38 replies to this topic

#21 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 October 2019 - 09:19 am

Need the top box unfortunately

I don't see why insurance would be bothered by that, and I think it would be down on their list of gripes with some of the things I've done

#22 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 October 2019 - 10:46 am

The hard part of coming up with a good solution is that the problem, IMHO, isn't really worth solving.

If it were, you'd have plenty of bikes that would easilly make 400 miles to the tank. In fact, your TDM has comparatively decent fuel range. The downside(s) of a really large tank would normally only be accepted when strictly neccesary, like when no gas stations present. 

Also, filling 2 tanks per pit stop is barely faster than 2 stops filling 1 tank, thus further reducing benefit. Especially if added only, say, a coupla gallons.

BTW, your consumption may seem a little high: If you claim 225 miles betwen fills, filling ~18 liter: ~56 MPG or somewhat 12% more than mine drink, seemingly commuting at ~same speed (I do 30kms in ~25 minutes).

So, in short:

- You will never, in reduced time needed for fuelling, save the amount of time to create a solution.

- Your bike will have poorer performance when topping up with extra fuel

- You won't get back a penny of the cost involved

Reducing consumption by some 30%, OTOH, would be a problem worth solving. Install an NC750 engine in your chassis and you'll be there :-)

Bjørge

#23 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:36 pm

I can do the mods I want to do, you can do the mods you want to do; I won't be asking you for any donations to my project

I received a response from Philip Weston and got the details of the place that made his fuel tank, I'll feedback when I get a response from them

#24 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 03:15 pm

I can do the mods I want to do, you can do the mods you want to do; I won't be asking you for any donations to my project

But yes, of course  :good: I won't ever interfere again  :P

Bjørge

#25 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:35 am

I guess he was just trying to help. No need to be rude...  :mellow:

#26 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:20 am

Try these, I don't know the company or anyone thats used them

https://www.fueltank...tank-expansion/

#27 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:00 am

I guess he was just trying to help. No need to be rude...  :mellow:

No sorry, I found **their post very rude - I am capable of thinking and don't need to be babysat through some simple maths. I'm not an idiot, and don't appreciate being treated like one

EDIT: **apologies for assuming gender, rectified

Try these, I don't know the company or anyone thats used them

https://www.fueltank...tank-expansion/

Many thanks, I'll shoot them a message today

Edited by jpor, 07 October 2019 - 09:29 am.

#28 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:07 am

No sorry, I found his post very rude - I am capable of thinking and don't need to be babysat through some simple maths. I'm not an idiot, and don't appreciate being treated like one

Wow.....  :blink:

#29 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:15 am

Wow.....  :blink:

Indeed.

#30 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:53 am

It seems we need a teddy throwing emoji...... :hide:

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#31 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:44 pm

Someone's going to have to explain to me why I'm the one in the wrong. I found the post incredibly condescending - and I don't actually think my response was at all rude - it was just abrupt. What i choose to spend my own time and money on is surely entirely my business.

I'm very grateful to everyone who made some great suggestions to solving what i still think is a very interesting problem. A problem that is very niche admittedly but is of interest to some.

#32 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:24 pm

No sorry, I found **their post very rude - I am capable of thinking and don't need to be babysat through some simple maths. I'm not an idiot, and don't appreciate being treated like one

EDIT: **apologies for assuming gender, rectified

Many thanks, I'll shoot them a message today

I'll try to explain, at the risk of getting slammed. :lol: To be fair, Bjorge was just offering his opinion.  And, to be fair to you, his opinions/thoughts are pretty direct. But, he doesn't intent to treat anyone like an idiot, or talk to fellow members in a condescending way.  Given that he's a Norwegian, his understanding of the subtleties and nuancies of the English language might not be as sharp as ours, at least that's how I've always viewed his posts.  We're all here to help and offer honest opinions.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#33 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:37 pm

I'll try to explain, at the risk of getting slammed. :lol: To be fair, Bjorge was just offering his opinion.  And, to be fair to you, his opinions/thoughts are pretty direct. But, he doesn't intent to treat anyone like an idiot, or talk to fellow members in a condescending way.  Given that he's a Norwegian, his understanding of the subtleties and nuancies of the English language might not be as sharp as ours, at least that's how I've always viewed his posts.  We're all here to help and offer honest opinions.

nail on the head. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#34 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:53 am

Well said.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#35 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:19 am

In retrospect, I kinda regret having posted this opinion. Because - when you don't know people you should be a little more careful about choosing words or even when rather shut up. Some people may appreciate an opinion like this but I also know that some don't. I even have friends that I would never talk to like that.

So, while I can't exactly say I understand his reaction (we're obviously very different personalities), I realise jumping into a thread like I did shooting from the hip isn't a good thing.

I'll try to be kinder  :sorry:

Bjørge

#36 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:42 am

Everyone gets soooo easily offended these days  :puke:

Maybe we should stop posting anything on the Internet, so no one gets offended....

#37 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:15 am

Everyone gets soooo easily offended these days  :puke:

I resent that!

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#38 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 08:29 am

There was a motorcycle journalist a few years back that had the tank of a CBR 600 expanded for the same reasons (commuting range). I recall he was happy with the result.

#39 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 October 2019 - 09:59 am

Expanding a fuel tank is easy, wait for it be nearly empty and open the cap with a fag on the go.
Many years ago a mate was siphoning fuel from an ar50 while smoking, it looked like a big sports bike tank afterwards, mind you the rest was totalled.....

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users