• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Raa

Raa

discovering Carpe

• 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 August 2019 - 09:55 am

Apologies if this has already been discussed to death - if so, please send me the relevant link.

I'm generally enjoying my recently purchased 2011 TDM 900....but there is jerkiness around 2500-3000rpm which I am finding more and more irritating, especially in traffic. Having read about the airbox flap issue, I set about disconnecting the brown/black wire in the ECU (https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=AIR), only to discover that it had already been done! So it's not due to the airbox flap (i think). I have heard some say that changing the air filter can help - any recommendations for alternative filters, or other solutions? 

#2 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:42 pm

There are a million and one pages on this forum on this topic mate, and everyone has a different answer to the problem. Some suggest remapping the ECU, some say 'you'll just have to get used to it', and others say etc etc etc.

On my previous TDM900 it had a Power Commander fitted when I bought the bike, which I kept when I traded it in for a newer 900. So I fitted the PC to my new bike and it made the problem worse!

Now I ride it stock apart from the airbox mod (which was done when I bought it) and pay really careful attention to rear chain adjustment because at 50 to 60 mm it can cause very bad jerkiness. I keep it on 50 rather than any slacker and  find it does help.

I'm sure there will be lots of other suggestions to follow.....

Riggers.

#3 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:50 pm

On my previous TDM900 it had a Power Commander fitted when I bought the bike, which I kept when I traded it in for a newer 900. So I fitted the PC to my new bike and it made the problem worse!

On my 900, fitting a PC (and doing a Dyno run) cured the jerkiness. So, there you go...  :blink:  :dunno:

#4 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:33 pm

This is my 7th 900 recently purchased and the first where I have no jerking. No PC. 

Very Happy

Attached Files

#5 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:48 pm

I read somewhere on here that a k&n air filter can help a bit and experimenting with CO settings can also improve things. Dunno if that's true - my bike came with a k&n and runs fine at low revs. I suspect the previous owner did all the hard work in sorting it out. Lovely chap 🤗

#6 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 28 August 2019 - 03:57 pm

My 2002 900 has no jerkiness above 2000 rpm. Did the airbox mod, no real difference. AFAIK no other mods. Somewhat digital throttle al low speeds, but no problems driving smoothly.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#7 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,508 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 August 2019 - 06:37 pm

I did the airbox mod with pipe disconnection. Solution for me.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#8 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 10:30 pm

Airbox, k&n, chain adjustment, clutch and throttle adjustment, Powercommander and dyno and that’s all it needed! Perfect now.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#9 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:41 am

Blocked the vacuum pipe and completely removed the gubbins and vacuum actuator on top of the airbox.

Fitted a trim to the resultant hole.

tn_gallery_11876_358_667470.jpg

Changed the CO settings by the dashboard buttons.

Pootles from just below 2,000rpm no jerkiness.

2004 model.  Your 2011 might be different.

***You could try running without an air filter just to check effect.  JBX site shows his filter modification. https://www.tdm-yama...t.org/?page=FL9

***and let us know.

Edited by Hombre, 03 September 2019 - 09:51 am.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:45 am

Jerkiness is usually a little lower down. Other things to check are the CO settings and the throttle bodies. Assume you don't have aftermarket exhaust on it? As an interim measure, can you control it with the clutch? I have a device fitted to mine, cheaper than the power commander and you can set it up yourself.  But can't remember the name of it. Old age I guess.

Your bike might be a bit too new to benefit from the airbox mod. 

If you do your own maintenance I'd try balancing the throttle bodies first and tweek the CO settings. JBX has a very good site to help with things like this. https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=CS1

I remembered! I have a Dobeck techlusion to manage fuelling. Needs recalibrating again though.

Edited by TKH, 03 September 2019 - 04:35 pm.

#11 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:03 am

Hi

The low rpm jerkiness is the lambda sensor trying to correct the fuel mixture. below 6% throttle openings and I think 2000rpm, the engine runs in what is called closed loop configuration/mode. This mechanism relies on the O2 sensor( lambda sensor) to adjust the mixture to close as possible to stochiometric ( 14.64:1) however the lambda sensor fitted to ALL Yamaha models is a narrow band sensor and this just cycles alternately between rich and weak trying to find the idealised setting, this is what causes the jerkiness, Yamaha Tracer and MT09 are awful in this respect too  

All Yamahas suffer from this, but a big twin will the worst of all, funnily enough the MT01 doesn't have this problem. BUT they offer a re-flashed ecu as part of the tuning kit for these engines

The solution will NOT be a different air cleaner element , it will make it worse more than better, you can adjust the CO settings on your dash, which will make it slightly better, but these settings adjust the open loop part of the fuel map, NOT the closed loop part

the ultimate solution is to re-flash the ECU, I am chasing various people to see if it can be done in the UK. A power commander will sort out some of the fuelling problems, but nothing will be a s good a re-map

my bike is a 2011 model .

