• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 strikemaster

strikemaster

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:15 pm

Thanks Graeme, the bike has never been that smooth, or economical, but seems better now. It only had 3000 miles on when I bought it so maybe it has been like that since the factory?

Now to find out how you balance the throttle bodies...

#42 palexxxx

palexxxx

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 53 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:00 am

I picked up my new TDM 900 today.  (2002 model - very dark blue)  and decided to check out the CO readings.

Cylinder 1 - 16

Cylinder 2 - 17

They are obviously too close to each other so eventually I will have to have them adjusted but first I want to ride the thing a bit so that I can get a baseline feel of the bike before any adjustments are made.  Also I want to adjust the CO readings in collaboration with an exhaust gas analyzer. 

Anyway,  happy as Larry with the purchase so far,  can't wait to take it for a decent ride to see how it goes.

#43 js1412

js1412

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:36 am

Very good results following this topic with my TDM900 2004 black 30000km .. K&N filter , baffles  out of stock mufflers  .  Yamaha dealer said they could not make the mixture richer ,  to aviod surging and snatchy throttle responses at low revs . I'm not sure what they do when tuning , but  possibly the CO and Co2 levels need to  above state regulations , and they don't want to go there ?

By the way , they suggested a Power Commander at $400 and tuning, dyno @ $400   ,   should help  .

I disconnected brown lead in the  ECU  , and this did not seem to make a lot of difference  .

My CO readings were    , c1 = 17 and c2 = 17 .  I adjusted to c1 = 28 and c2 = 28   , and I now  have a new bike ... not perfect but VG , and I will probably tinker a little more with setting in the 30 range . I am not a mechanic and use the dealers for servicing ( I now wonder Why? )

What has happened  : 

Very much improved low gear  rev smoothness 

Bike feels less jerky  , and has more smooth power through the gears .

Engine was running at 4000rpm in 6th gear at 100km/hr ... now 4000rpm is 110km/hr  ..amazing 

Engine was running hot in city  traffic and in the red ,  with the fan on regularly , ; runs much cooler now in traffic ;

On highway runs at bottom end of of temp range .

Fuel economy does not appear to have changed very much  ... was getting 420km from tank now is about 400km  ,  with mainly  highway & a bit of  city . 

Was considering changing bike and now don't have to .

Must say  , why could Yamaha or their  dealers  not sort this out  ,  a long time ago .

Good luck 

Grants

#44 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:45 pm

Good stuff but revs/speed change is impossible without changing the gearing  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#45 js1412

js1412

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:16 am

Possible  explanations for rpm  changes in 6th could be ( was actually comparing with 5th gear ..unlikely?) : comparing slight incline ,  up  run,  with downhill .. going the other way on regular ride ? .. fuel standard unleaded  91 instead of 98 ? .... hot day , with tyre pressures higher  36 and 42psi  ?

Any way , bike running a lot better  , ; will reply on any changes after next ride ,

#46 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:39 pm

Hi Guys
I have just put a deposit down on a 04 TDM 900 with 6500 miles on the clock. It has got blue pipes. I have yet to take it out for a test ride but I am now concerned about possible valve damage as it looks as if it has been running too hot. What should I ask Lings to do before I pay the balance, if anything, and is there anything I should look out for on the test ride. Do all TDM 900 have problems in the rain, after reading the threads on this site I am thinking, have I made the right choice of machine ;) !!!!!!

Thanks for your help

#47 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:21 pm

Hi Guys
I have just put a deposit down on a 04 TDM 900 with 6500 miles on the clock. It has got blue pipes. I have yet to take it out for a test ride but I am now concerned about possible valve damage as it looks as if it has been running too hot. What should I ask Lings to do before I pay the balance, if anything, and is there anything I should look out for on the test ride. Do all TDM 900 have problems in the rain, after reading the threads on this site I am thinking, have I made the right choice of machine ;) !!!!!!

