10 replies to this topic

#1 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:03 am

Looking for some advice on a VW i am thinking of buying.

We are looking to get a new(ish) family car and narrowed it down to a VW Tiguan we came across this a local'ish dealer. Everything checks out ok but were I was told it was DSG gearbox I now believe it is a 6 speed autobox. So how do you confirm its is either DSG or just a 6 speed auto. Research has show there are some known issues with the DSG but are there any issues with the 6 speed autos, or should I stay away and stick to manual ( and there DMF issues though I have never had that in 5 VWs)

Thanks in advance.

TAM

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#2 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:00 am

Talk to to VW, give them the engine and chassis number and they should be able to tell you.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 April 2014 - 05:56 am

Not 100% on this but that gearbox issue was down to them using synth oil. Some sort of crystallisation was happening at high temps messing everything up. Good old mineral oil was the answer.

That said auto gearboxes are very complicated expensive to fix.

Manual for me.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:53 am

Pretty much everybody I know with a less than 12 year old VW has had some sort of problem with it. Nearly always expensive. That could be an antipodean thing, though. (The cost)

Gear boxes ( auto, DSG), sensors, brakes, airbags etc & engine management. Recently a friend with a 2 1/2 year old Golf with 3 years manufacturers warranty has broken down for different reasons 5 times. Car just no go. An 8 year old Passat Estate had the ABS light on permanently, so no WOF (MOT), $890 to fix. The dash light connection, that is. ABS was fine. Another Passat Estate munched it's DSG box, car was a write off, 5 years old.

Obviously this is all in isolation, not indicative. I like VW's. Had an 88 Passat with just shy of 500'000 kms on it which went like a cut cat but when the head gasket showed signs of going & the clutch was getting close to it's last bite I flicked it. Bloody thing is still on the road!

It sometimes seems that car manufacturers have created two tiers of vehicles, price point for the masses & less corners cut for the upper earners. If the Tiguan is an upper tier vehicle then it might be a good buy.

I could also generally be talking ignorant cobblers, just my observations.

Any hoo. I would do some serious research on what else is available similar to the Tiguan & weigh up all, if any, issues before parting with me readies.

Them DSG gear boxes are a nightmare if they fail. Hideously expensive to fix.

Good luck with your new car.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:06 am

I would avoid DSG like the plague. They have problems and nearly always results in a new gear box if it goes wrong.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#6 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:26 am

Been doing more digging looks like it is not the DSG but and Tipronic auto box which does seem to have a better reputation. 

But if anyone know anything more that would be great.

The current 06 Jetta I have is nearing 100,000 mile with only an air bag fault ( loose connection) and the throttle pedal fault that has ever caused me problems the rest service, maintenance and consumables. My previous Sharan had 138k on it  and my other VW have no real issues. You do seem to hear a lot of stories of peoples woes but may be I've been lucky or the others have not!

TAM

1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

#7 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 April 2014 - 01:24 pm

I done a search on the DSG gearbox before I changed the car last year, I ended up buying the car with DSG 7 speed autobox with paddle shift too.

there is a lot of info on pistonheads this is worth a read .http://www.pistonhea...ic.asp?t=764654

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#8 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:43 pm

Thanks for the replies, looks like might not need the advice due to the dealer not wanting to make a deal!!!!

I was willing to pay the sticker price as long as he replaced the pitted disc and 3 cracked tyres. He said he would replace 1 front tyre due to it being close to limit but the 2 rears were not an MOT failure therefore not willing to replace them.

So I have now found a manual Tiguan same price, age, nearly same miles, same equipment level and 4 good tyres. The only problem it's down south!!!

TAM

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:51 pm

Sounds like a safer bet.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 howie

howie

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 207 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:31 am

I have owned 2 pre 2000 1.8 petrol vw's super cars and plus 40mpg, but the recent models are riddled with problems

ie old 1.9 diesel ok newer 2.0 diesel oil pump drive shear problem. thats progress for you!  

#11 lparker

lparker

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:38 pm

Snap. Stick with the older stuff. I had a 2.8v6 audi a6 with just over 200000 on it. Auto tip tronic gear box and not a ounce of trouble. Got a golf diesel now. 1.9 pd engine. Bullet proof.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users