• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#61 reaper78

reaper78

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 08 December 2010 - 12:48 pm

Hi guys, great forum. Lots of informative data and creative people here. Cool!

I'm a newbie, so here's some newbies questions, all regarding the rear shock. I'm riding a year 1998 TDM850.

1. What's the overall length of the rear shock, mounting point to mounting point?
2. What's the internal diameter of the top and bottom mounting points/holes?
3. What's the rear shock travel distance?

My stock rear shock is knackered. I have been sourcing for a cheaper alternative.

#62 Moose

Moose

Master Cake Baker

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 December 2010 - 02:23 pm

Not sure of the dimensions but cheapes replacement is a Hagon off the shelf about £275.00 IIRC
It comes up a little longer raising the rear end about 2" but they do one same size as stock if you ring them and request it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carpe-TDM.net - A place where everyone can have their cake and eat it!!!!!

TDM900/A 2007 Black, DL650 XTZ1200 Super Ten Handguards, Oxford Heated Grips, Double Bubble Screen, Fenda Extenda, Pipe Werx Oval Black SL Zorsts, R+G Crash Bungs, Mirror Extenders, Wilbers Rear Shock with Remote Hydraulic Preload, Wilbers Progressive Fork Springs, Scottoiler Touring Kit, Clear LED Rear Light Unit, Clear Indicators, PUIG Bellypan, V46 + 2 x E41 Keyless Luggage, Black Renthal 755 Medium Road Bars with Brace, 3 x 12v Accessory Socket, Beowolf Rad Guard.

TDM has moved on, i now own a Black 2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Without cake, we are merely just people who ride bikes

#63 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:28 pm

IIRC the length, hole centres is 300mm. The travel for the mk2 is 144mm, mk1 is 140mm and the id of the mounting holes is 12mm.

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 08 December 2010 - 05:29 pm.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#64 reaper78

reaper78

arrived on last train

• 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:22 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Thu 9th Dec 2010, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IIRC the length, hole centres is 300mm. The travel for the mk2 is 144mm, mk1 is 140mm and the id of the mounting holes is 12mm.

Thank you very much for this info. Much appreciated.

#65 Christian

Christian

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 57 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:03 pm

I've got a 93 TDM850, is the rear shock serviceable?

I serviced the fork already and the fork oil was more like fork grease... I guess the rear shock is the same, so wondering if it's serviceable?

thanks
Christian

#66 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:57 pm

Good question ! some peeps say it can't and others say it can. Of the couple of shops I emailed, both wanted to see the shock before they would say yes or no. Yamaha say it can't be serviced, replace the unit !

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#67 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:03 pm

I'm sure someone on here has posted in the past about getting one serviced by a company in Scotland but I can't find it in the searh

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#68 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:11 pm

QUOTE(JohnnyW @ Wed 30th Jul 2008, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a guy who stays just outside Glasgow who rebuilds the original shocks. His name is Hans and he used to work for the main Yamaha dealer in Glasgow, Ride On. He rebuilt the Hagon shock I got from Emmett. I'm sure he does mail order. Give him a call, his number is 0141 779 2335.

Johnny W

Tadaaah smile.gif

#69 Christian

Christian

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 57 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:19 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Fri 7th Jan 2011, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tadaaah smile.gif

Nice but .. I am in the USA

#70 vgygrwr

vgygrwr

discovering Carpe

• 11 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:18 am

Hi have read this thread and any other I can find on suspension. Thinking about what upgrades I can make to my 2007 900. Local Ohlins distributor recommends a YA 506 S46DR1 rather than sevicing the orginal shock. So anyone with any experience of this "lower" priced Ohlins shock especially compared to the Nitron sports shock. And how come postage is so high from UK to NZ GBP 95 to ship a shock.

#71 squonk

squonk

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:32 pm

QUOTE(stormy @ Wed 26th Mar 2008, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif
either two of you are midgets or the other one is deformed !!! how did you get a silver back into bike gear ?
QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Wed 26th Mar 2008, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
'It's not the size of the man in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the man.'He looks big to me.... maybe it's the angle.
either two of you are midgets or the other one is deformed !!! how did you get a silver back into bike gear ?

#72 Harry3699

Harry3699

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:02 pm

Hi all. I must give a shout out for YSS rear shocks. Only £249 from Bike Revival (a really helpful bunch) and if you look at the quality of construction it's a real cut above the budget Hagon type shocks. I put one on my 2001 850 and together with Hagon fork springs , 15 wt fork oil and dropped 20mm through the fork clamps (YSS shock slightly longer than stock so compensates for short arses like me and sharpens up steering) it really transformed the bike (cliche). Seriously after a razz with my mate and his fj1200 he couldn't believe how quickly the TDM could go. Though down on power you just never have to back off. rock steady everywhere. It always feels like the suspension is well outperforming the engine. (not saying much I know but still gives you a feeling of confidence). I'm just loving rocking my TDM everywhere now. And the North Yorkshire constabulary were so impressed they gave me five stickers to put on my licence! (true).
got to get some blue spots next.

#73 Bear66

Bear66

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:12 pm

Hi all TDM-ers I have had 4 TDM's in past 16 years and love them to bits .....I currently have a TDM 850cc (4TXL) the rear shock's dampner has blown a seal and need to get another shock .... Now my question is would a TDM 900cc rear shock fit a TDM 850cc as trying to get any info out of Yamaha Tech's is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard!!! ...... If not then do they use the 850cc shock on any other Yamaha??? .... I know there is a website that tells you that but cant bloody find it ..... If any of you guys can help me i would really appreciate it :)

#74 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:45 pm

:welcome: to da club !

Unfortunately, the 8fiddly shock is unique.

AJ Suttons is probably the site you can't bloody find. :) http://www.yamahasco...D=9584&m=YAMAHA TDM850&uid=0

#75 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:49 pm

Hello there and welcome. 9'er wont fit. MKI will. There has also been talk of someone being able to rebuild orig shock....and then some talk that they can't.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#76 Bear66

Bear66

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:00 pm

Thx guys and no AJ Suttons wasn't the site mate ...... There is a site on the web that if you put the part in it tells you what other bikes use the same part .....Just don't know where it is on the web is all lol

#77 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:08 pm

Suttons do do dat doh. :) Select the part and you'll see a list of other bikes the part is shared with on the right side of the page, usually towards the bottom of it.

#78 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:19 am

could try these

http://www.shock-fac...hocks-home.html

not used them myself, but mate of mine's got a new one from them fitted on his bird, he's very happy with it :good:

#79 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:25 am

Sminky !

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Damping is easily turnoandoffable, £350 all in AND that includes having a custom spring fitted if ya want wan. All TDM's catered for ! nice find ! :good:

#80 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:27 pm

Studley,

have you contacted them?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users