Jul 2006, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mostly I don't care for the purely sport bike versions. I like a naked bike.

I was quite impressed with a mates CB1300. Looks good in a retro kind of a way and goes like sh!t off a shovel.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Guest_Emmett_*

Guest_Emmett_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:57 am

What about this one, if you like nakeds

The cb1300 is nice too, but go for the red and white one, not the black one (sorry Bondys Brother)

#12 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:13 am

QUOTE(Emmett @ Sat 8th Jul 2006, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looks a lot better in black and yellow if you ask me

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 laughin in a windstorm

laughin in a windstorm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:21 pm

The cb1300 is nice too, but go for the red and white one, not the black one (sorry Bondys Brother)

crikey was the rider badly hurt in that accident, the bike's a real mess.
it's not my time to go, it's not my time to die
the last thing I want is for my family to cry

#14 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:58 pm

QUOTE(Emmett @ Sat 8th Jul 2006, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's the K1200R I mentioned earlier good.gif

only downside: it's very heavy for a naked. and bloody expensive too ranting.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#15 Guinness

Guinness

has been here 4ever

• 1,657 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:22 pm

-//-

-//-
everytime i see that i expect it to stand up and "morf" into a robot
very "robocop"ish
I'm an insomniac agnostic dyslexic. I lay awake at night and wonder if there really is a dog.

yamaha : xv535/92-92 | red TDM850/92-05 | silver TDM900A/05-

get them here

#16 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:15 pm

It is a bit strange looking in a sexy kind of way.... but hey! we ride TDM's we should be used to strange.

BTW Mr G, like the Carpe Sticker.

Staff gets the first one free right? I think I read that someplace. rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#17 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:19 pm

Well, I've been having withdrawals since the TDM is still in pieces in the garage as I'm waiting for parts and help with the fork seal project. Then it'll be on to the carbs.

Meanwhile, I got a can't pass up price on a 2004 BMW R 1150 R in Ferro Metallic (Blue), with all the extras less luggage. Bought it. Pick it up this afternoon.

I'll still get the TDM sorted out and it'll be my usual commuter unless I can't get it sorted. Pretty happy with having a stable of rides to choose from.

I'll post pics soon ...
smile.gif
dm
1992 TDM 850, RED
DMPHOTOSD.com

#18 Nosaj

Nosaj

Carpe junky

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:26 pm

QUOTE(Guinness @ Sat 8th Jul 2006, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
everytime i see that i expect it to stand up and "morf" into a robot
very "robocop"ish

people tell me the TDM is an ugly bike, but that thing is ugly

TDM = Kate Moss

BMW = Margaret Beckett (ugly bird in the British Parliament)

#19 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 July 2006 - 10:30 am

QUOTE(darcym @ Tue 11th Jul 2006, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I've been having withdrawals since the TDM is still in pieces in the garage as I'm waiting for parts and help with the fork seal project. Then it'll be on to the carbs.

Meanwhile, I got a can't pass up price on a 2004 BMW R 1150 R in Ferro Metallic (Blue), with all the extras less luggage. Bought it. Pick it up this afternoon.

I'll still get the TDM sorted out and it'll be my usual commuter unless I can't get it sorted. Pretty happy with having a stable of rides to choose from.

I'll post pics soon ...
smile.gif
dm

Good for you. I've always wanted a boxer twin, had a look at a R1150 R a few years ago but they're quite pricey second hand here, even with high miles on them. Lot of people put screens on em, makes them a bit more usable long distance. Does it burn oil?

#20 darcym

darcym

Carpe fan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 07:25 pm

oh yeah, the R 1150 R is just the ticket. A lot of the naked bikes you guys get in the UK aren't available here. This one is an '04 with less than 2500 miles on it, practically new. Still have a year's worth of warranty too.

I've just replaced the back seat with the plastic bit that bmw sells, and added the luggage rack that the previous owner didn't have installed. I've got a line on some used side cases for cheap (relatively - all the bmw bits are $$$ !). It's been a fun commuter while the TDM still sits in pieces. Hope to do a canyon run this weekend if it's not too hot.

Oh, some of the tech bits -- it's got ABS brakes (they make a funny whirring noise but the brakes on this thing will stop a frieght train), heated grips, dual spark (new for '04 to cure supposed surging problems), blacked out engine, shaft drive, accessory electrical port (like for a heated vest), dinky fly screen (doesn't do much except keep bugs off the instrument chrome). I added a Kissan signal minder which automatically turns off the turn signals - a neat feature; the signal minder also does a fast flash when you hold down the turn signal switch, good for getting attention for lane changes.

Edited by darcym, 20 July 2006 - 07:31 pm.

1992 TDM 850, RED
DMPHOTOSD.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users