#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:14 pm

I knows lots of words both proper and not so proper but until yesterday my path had never crossed with the escutcheon.

This be the type what stops a cold draught through yer keyole in the winter.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:24 pm

Nah....everyday language to caretaking types....like trunions to you pirates ;)
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#3 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:25 pm

Aglet was a word that passed me by for many years despite being the owner of many.

Tis the little tube that stops the end of your shoelaces from fraying.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:31 pm

Also called long johns aren't they ? :P

'tis a word I am familiar with though having heard them mentioned on many an Antiques Roadshow type proggy on tv. Never heard of Aglet or Trunions. :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 June 2018 - 03:53 pm

Also called long johns aren't they ? :P

:Lolzio:
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:45 pm

That's what happens when you spend more time going fishing than going to school.

It's worth noticing this word is from French origin... say no more...  :lol:

Edited by JBX, 30 June 2018 - 05:46 pm.

top_640.png

#7 Hombre

Hombre

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:49 am

Escutcheon: the metal trim around a keyhole.
Spanish 'escuchar' means 'to listen'.
Seams reasonable to conclude that the Spanish invented the keyhole escutcheon.

<p>BSA C15T, Ducati 200 Elite, Villiers Cub Trials Bitsa, Ariel Huntmaster, AJS 650 CSR, Sunbeam S7, Suzuki 650 Katana, Honda 400-4, Bultaco 350 Sherpa, Cotton Minarelli, Fantic 303, Yamaha SRX 400, Yamaha 550 Virago, Kawasaki ZZR 1100,  Fantic 305, Yamaha TDM 850 '91, Yamaha TDM 900 '04.  Ducati 200 Elite (again and now completed restoration), Yamaha SRX-600

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:05 pm

dare are sum gr8 words that are not used enuf.   fer example,    intumescent

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 01 July 2018 - 02:20 pm

Escutcheon also electrikery switch

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#10 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 01 July 2018 - 06:09 pm

and around old car window winders etc

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:13 am

When talking about advanced names for little, strange things - or rather the opposite: Is there a name for the "thing you put under a hot kettle" (to save your table from damage) in English ? 

In Norwegian there is no established word for it....

Bjørge

#12 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:32 am

I love Carpe for these posts.

Bertie Wooster was "a blot on his family's escutcheon". That's being hanging around in the back of my brain for years without seeing the light of day. 

Found this on the t'internet:

"Escutcheon” is the heraldic term for the shield on which a family's coat of arms is painted. One with a blot, in the sense of blemish, would look as though there were something wrong, which is what The phrase is meant to convey. His crime was thus a metaphorical blot on the family escutcheon".

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#13 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 02 July 2018 - 08:54 am

That's what happens when you spend more time going fishing than going to school.

It's worth noticing this word is from French origin... say no more...  :lol:

Well, 66% of English language is from French, one way or another. Which in turn, is based heavily on Latin.  The rest is mostly Germanic with bits and pieces from everywhere else.  But did you know that there are more words in the English language from Australian Aboriginal languages than there are from Scotch Gaelic ?  Loch, whisky and Galore are the only ones that come to mind. Indeed, bloody Scotch gaelic ! spoken by 1% of the population of Scotland yet thousands of pounds are spent in dual-languaging…..(is that a word ?...it is now !)......road signs and even police cars recently. Even in the Scottish borders where gaelic hasn't been spoken for hundreds of years.

Whoops, that's nearly a rant coming on.....

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:14 am

When talking about advanced names for little, strange things - or rather the opposite: Is there a name for the "thing you put under a hot kettle" (to save your table from damage) in English ? 

Trivet.  Or simply a kettle stand. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#15 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:24 am

Trivet.  Or simply a kettle stand. :)

Oh, you lucky guys ! 

It was evident that Google Translate had no word for "trivet" when translating to Norwegian:

I put a trivet under the kettle => Jeg legger en trivet under kjelen  :lol: 

Bjørge

#16 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:51 am

Around here we'd call it a mat.

#17 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2018 - 09:51 am

Oh, you lucky guys ! 
It was evident that Google Translate had no word for "trivet" when translating to Norwegian:

I put a trivet under the kettle => Jeg legger en trivet under kjelen  :lol: 

"Setteunderlag for kjeler" or "trefot" were the closest I think

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:29 am

Well, 66% of English language is from French, one way or another. Which in turn, is based heavily on Latin.  The rest is mostly Germanic with bits and pieces from everywhere else.  But did you know that there are more words in the English language from Australian Aboriginal languages than there are from Scotch Gaelic ?  Loch, whisky and Galore are the only ones that come to mind. Indeed, bloody Scotch gaelic ! spoken by 1% of the population of Scotland yet thousands of pounds are spent in dual-languaging…..(is that a word ?...it is now !)......road signs and even police cars recently. Even in the Scottish borders where gaelic hasn't been spoken for hundreds of years.

Whoops, that's nearly a rant coming on.....

Spurtle !

I was talking recently to some friends of Scottish Independence pursuasions recently, who were adamant that they weren't British, but Scottish.

So I looked into the word Britain and it's roots, knowing that it was the Romans who called it Brittanica.....but they it turns out that they bastardised the word from Greek pretaniker, which is what the Greek explorer who first found our archipelago of 6000 islands called us in response to the question of who lived there (here in the British Isles), which was a  a few thousand years BC.....but then it turns out that Pretaniker isn't a natural Greek word and so is thought to be the celtic word for 'the painted ones'....given that we remain the most tattooed people in Europe.

So when I pointed out that to 'not be British' is to deny the use of the Celtic word for tattooed people when referring to themselves they just glazed over.............. and it was at that point I realised I had taken it too far ;)

Edited by fixitsan, 02 July 2018 - 11:37 am.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#19 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:23 pm

"Setteunderlag for kjeler" or "trefot" were the closest I think

...which are unknown to me....  :lol:

When I have discussed this with Nowegians, most reply "But that's easy, it's of course called XXXXX !" ....a lot of varieties, not consistent in areas...more inherited from family.  

Bjørge

#20 CrashTestDuffy

CrashTestDuffy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 124 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 02 July 2018 - 01:37 pm

...which are unknown to me....  :lol:

When I have discussed this with Nowegians, most reply "But that's easy, it's of course called XXXXX !" ....a lot of varieties, not consistent in areas...more inherited from family.  

"layer you put under the kettle" literally, and "three foot" a colloquial alternative as most trivets have three small feet underneath, my hairy Norwegian biker colleague informs me :-D

Edited by CrashTestDuffy, 02 July 2018 - 01:38 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users