• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MAW

MAW

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 28 September 2019 - 03:32 pm

I have been experimenting some erratical behavior in my 2000 850 4TX6, since it is very specific I did not find (or search in the archives) an answer that could help me figure out what is happening, so apologies if this issue have been discussed before.

The bike had die on me a few times followed by a fast restart . At first I thought could be a bad connection problem some where in the wire loom but after a few times I guess I isolated the problem.

The bike dies during/after a hard pull on the throtle like when you want to overtake another vehicule or let somebody behind showing who is the boss  :rotflmmfao:, you know what I meant. Since she is rolling I just pull the clutch lever and hit the start bottom few time and she's back.

I also notice some kind of rouughness in iddle not sure is related to or I am paranoic by now.

The bike is 100% standard but an Akrapovick muffler installed a few years now without any problem before.

Any inputs will be highly appreciate

Thanks

Wish you health to enjoy your rides from the sunny lands of Venezuela

#2 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:02 pm

Fuel starvation?

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#3 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)

Posted 28 September 2019 - 05:21 pm

Possible fuel pump issue to me, ok normally as gravity will help but hard load the pump is maybe a restriction, how about changing the fuel filter first to check then look at pump.

Does the pump click for a while when first turnd on if it's been stood for a while?

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#4 MAW

MAW

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:30 pm

Fuel starvation?

I guess so

Does the pump click for a while when first turnd on if it's been stood for a while?

She does but not always as I can remember, in fact that situation intrige me a little, why the pump nock ramdonly. 
She is my daily drive

#5 MAW

MAW

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:35 pm

I will check up the fuel system and be back with what I found.

Thanks

#6 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:53 pm

Check the fuel tank breather pipe for blockage or pinched

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:44 pm

There is also a small gauze filter in the tee piece between the carbs

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 MAW

MAW

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:58 pm

There is also a small gauze filter in the tee piece between the carbs

I miss this one  :sorry:

#9 MAW

MAW

seems to like Carpe

• 46 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:30 pm

Finally got some time to work on my bike.

I disassemble the top (gas tank, air filter, fuel pump) and sadly I did not found anything particulary out of order, any way I checked all your suggestions and just in case I changed the gas filter that was in for a long time, fuel pump works O.K out of the bike although i did not perform any fuel pressure test.

I also verified all the lines were well with out any bends.

I took appart the gas cock  who showed an small leak (that explain a radom gas smell) cleaned and installed, blow the air filter with presurized air and put the whole thing back together.

I then decided to take a look to the sparks plugs and after spent much more time that I could ever thought was possible due to the gunk on the threads they were very hard to took off, but was a good idea because I found a missing piece of the porcelain that cover the electrode in one of the sparks (I do not want to think about what happened with it) so I changed them both, also found the sparks dark like burning rich (my guess the Akaprovich muffler) but since she is plenty of power  and responsive I decided not to mess with the carbs and in my favor the engine runs a little cool that way.

I went out to ride test and rapidly notice a better behavior at low RPM and no matter who hard I was on the throtle (down shifting following by a good punch of the throtle) she never dies on me, also did some dsitance over 170 Km/H just to see is there was any fuel starvation but she was runing strong and steady.

I can not tell for sure what I did or if I did something that corrects the problem I am not even sure if the problem if gone for good  but seems to be working well by know.

I will keep my eye on her and report any news, thanks for your help, time and suggestions. 

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:57 am

Well done.  Happy biking. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 October 2019 - 11:27 am

Glad you're sorted. Probably the combination of things that made the final difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users