Thanks for your help

There aren't too many problems with the TDM, just a few niggles. It's the most reliable bike I've owned bar none. The problems that they do have are well documented here and so are the solutions. Check with the dealer to see if the TPS unit has been changed. Out of curiosity how much is this 9er going for?

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#48 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:40 pm

At a guess I would think this one http://www.lingsused...hp?mod_01=49688

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#49 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:29 pm

Yes you are spot on Rallyist I am paying £3500. It is in great condition and I traded in my SV1000s as it is time to get comfy and a little slower.I will miss it though. Looking forward to the test ride and i think it will be on Friday if I can get away early enough. I will ask about TPS but they did say they check for outstanding recalls.

I will let you know how it went. Where does the temp gauge normally sit on a run as am concerned about the blue down pipes after reading about hot running.

Thanks for you help

W

#50 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:12 pm

blimey, I paid about the same for an 04 with similar mileage back in 2005.

That said, Admin will not be happy to see this thread go so OT.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#51 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:49 am

My first tdms battery went and as I tried to start it, it upset the edu resetting the cylinder's CO level, could be worth checking when you buy.

I've had 2 TDM900s, both with the blue look and never gave me any over heating probs in 50000 miles.

Edited by Catteeclan, 14 March 2014 - 06:50 am.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#52 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:40 pm

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

Just got home from my test ride. A totally different riding experience next to the SV  and a very deceptive motor. It changes the way I ride and I found myself swinging into bends rather than attacking them, felt really good. Very planted and felt sure footed when pushed in to sweeping bends. No pins and needles in my right wrist after an hour of riding and the motor felt relaxed but I had to keep checking my speed as it kept creeping up.

A great first impression but I have got  one concern. The bike was on its side stand (it has got a centre stand) and when I started it, the oil light did not go out. I started to ride it down the road  but stopped as the light was still on I went back to Lings and then it went out,  the oil level was said to fine by Lings but I have never had a bike where the light did not go almost as the motor started. 

Any Ideas?

Cheers

W

#53 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:14 pm

Its a level light not a pressure light and can be very iffy. :good:

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#54 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:07 am

Yeah, both of my TDM's do it especially in cold weather when first started.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#55 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:57 am

Thank you guys, it sounds like I don,t have too much to worry about. Looking forward to getting it next week.

W

#56 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:47 pm

Don't worry Lee can fix you up with a pressure switch, if you ask nicely!  :badgerrock:

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#57 Wimpy

Wimpy

seems to like Carpe

• 40 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:25 pm

Hello chaps

Still enjoying the TDM but I have a question if anyone can help. When the clutch engages with first gear it snatches and I am stuggleing  to get a smooth take off from a standing start. I have done the air box mod, and thats fine. Is it that first gear is long, or could it be the fueling and I neeed to have a look at the CO2 settings on the dash?

Cheers

Wimpy

#58 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:38 pm

worth having a look at what they are set to, they are usually never the same value both sides My bike was set to +6 left and +18 right. I have the sample screws in the exhaust and setting the bike up on a gas analyzer showed it was set very rich un-equally so they ended up at -6 +11 for the book CO setting. It made the bike a bit snatchy coming off overrun so I went to -1 + 16 which runs much better.

If you have small 6mm screws in the header pipes at the bottom you are in luck as this samples before the cat.

Later bikes don't have these. Use brass nipples and silicone sample pipes as these get very hot.

Edited by leehenty, 23 April 2014 - 07:44 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#59 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:47 pm

Also check the clutch lever free play.
The TDM is very sensitive to this. It needs to be 1 to 2mm with the bars straight.
The bang/jerk when engaging first gear is not unusual, both mine do it.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#60 tomekc

tomekc

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:48 am

Hiya

Did check mine co2 settings ( 2007 abs version), and found them to be C1 1 and C2 2, so i bump them up by 5 points each -waiting for good chance to test the new settings.

Ok tested, runs better but i am still tempted to go 5 points up, fuel consumption not affected -still does 200 miles before reserve

Edited by tomekc, 28 May 2015 - 07:14 pm.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users