18 replies to this topic

#1 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:28 pm

Hi all

I've just bought my Very Dark Blue 2002 9er a few mouths and have already 4000Kms of pleasure. I've discovered a  hidden treasure, and found the bike great in all aspects but one. Wind protection.

With the original screen I found it really pour. I bought a MRA VT, and it got much better, but I think it could improve.

Didn't want to have a really big screen like Madstad or Tiger ( don't know if it is still available ).

I've already pass trough the previous post about this, but did not find good answers.

I'm looking for previous experiences, so I can save some money trying different screens.

Does anybody Knows how it compares MRA VT, Givi Touring, Yamaha +145? What about any combination of the Flap from the VT on the others?

By the way I'm 1,8m (6').

Thanks for your help.

#2 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 May 2017 - 01:23 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=34470

Grab this I've got one and works a treat... and its a bargain.

My height is 5.11"

Edited by Latestarter, 12 May 2017 - 01:31 pm.

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#3 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:57 pm

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=34470Grab this I've got one and works a treat... and its a bargain.My height is 5.11"

The one in your bike is Yamaha or Givi?
Do you have any ideia how it compares to ghee Mra VT?

#4 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:02 pm

Evening, it's a genuine Yamaha. Tried a Madstad but just couldn't get on with it..

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#5 RobinHood

RobinHood

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 03:54 pm

I just snaffled that screen thanks to your link there latestarter, cheers I can't wait to have the right screen on there. I'm 6'2" and i reckon this will do me well..

#6 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:50 pm

I just snaffled that screen thanks to your link there latestarter, cheers I can't wait to have the right screen on there. I'm 6'2" and i reckon this will do me well..

I can't fault the original touring screen from Yamaha, tried quite a few but always ended up with this one

#7 josepgoncalves

josepgoncalves

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:15 am

Hi there

Seems like I'm kind of late to try it!
@RobinWood: if possible or send some feedback on how it works.

BR
Jose

#8 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:26 pm

I've run:

• Standard screen
  • Modified Standard screen
  • Yam Touring (+145) screen
  • MRA Vario
  • MRA Bubble

Of all of them the MRA Vario was the best, and the MRA Bubble second.

I found the Yam touring screen too flexible at motorway speeds, and had concerns around it damaging nose cone

I'm investigating the option of creating my own Vario type affair as I have pair of standard screen.

Unfortunately with this topic the answer is not one-size fits all...you'll have to try various options to work out the best solution.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#9 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:53 am

I've only had the bike a few weeks, it came fitted with MRA vario which I thought was great at first but after 1000 km ride home I decided to try the original screen. Another 1000km and I can say it's definitely quieter, my helmet sits just above the turbulence but the screen kicks it off my chest. I'm 6'

I'd still like something better but not prepared to spend the money to find out afterwards.

Cheers

#10 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:53 am

I've only had the bike a few weeks, it came fitted with MRA vario which I thought was great at first but after 1000 km ride home I decided to try the original screen. Another 1000km and I can say it's definitely quieter, my helmet sits just above the turbulence but the screen kicks it off my chest. I'm 6'

I'd still like something better but not prepared to spend the money to find out afterwards.

Cheers

Depending on where you are you may find a local Carpedian who will lend you an alternative for a test ride...?

Standard screen generates a lot of disturbance just below the lip of the screen...if you're prepared to modify the standard screen you can drill some holes in the lower section of the screen to allow a small amount of airflow on the underside which helps to clear the disturbance.

Take a look at a Tracer - they have an air gap at the bottom of the screen.

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#11 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:00 am

Thanks dmmsta that's a good tip. I'll go look at a tracer.

btw I'm in Oz (NSW) if anyone wants to try out a MRA vario. You lot all seem to be in pommieland

#12 dmmsta

dmmsta

• 3,627 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:03 am

There's a few in Oz.

Greame, Azza, Masterbrewer are the 3 that come to mind.  Not really sure where they are specifically, so might be a bit of a trip to meet up with people...

-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----

#13 fayeslane

fayeslane

seems to like Carpe

• 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:35 am

Albury

#14 MalS7

MalS7

sticking around

• 36 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:44 am

There's a few in Oz.
Greame, Azza, Masterbrewer are the 3 that come to mind.  Not really sure where they are specifically, so might be a bit of a trip to meet up with people...

Great! We will have to have a get together. None of us will live more than 4000km apart.

Edited by MalS7, 16 May 2017 - 08:46 am.

