6 replies to this topic

#1 yamahaha

yamahaha

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 25 June 2019 - 07:34 pm

Hello,

I would like to fit a gear indicator to my tdm. I have tried reading a couple of threads regarding the topic, but it seems that they mostly deal with later models.

Which gear indicator should I get, and how to install it.

Thanks in advance

#2 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:24 pm

Not much help, but I am about to fit one to my black Niner. I have one on my blue Niner and also on my Himalayan and I now realise how handy they are. I have the GiPro on the blue one but they are £105. I got good reports on one from Amazon for £35 so am going to give it a go. I'll let you know after the weekend how it is. Ali

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#3 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:48 am

I've done the home-made version from info on the world-famous JBX site and it works well.  Someone on here found a pre-wired indicator for use with the wired solution.  To get to the gear indicator sender you have to have the front sprocket off, so it's not a particularly quick job.  I'll edit this if I find the posts...

<edit> Here's the thread with some pics etc http://www.carpe-tdm...topic=35932&hl=

Edited by CaptainSlow, 26 June 2019 - 08:01 am.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#4 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:26 pm

I bought this one: https://www.ebay.com...18AAOSwd5xcfVC~

- but haven't tested it yet..... :unsure2:

Bjørge

#5 yamahaha

yamahaha

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 26 June 2019 - 01:17 pm

aha thanks for the replies. It does seem a bit fiddly to fit, but if you test your one Björge, I'm interested in the results :)

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:57 pm

I fitted a cheapie off eaby using the same principles as JBX (which is pretty straight forward to do). Only downside it was difficult to see in strong sunlight. I've bought an allegedly better one but haven't fitted yet.

#7 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 June 2019 - 07:35 pm

I've fitted a similar one to Bjorges' link a couple of years ago on a Vstrom, although fiddly and time consuming getting it right, it works fine to this day. I intend to put one on my 3vd on day using the gear shift selector rod inside the sprocket cover as the pick up for the magnets that ways its neater and hidden. The hardest bit is to get the installation hidden except for the display. One of the wires connects to the neutral switch and zero's the display using the switch signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users