• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 erank

erank

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 55 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:27 pm

So i did replace the oem bar to a 755, only had two short rides since so cant really tell, it does feel that i have less strain on my wrists.

However, cant say i don't feel vibration now that i'm without the bar end weights. in fact i felt more on my ride yesterday.

So, what king of bar ends can i use with the Renthal.

Also, did most of you guys that are using them also installed risers?

Thanks

Eran

Attached Files

• Attached File  bars.jpg   117.45KB   0 downloads

#2 Latestarter

Latestarter

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:31 pm

So i did replace the oem bar to a 755, only had two short rides since so cant really tell, it does feel that i have less strain on my wrists.

However, cant say i don't feel vibration now that i'm without the bar end weights. in fact i felt more on my ride yesterday.

So, what king of bar ends can i use with the Renthal.

Also, did most of you guys that are using them also installed risers?

Thanks

Eran

I used bar risers and have to say have got no vibration at all, so no need to use bar ends. Also I've got hand guards so not able too.

Chris

2003 TDM900 in Galaxy Blue with 32k on the clock

Scottolier, TDM Gel Saddle, Blue HEL Brake Line Upgrade Feeding Blue Spot Callipers. Air Intake Mod,

Oxford Heated Grips, Polisport Handguards, RM-G Crash bars & Centre Stand, Givi
Touring & Double Bubble Screens, Bar Risers, Renthal 755 Riser Bars,
Givi E22N Panniers & Top Box, Clear Indicator Lens Conversation, Clear LED Rear Light Conversion, Mirror Extenders, TDM Stainless Radiator Cover and Stainless Screen Screws, SP Performance Carbon Tri-Oval Cans,
HID Headlight Upgrade, DRL Spotlights and Still Spending But Dont Tell The Wife!!

#3 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:39 pm

No bar risers, seem to get vibration now and then, I use foam convex grips, £7 Fleabay, with oxford end weights (not as heavy as original spec) but I believe some peeps use bar end weights from the TRX which are heavier.

Attached File  Photo-0159.jpg   46.14KB   0 downloads

Edited by tediumwannabe, 04 October 2015 - 06:40 pm.

#4 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:43 pm

I really didn't notice any change in vibrations when I switched to the 755s.  I used the Renthal bar ends since they seem to be the only plug and play solution.  But they don't have much mass to them and don't do much to reduce the vibes (and they cost more than most).  I think the best solution is to tap the bars to accommodate OEM or similar bar ends.  I am not overly troubled by the vibes as they are now, but I think some nice heavy bar ends would be better. 

#5 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:22 am

If you haven't drilled the bars fill them with sand

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#6 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:42 am

Filled mine with silicone

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#7 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:20 am

........no wish to Hijack....but

do I understand that OE bar end weights won't work with Renthal bars....and is that simply because the OE bar ends are threaded, and the Renthals aren't?
......and also that, for some reason, is it not possible to fit hanguards?.......even if the weights are machined to accept them,
( can't remember if that applies to Super Ten. guards also )

........Jiff

#8 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:34 am

Renthals can be tapped so that original end weights fit, or other 13mm expander type bar ends can be fitted. No reason afaik handguards can't be fitted.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#9 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:37 pm

I had black Renthal 755's, and Renthal bar ends fitted to my bike today today.  I was going to do this job myself but I wanted to drill the bars rather than file off the studs and I wasn't confident of getting this right so got my local bike shop do it.

I sat on the bike and rolled the bars forward and back in the clamps to try to find the best fit before the mechanic did the drilling and tightened things up. I settled on a position with the bars rolled a little more forward than the stock bars, and this seemed to stop my wrists turning out, which hopefuly will reduce the numbness that creeps in currently after an hour or so on the bike.

It was pouring with rain when the job was finished so I rode the bike two miles straight home, and haven't had a chance to properly get the feel of the bars but my first impressions are - the handlebars seem to be the same height as the originals, without bar clamp extenders.  I'm leaning slightly more forward to reach the bars, the steering seems to be less neutral and requires a little more push/pull to initiate a turn, my arm/wrist is definitely in a straighter line than before. I like the black "stealth" look of the bars, it goes with the black cockpit surrounds, black frame, and various bits of black Givi scaffolding on the bike.  I don't like the Renthal bar ends, I've seen bigger nipples! (maybe I've just dreamt that).  When I saw the picture of the Renthal bar ends on the net I assumed they were simliar in size to the originals but they are a lot smaller.  They are only designed to plug the hole at the end of the bars, they don't provide any anti-vibration weighting - having said that I din't notice any extra vibration on my short ride home.

I hope to get a longer ride in later this week so will report back on whether I think the 755s are a success.