#15 gabby

gabby

really likes Carpe

• 95 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:07 am

Hi All. Not been here is some time, but saw this thread and thought I would add my two cents worth. Like most of us I also tried everything, but just gave up on anything that was at the same angle as the original screen; it's just too low.

My final solution was the Palmer Products adapter and the MRA Vario screen. See photos.

The adapter will adjust a lot higher/steeper than I have it shown now if required. The screen and little adjustable gizmo on top will flick the airstream to the top of my helmet and cuts down noise hugely. Other changes I made were to cut down an old original screen to fit in the fairly large bottom gap that is left by fitting the adapter. That has two purposes: it keeps water out and creates another air flow up the back of the main screen which helps a lot. And it looks better.  I've also fitted some little matching acrylic winglets on the side.

Decided I couldn't make it any better without a different bike so that's where it's at.

Attached File  PICT0278.JPG   164.86KB   4 downloads

Attached File  PICT0273.JPG   105.8KB   2 downloads

Attached File  PICT0276.JPG   116.94KB   2 downloads

Attached File  PICT0277.JPG   157.83KB   2 downloads

#16 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:12 pm

I'm 5'11" and I have the original Yamaha Touring Screen +145 on mine. I find it gives good weather protection but I get quite a bit of turbulence at motorway speeds, but I can live with it.

I bought a standard screen secondhand and swapped them around for weeks last summer to compare with the touring screen. I found it produced a lot less turbulence and I'll be fitting it again soon, in fact I might just go and do it now! I don't think it'll provide the same weather protection, but I'll give it another go. I have to say, I prefer the look of the touring screen though.

It just goes to show that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I think your helmet makes a big difference too, I use an open-face helmet (HJC IS33).

Edited by Jim, 19 May 2017 - 08:14 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#17 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:29 pm

Hi All. Not been here is some time, but saw this thread and thought I would add my two cents worth. Like most of us I also tried everything, but just gave up on anything that was at the same angle as the original screen; it's just too low.

My final solution was the Palmer Products adapter and the MRA Vario screen. See photos.

The adapter will adjust a lot higher/steeper than I have it shown now if required. The screen and little adjustable gizmo on top will flick the airstream to the top of my helmet and cuts down noise hugely. Other changes I made were to cut down an old original screen to fit in the fairly large bottom gap that is left by fitting the adapter. That has two purposes: it keeps water out and creates another air flow up the back of the main screen which helps a lot. And it looks better.  I've also fitted some little matching acrylic winglets on the side.

Decided I couldn't make it any better without a different bike so that's where it's at.

I also use the Palmer but with a much steeper angle. Works for me.

There is another reason to fit a cut to shape (easy) screen to fill the gap, The TDM's fairing gets a bit flimsy without the screen in the original place. The extra layer will stiffen things up a bit, but not enough. I use a bar across the Palmer's brackets to stalilise things and fit my sat nav on. Palmer sell a bar. Mine is homemade.

Another plus with the Palmer is the option to lift the front end up and get some needed cooling airflow to your bods when it gets really hot and the going is slow.

Rob

Rob

#18 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:13 am

I'm 5'11" and I have the original Yamaha Touring Screen +145 on mine. I find it gives good weather protection but I get quite a bit of turbulence at motorway speeds, but I can live with it.
I bought a standard screen secondhand and swapped them around for weeks last summer to compare with the touring screen. I found it produced a lot less turbulence and I'll be fitting it again soon, in fact I might just go and do it now! I don't think it'll provide the same weather protection, but I'll give it another go. I have to say, I prefer the look of the touring screen though.
It just goes to show that what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I think your helmet makes a big difference too, I use an open-face helmet (HJC IS33).

UPDATE: I put the standard screen on and had a quick ride up to Hartside: weather conditions - slight gusty breeze, low cloud and some light drizzle. The standard screen puts my helmet in clean air flow, meaning less turbulence but more wind noise (HJC IS33 3/4 'touring' helmet with full visor). Strangely, the drizzle didn't clear from the visor as I'd normally expect from the touring screen and I generally felt the wind much more on my shoulders and neck too.

I put the Yamaha touring screen back on as soon as I got home. It's not perfect, but it'll do for me.

Edited by Jim, 21 May 2017 - 11:15 am.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#19 fayeslane

fayeslane

seems to like Carpe

• 45 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:01 am

Screens for Bikes. Better chest protection than standard but still comes with wind noise for me.

TDM2_1.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: screen, wind protection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users