Howard

#12 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:40 am

This is what they are like. I fitted a Dobeck tfi 1025 controller to my 2013  , which helped somewhat but not enough to stop me selling the bike. I think you have to get used to it or preferably ride around the problem by riding positively with good open throttle control. If you ride by anticipating the jerkiness , eg by closed throttle on a roundabaout, I'm afraid that's what you will get.

#13 Oldgit59

Oldgit59

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 07:47 pm

This is my 7th 900 recently purchased and the first where I have no jerking. No PC. 

Very Happy

Do you know what is the setup such that it doesn't jerk?

#14 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:51 pm

Jerkiness is usually a little lower down. Other things to check are the CO settings and the throttle bodies. Assume you don't have aftermarket exhaust on it? As an interim measure, can you control it with the clutch? I have a device fitted to mine, cheaper than the power commander and you can set it up yourself.  But can't remember the name of it. Old age I guess.

Your bike might be a bit too new to benefit from the airbox mod. 

If you do your own maintenance I'd try balancing the throttle bodies first and tweek the CO settings. JBX has a very good site to help with things like this. https://www.tdm-yama...ex.php?page=CS1

I remembered! I have a Dobeck techlusion to manage fuelling. Needs recalibrating again though.

Do you know what is the setup such that it doesn't jerk?

I had the ECU re-flashed, it runs very well, extremely well actually. absolutely no jerkiness. the FI now runs as an open loop system reading its fuel data points from a map rather than the Lambda sensor "modifying" the fuel input at low throttle openings. The lambda sensor and its closed loop fuel injection is the root cause of low rpm jerkiness

There is a slight loss in part throttle fuel economy, as the bike now runs at around 0.98-1.05 lambda instead of the 1.10-1.20 previously. ( i.e. more fuel, same amount of air)  

cylinder engine

All Fuel injected engines tend to run weak part throttle fuel air ratios, it improves fuel economy and emissions, however on a twin ( with light-ish flywheels) it will tend to make it jerky. the trade off for smooth operation is decreased part throttle fuel economy.

it has all the usual air box mods, but I have dynoed all these before and after. fitting a K&N without adding more fuel will make it worse, much worse. a slight improvement in part throttle can be obtained from changing the FA ratios on the dash, this will NOT however change the fuel delivery when operating at anything more than tickover.

My bike will happily run around at 1500rpm in the higher gears without any problem.  

Samios Racing did the re-flash, Spiros who runs the firm is a great bloke, very knowledgeable

Howard

#15 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 03:44 pm

Interesting - I sent the Ecu from my 2010 model and he said he couldn’t do it

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#16 howardsmed

howardsmed

discovering Carpe

• 16 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 07:14 pm

only the NON abs ecu can be re-flashed

I had mine done over last winter, the results are as he advertises, very good. a few have had it done. part throttle performance is splendid, the only downside is a reduction in part throttle fuel economy.  

I will rectify this by removing the base gasket over the coming winter. this will decrease the squish clearance, increase the compression ratio (but only to what it should be) which will increase the economy. ( first law of thermodynamics)  

by next spring the bike will have been tuned to the parameters that it was designed to be. correct compression ratio and pressure, squish, valve seats etc.

we will see what it yields

Howard

#17 Alekre

Alekre

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:46 pm

It should have about 100hp with flashed ECU?

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 27 April 2020 - 06:43 pm

i doubt it will be as much as that at the back wheel.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:02 pm

Never... Not just with a flashed ECU.

#20 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:23 am

I've posted elsewhere that I've fitted a Booster Plug which enriches the mixture just off tick over. Unfortunately due to lock down I've not had chance to get out and give it a proper road test. I DID ride the bike around the block a few times and it does seem to be better but I don't know if that was just wishful thinking.

Once I've had a decent ride out I'll post the results up and let y'all know the outcome. If it works it's a cheaper option (£130)  than a PC, but if it doesn't it will be an expensive failure!

Riggers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users