Attached Files

#10 TDrummer

TDrummer

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:36 pm

I really didn't notice any change in vibrations when I switched to the 755s.  I used the Renthal bar ends since they seem to be the only plug and play solution.  But they don't have much mass to them and don't do much to reduce the vibes (and they cost more than most).  I think the best solution is to tap the bars to accommodate OEM or similar bar ends.  I am not overly troubled by the vibes as they are now, but I think some nice heavy bar ends would be better. 

same setup, same results

#11 Phil McLaughlin

Phil McLaughlin

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:34 pm

i  found a pair of steel bar ends for £5 and these work fine with the cheapo chinese hand guards (after a bit of modding)

Ive got risers but could do with 10 mm further back i think

interesting idea with sand, might give that a go (less messy)

very pleased with the results though

#12 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 October 2015 - 05:02 pm

I had black Renthal 755's, and Renthal bar ends fitted to my bike today today.  I was going to do this job myself but I wanted to drill the bars rather than file off the studs and I wasn't confident of getting this right so got my local bike shop do it.

I sat on the bike and rolled the bars forward and back in the clamps to try to find the best fit before the mechanic did the drilling and tightened things up. I settled on a position with the bars rolled a little more forward than the stock bars, and this seemed to stop my wrists turning out, which hopefuly will reduce the numbness that creeps in currently after an hour or so on the bike.

It was pouring with rain when the job was finished so I rode the bike two miles straight home, and haven't had a chance to properly get the feel of the bars but my first impressions are - the handlebars seem to be the same height as the originals, without bar clamp extenders.  I'm leaning slightly more forward to reach the bars, the steering seems to be less neutral and requires a little more push/pull to initiate a turn, my arm/wrist is definitely in a straighter line than before. I like the black "stealth" look of the bars, it goes with the black cockpit surrounds, black frame, and various bits of black Givi scaffolding on the bike.  I don't like the Renthal bar ends, I've seen bigger nipples! (maybe I've just dreamt that).  When I saw the picture of the Renthal bar ends on the net I assumed they were simliar in size to the originals but they are a lot smaller.  They are only designed to plug the hole at the end of the bars, they don't provide any anti-vibration weighting - having said that I din't notice any extra vibration on my short ride home.

I hope to get a longer ride in later this week so will report back on whether I think the 755s are a success.

Had a 50 mile run around Harrogate, Boroughbride, Ripon, Pateley area today to give the new bars a proper try out. The main reason for changing the bars was to try to nullify the wrist ache I was getting with the originals and I'm pleased to say the Renthals are definitely more comfortable.  Although the 755s look very similar to the OE bars they seem to have significantly less "lay back" (I do have the bars rolled forward more in the clamps).   On my short ride home after the bars were fitted I thought I could feel some resistance from the bars when turning, but I was mistaken.  I think the resistance was just me feeling the bars turning into to corners because I'm leaning more forward and putting a bit more weight on the bars. This seems to enhance the feel of the ride through bends and I seem to be more engaged with the steering.

I still don't like the wimpy Renthal bar ends and I may change them but only to improve the looks, I don't think there is a need for any extra vibration damping.  Its difficult to tell if there's any more vibration, I'm not aware of any buzz until I look for it, and then I can tell there is something there but its not intrusive and I can't honestly say its any more than I had with the originals.

So overall Renthal 755s get the thumbs up from me 

#13 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:33 pm

Don't you mean "the numbs up"?  :good:

#14 richierex

richierex

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 166 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:39 pm

I used bar risers and have to say have got no vibration at all, so no need to use bar ends. Also I've got hand guards so not able too.

Chris

Actually you can use Renthal bar ends but it depends on which handguards you use. I used the Suzuki ones with Renthal bars and barends.

........no wish to Hijack....but

do I understand that OE bar end weights won't work with Renthal bars....and is that simply because the OE bar ends are threaded, and the Renthals aren't?
......and also that, for some reason, is it not possible to fit hanguards?.......even if the weights are machined to accept them,
( can't remember if that applies to Super Ten. guards also )

........Jiff

You can use Renthal bar ends with handguards. just needs a bit of thought.

Edited by richierex, 24 November 2015 - 07:42 pm.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:23 pm

for info the thread on the standard yam bar ends is M16 x 1.5.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:41 pm

So where do I go to get my Renthals tapped?

#17 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 03:56 pm

you turn up at a fettle day and the carpe mobile workshop does them for you

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#18 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:06 pm

Actually you can use Renthal bar ends but it depends on which handguards you use. I used the Suzuki ones with Renthal bars and barends.

You can use Renthal bar ends with handguards. just needs a bit of thought.

I use KTM hand guards and renthal bar ends. I have mounted them on the end of the "end" using the original renthal bolt.
They fit perfectly.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,093 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:32 pm

So where do I go to get my Renthals tapped?

Or take a trundle down to Rushden and we will do them there and then. it's much easier if the bars are off the bike as I can hold them in a 22mm collet chuck

#20 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:33 pm

Or take a trundle down to Rushden and we will do them there and then. it's much easier if the bars are off the bike as I can hold them in a 22mm collet chuck

Thanks for the offer, Mr Henty, Got a chap looking at them but if he says he can't do it (I'm expecting it cos everyone else has said it!) I'll be straight down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users