• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ABurtchaell

ABurtchaell

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:53 am

Does anyone know if you can get the injection mapping updated to give a smoother throttle response at lower speeds/revs?

I've tried a booster plug and (I think) it has helped a bit but I still find the low speed throttle response too snappy!

I really like my TDM 900 in all other respects but it does spoil what is a great bike and I wanted to know if this can be fixed?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Cheers

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:13 am

You can have a remap, if the ECU is one of a small number of variants which allow it.

I had mine done and it improved the ride.

I believe the snappy throttle was improved with a feature of the remap called 'fuel cut-off inhibit'

With most injection systems, when you release the throttle to decelerate the fuel supply is cut off hard and the engine decelerates quickly causing lots of engine braking.. With carbs instead of injection, a small amount of fuel is still going into the engine which reduces engine braking a little

I felt (personal opinion) that the extreme engine braking and rapid fuel cut-off contributes to some of the snatchyness, particularly noticeable when going around roundabouts or large turns where you're trying to balance the throttle, the fuel cut-off effect made it difficult to find the 'right amount of throttle' as it switched between it's two states.

I keep toying with the idea of making something which could be retrofit to a bike to defeat the cut-off just to smooth out the transitions between both states b ut there's a lot of other things I mean to get a round to doing but don't seem to have the time for too !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 September 2021 - 06:31 am

Hello dare and welcome!!

Carbs?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 10 September 2021 - 09:06 am

Hello dare and welcome!!

Carbs?

Not unless he's converted it from FI Badger - 2006. This could be a long thread....................

Edited by dandywarhol, 10 September 2021 - 09:06 am.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 September 2021 - 12:17 pm

That's my point...carbs will git rid of his snatch.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 September 2021 - 01:57 pm

If there's some spare snatch................

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 September 2021 - 05:22 pm

A 9er rider with a snatch? I take it he took the pink knickers thing a bit too far then?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#8 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 10 September 2021 - 09:41 pm

Trust you !! 🙄🤣

Edited by Gdogg, 10 September 2021 - 09:41 pm.

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:31 pm

:rotflmmfao:

#10 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:37 pm

Enough silliness! First things to check are the clutch lever play, the throttle cable tension and the chain adjustment, sometimes just getting these right can help.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#11 ABurtchaell

ABurtchaell

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:45 am

Hi Fixitsan,

Can you tell me who you got to remap your ECU?

Mine is a 2006 version, so will need to see if mine can be done?

Thanks

#12 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 10:04 am

Hi Fixitsan,

Can you tell me who you got to remap your ECU?as a Greek company (I'm in the UK)

Mine is a 2006 version, so will need to see if mine can be done?

Thanks

It was done by Samios Motorsport. They have a page on Facebook as well as their company website.

You will need to take a photo of the ECU product label and send it to them when requested, they then look it up in the big book of ECUs to see if it can be reprogrammed. It cost about £250.

I let a few other people test it on their bikes and the opinion is that it doesn't seem to make very much more power or torque, but the limiters for torque in lower gears are removed, fuel cut-off is disabled, A few other bits and pieces are changed such as the temperature at which the fan kicks in is lowered too.

It just feels all around more rideable and 'complete' everything works together a bit better, IMHO

I have changed back to the original ECU a couple of times for comparison, the bike doesn't feel quite as quick with the original ECU, and it doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth. The remap doesn't necessarily cause much of an increase in fuel consumption and ridden carefully it isn't particularly noticeable

Where do you live ? If you're in Scotland I'm in Livingston and can  let you try it on your bike if you like. Or this week I'm in Peterborough until Thursday so i could bring it with me if you're close by and try it for yourself , It's a 5 minute swap once the side panel is removed

Edited by fixitsan, 12 September 2021 - 10:07 am.

#13 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:24 pm

Not sure if the 06 has an immobiliser, when I tried fixitsans Ecu on my 2010 model it wouldnt start. And Samios couldnt remap my Ecu.

Edited by chrisr, 12 September 2021 - 02:25 pm.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:30 pm

Not sure if the 06 has an immobiliser, when I tried fixitsans Ecu on my 2010 model it wouldnt start. And Samios couldnt remap my Ecu.

That's right, I forgot about us trying that out.

ABS is a deciding factor

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:34 pm

Hi Chrisr,  does yer 900 have ABS?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:48 pm

That's right, I forgot about us trying that out.

immobiliser/ECU is a deciding factor

#17 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 04:11 pm

Hi Chrisr,  does yer 900 have ABS?

No

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 06:31 pm

No

What about an immobiliser ?

#19 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,770 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 13 September 2021 - 07:47 pm

Immobiliser was standard fit across the board from 2004 my onwards Chris. To not have one it’d have to be a very old bike hanging around unsold.

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 September 2021 - 10:28 pm

Immobiliser was standard fit across the board from 2004 my onwards Chris. To not have one it’d have to be a very old bike hanging around unsold.

That's the 'kicker' as they say.

Mine is '04 reg but MY '02 so that's why it was probably easy to reprogram.

I think when I get the time I'ld like to make some sort of fuel-cut defeat device

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users