• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:52 pm

Haha well sort of, I like to do my own bike, if there is something I don't know how fix, I rather learn how to do it myself, instead of putting it in a garage with a qualified mechanic. Going to need the know-how later on anyway, bike wrenching is sort of therapy for me. And needs lots of that, haha.
Knowledge is power. And adventure is just bad planning.

#22 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:24 pm

Good on ya fella - knowledge and adventure can go hand in hand. 1200 lb spring - that should add to the space debris  :groucho:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#23 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:32 pm

Yes a tad bit heavy, but so it is with the direct link. Thought about changing the whole swing, to get a wider rear and suspension with dog bones, I guess that's the next mod if all else fails with the R1 shocker. Need to learn how to weld...

#24 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:10 pm

Btw; in theory, is there any reason not to mount the rear shock upside down? It may become a little crowded up there with the top mounting bracket, due to the external reservoir on the R1 shock..

#25 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:43 pm

I have an old ish hagon for a 850 and when I took the spring off so as to clean the body and paint the spring I noticed when I pulled/pushed the damper rod up and down It seemed to have a dead spot for about a 3rd of the travel (no resistance)so I thought It was fecked but turns out It was upside down,right way up and It was nice and smooth for the whole travell,So I would say maybe yes It does matter.

Make sure at least the damper works upside down.

#26 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:23 pm

Thanks for the input guys! If someone has more valuable info on this topic, please share your thoughts. Aha

Will be posting a bit in a new thread, pics and all, I think you people gonna love and hate what i am about to do to this wonderful machine during winter. As a self thaught backstreet mechanic, this will be the most dramatic and challenging project so far. I'll start posting as i get or fabricate the parts I need, and start tearing it apart. Fingers crossed.
Peace

#27 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:49 am

Thanks for the input guys! If someone has more valuable info on this topic, please share your thoughts. Aha

Will be posting a bit in a new thread, pics and all, I think you people gonna love and hate what i am about to do to this wonderful machine during winter. As a self thaught backstreet mechanic, this will be the most dramatic and challenging project so far. I'll start posting as i get or fabricate the parts I need, and start tearing it apart. Fingers crossed.
Peace

Located in Norway, huh ?

Bjørge

#28 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:58 am

Yes, Bergen to be exact. And yourself as well?

#29 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 September 2018 - 09:01 am

Yes, Bergen to be exact. And yourself as well?

Asker  :)

Bjørge

#30 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:32 pm

Btw; in theory, is there any reason not to mount the rear shock upside down? It may become a little crowded up there with the top mounting bracket, due to the external reservoir on the R1 shock..

Should be ok if a gas/oil shock but a no no if only oil (like a basic Hagon

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#31 sigvepigve

sigvepigve

sticking around

• 31 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:21 pm

And the r1 one got nitrogen and oil, so should be ok you think?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: R1 shock, 3vd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users