Photo
- - - - -

The Trx Is Dead (Probably), Long Live The Tdm?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 25 September 2023 - 10:35 am

Old 850 user, new member. Tired of the repeating questions on FB. Long story short my beloved and modified TRX seized intake cam and moslt likely died. Restorable but out of funds and a serious lack of will. Bought this low mileage, blue 2001 850 just to have a ride at the end of season. It runs well, BUT...  :rolleyes:

I'm not a coxylaad to chop frames and cram three-pots in them (the TRX still has the R6 wheels I got from you, top!) more like a "hey this fits lets try it" guy. So with a useless but expensive TRX sitting and a nice TDM beside it the story continues in an evident sort of way. I have most parts for a 17-inch front conversion, performance upgrade with TDMR's and Ignitech plus some bling stoppies from an R1. Jury is still out on using the Akra 2-1 system, it's lighter than current GPR two-can slipons but the latter sounds better and this is not a track bike like the TRX.

Parts replacing ahead!  :lol:

Attached Files

Edited by jpe70, 25 September 2023 - 10:41 am.

TDM 850: my stop gap replacement.

#2 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 25 September 2023 - 12:27 pm

Inlet cam seized. I'm guessing it was oil starved like many dead 850s?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#3 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2023 - 12:51 pm

Inlet cam seized. I'm guessing it was oil starved like many dead 850s?

Yep, for certain. Not sure of why yet, haven't found the will to tear into it.

Edited by jpe70, 25 September 2023 - 01:25 pm.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,779 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 September 2023 - 09:35 am

Have to agree, i think twin exhaust sounds better than a single  :good:  sympathies, mine went bang after a rebuild, owner error most likely in my case.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 06:29 pm

Nothing revolutionary, a lot for my own rememberance:

First replacement on my... third actually... TDM must be handlebars. Height of the stock bars are decent, but honestly? The bend is apparently made for people with very narrow shoulders. Works decently, but contact with what's happening with front wheel is non-existent as usual. So got this Renthal 749 "Road wide and low" bars and quickly realized I've gone overboard. Too low, too wide. Replacing it? Not likely, can't even afford to fix the engine in my TRX, remember?

Solution was to get a set of 20 mm cheaper risers found on Amazon. Searched for a while to find a set made exclusively for 22 mm handlebars to avoid plastic fill-ins. Perfect solution? No, not really. Still too wide for relaxed riding or in town, but works well enough for my kind of riding using it as a sporty twisties bike with decent suspension. Slightly more narrow would be perfect, 740 mm instead of 810 mm but I'll live. :D

Have to agree, i think twin exhaust sounds better than a single  :good:  sympathies, mine went bang after a rebuild, owner error most likely in my case.

It really does. :D

Well, been doing 850's for 20 years or so. Replaced the top end, gaskets and cams. 90 km's later and the day after I got 100 meters from home before shit happened.

Attached Files

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,779 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:16 am

You'll have to ask Santa for a set of Renthal 751's me thinks, of course they might grow on you.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 08:25 am

Hi Jan!  sorry to hear about the old TRX.  is that the end of your track days now? 

The TDM is a great bike and very well suited for road work. I know on the 900 the front wheel from an R1 its a straight swap, but I suspect you have a the earlier thinner front axle on the mk2 850, whic hprobably means the original TRX front wheel will go in without too much trouble.  Do you still have that left over after you fitted teh R6 wheels? 

#8 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:32 pm

Hi Jan!  sorry to hear about the old TRX.  is that the end of your track days now? 

The TDM is a great bike and very well suited for road work. I know on the 900 the front wheel from an R1 its a straight swap, but I suspect you have a the earlier thinner front axle on the mk2 850, whic hprobably means the original TRX front wheel will go in without too much trouble.  Do you still have that left over after you fitted teh R6 wheels? 

Yeah, thanks. Had to stop with track days about the same time that I actually "finished" the bike... Built the bike back to road spec with street fighter bars last winter. But didn't get more than maybe 1000 km's on it after that. Correct, got the thin axle on the 4TX and have a black TRX front wheel sitting on a shelf that I'm gonna try out.

Edited by jpe70, 27 September 2023 - 02:37 pm.

#9 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 02 October 2023 - 12:53 pm

Note to self:

- TRX front wheel need extra or slightly modded spacers PLUS spacer behind discs to fit the 4TX4.

- TDM M/C bracket with mirror doesn't fit on R1 -01 M/C. Holes drilled out 1 mm fixes that issue so stock mirror bracket can be used.

- Remote M/C fluid reservoire can be fitted by simply putting two spare caps back to back on the handlebar with an extension Ladybird-style. Gets it out of the way.

- Street fighter brake lines from TRX are just/barely enought in length.

- 120/70-17 wheel sits the axle 16 mm closer to the ground compared to stock 18"

Blinged it a bit more during the weekend. Some of it like the Ignitech is for actual performance and better running, rest is mostly cosmetic. Someone mucked up jetting so bike runs lean 2-4000 rpm, set back advance in the ignition by 3 degrees to try to counter that somewhat until I get time to re-jet or replace the carbs. Fitted the R1 brakes partly for show but also becasue stock brakes need rebuilding, I had some slow speed uneven braking that is gone now. I'll rebuild the stock one's later, they aren't bad really with the right pads.

Will do carbs swap in a couple of weeks.

Attached Files

Edited by jpe70, 02 October 2023 - 04:47 pm.

#10 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,678 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 October 2023 - 05:14 pm

set back advance in the ignition by 3 degrees

How did you do that, electronically, or mechanically ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#11 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 06:04 am

How did you do that, electronically, or mechanically ?

Electronically, by fitting the Ignitech TCIP4 programmeable ignition unit from my TRX. First picture.

Edited by jpe70, 03 October 2023 - 06:20 am.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,226 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 October 2023 - 04:13 pm

Cool :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,759 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 October 2023 - 01:36 pm

Electronically, by fitting the Ignitech TCIP4 programmeable ignition unit from my TRX. First picture.

i have an ignitech unit, but using it for my xs400 supercharger project when i can get the time in

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#14 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 03:23 pm

Thats a lovely colour blue on that tank

#15 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 07:45 am

Thats a lovely colour blue on that tank

I wanted the black bike first but missed it, and just as well. The blue grows on you and buffs up really nice.

Edited by jpe70, 05 October 2023 - 07:45 am.

#16 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 05:51 pm

So, it took me a while but finally got around to check the fitting of the TDMR's on the last 850. Wasn't expecting it to be plug and play and it wasn't, there are a few smaller issues to solve some that are unique to the 99-01 model.

First though, the plumbing on the stock carbs are... extensive!  :lol: 

Issues that need to be considered:

• TPS. The BDSR carb uses a different smaller TPS than the BDST and TDMR carb so it can't be moved over, and the connector is different too. If you want to use TPS wire needs to be cut and old style connector fitted on bike loom. I'll just tape up the connector and run without TPS since I have custom ignition anyway.
  • The wire bracket on the TDMR is on the left side, not in the middle and it will connect with the bracket for the left coil and possibly foul the wiring to the throttle. Might have to move the coil slightly out of the way.
  • Wire stops on the BDSR differs from earlier model so will need throttle wires from earlier TDM/BDST carb.
  • If I want to use an air box, I will need to get the older 96-98 model, the later rubbers won't fit the TDMR's.
  • Choke cable. Lower wire attached to carbs is OK, it's the hose for it that's too short with the carbs replaced so a custom will have to be made if I want to use the handle bar mounted choke.
  • Obviously, the coolant connections need to be plugged. But that's the same for all years.
  • Idle adjuster. Will need to set idle right because tank and airbox will have to be removed to access it. Unless I can fit the longer adjuster from the stock carbs and pull it out in the same place. Don't know if that's possible, but issue is same for all years so not unique.

Might find something more later. Have some promised work to do before I get back to this.

Attached Files

Edited by jpe70, 27 October 2023 - 05:53 pm.

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,226 posts

Posted 28 October 2023 - 08:41 am

Sure you'll get there Jan :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#18 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2023 - 04:33 pm

Sure you'll get there Jan :good:

No doubt, things already on order/being adapted. Just a list for myself and others should it need repeating.

#19 jpe70

jpe70

sticking around

• 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 04:36 pm

Baby steps... 

• The wire bracket on the TDMR is on the left side, not in the middle and it will connect with the bracket for the left coil and possibly foul the wiring to the throttle. Might have to move the coil slightly out of the way.
  • It's not the coil that's in the way. It's the frame bracket holding it and supporting the thermostat housing that extends to close to the carbs. Need to cut it shorter, and make a new holder for the housing that fits to the coil lower bolt instead of it's own fastener on the bracket.
  • Wire stops on the BDSR differs from earlier model so will need throttle wires from earlier TDM/BDST carb.
  • Fixed with a set of Motion Pro longer kit for Yamaha kind of throttle housing. Might be a bit long, but the fittings right.
  • Choke cable. Lower wire attached to carbs is OK, it's the hose for it that's too short with the carbs replaced so a custom will have to be made if I want to use the handle bar mounted choke.
  • Cut the stock wire in the carb end, replaced the stock outer with a custom made 227 mm long shell and fitted a screw on end to fit on the carb's choke slider. Works a treat with the stock parts from handlebar down. 

Attached Files

#20 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:29 am

:good:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users