#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:06 pm

Whilst taking sireastwood's forks apart I noted that the damper rod cup is 33mm corner to corner in the 12 sided nut part across the diameter.

This means the nut needed to make a holding tool will have to be 28.5mm AF or 1.1/8" You might be able to get away with a 28mm af nut but it will be a looser fit.

A 3/4"UNF nut is the only one I can find this size. You will need to turn off the chamfered face to get a good tight fit either in a lathe or deftly with an angle grinder, then either get it welded to a rod or attached in some other way.
Making a sliding nylon top hat to fit the fork top threads snugly to protect them from whatever rod you are using and keep it centred might be a good idea.

Might help those of us who need to do our seals, but popping them out hydraulically worked very well.

I'm making one up to test on my bike, photo to follow.

Edited by leehenty, 08 July 2012 - 06:09 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:37 pm

Okay Lee i'm gonna have to buy an engineering dictionary to understand that lot laugh.gif
But good to know,,,,,,,,,,,, i think good.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 06:06 pm

QUOTE(dablik @ Sun 8th Jul 2012, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay Lee i'm gonna have to buy an engineering dictionary to understand that lot laugh.gif
But good to know,,,,,,,,,,,, i think good.gif

when you need your forks sorted I'll lend you the proper tool fer the job.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:38 pm

QUOTE(leehenty @ Sun 8th Jul 2012, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when you need your forks sorted I'll lend you the proper tool fer the job.

That's not a job i look forward too i can tell ya,,,, but thanks anyway good.gif

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:40 pm

Lee, I will cut 20 off 28.5 af 6mm thk 316 s/s plates this week, what size mounting hole were you thinking? 8.5 ok?
Pm your address and I'll send one out to you this week.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#6 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:14 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sun 8th Jul 2012, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lee, I will cut 20 off 28.5 af 6mm thk 316 s/s plates this week, what size mounting hole were you thinking? 8.5 ok?
Pm your address and I'll send one out to you this week.

pm sent ! many thanks.

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:18 pm

The Yamaha special tool is a 29mm hex.
This is required for 2004+ models.
2002-2003 models require a 19mm side square.

top_640.png

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,084 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:22 pm

QUOTE(JBX @ Mon 9th Jul 2012, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that.

#9 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:49 pm

Had mine apart just last week (02) and its a 29mm not a 19

#10 Chris B

Chris B

just half a litre to go

• 827 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:41 am

QUOTE(JBX @ Mon 9th Jul 2012, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My 2002 Niner used the 29mm hex, it only cost me about £12 from Yamaha I think.

02 TDM 900, Silver. 85k miles 

Givi Box + panniers, Baglux Cover, Baglux Bag, R&Gs, Remus Cans, PC3, Air Box Mod, DL handguards, Hel Hoses, Heated Grips, LED Lights on handguards, Scottoiler, Scorpion Rad guard, Top Sellerie Seat, Gear Indicator, Stebel Nautilus, Wilbers Rear Shock, MCT reworked forks.

#11 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:03 am

I indicated a 19mm square because it is easy to make from a 20mm square rod with one end trimmed down to 19mm.
Cost nearly nothing and works well in place of the 12£ one from Yamaha.

top_640.png

#12 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:14 pm

Anyone hep, whats a side square?,    "19mm square?"

I need to sort tools so I can replace seals on my 2002 niner

cheers steve

Edited by ramo, 05 June 2015 - 02:14 pm.

#13 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:03 pm

Steve, I have some of the parts you need.I'll send them if you want.
Would suggest though that the seals don't need replacing. Unless the fork legs are damaged is unlikely that the seals have been damaged, it's more likely that the lip has turned or a small piece of dirt in there.
I have never had to replace a seal through wear.
They can be easily cleaned out and I have had great results by using a seal saver.
EBay item
Try it, you'll save yourself a load of hassle and money and time,takes about ten minutes to do both seals.

#14 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:32 pm

thanks for the reply CB,

buuuut its in a bit of a state, mixture of white gunge, rust oil, water

I would like to see whats going on in there,

think you're right about damaged though :good: , I tried cleaning out seemed to be a lot of crud/debris between the dust and oil seal,

anyway bought the bits now, the bike turned 30K last weekend, so these things need keeping on top of, 

I'll feel better knowing the oil's been changed and they've had a good fettle  :rotflmmfao:

what bits are you referring to CB?

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:39 pm

Bout time ya sorted them out Steve  :P

#16 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 05:11 pm

"My 2002 Niner used the 29mm hex, it only cost me about £12 from Yamaha I think"

just read this from chris b regarding the tool,

I'll pay the yam dealer a visit in the morning as I want to get this sorted asap  :good: 

CB just  in case, will a hex nut that measures 28.5 or 29 mm fixed to a T bar do the trick?   :rolleyes: 

Edited by ramo, 05 June 2015 - 09:16 pm.

#17 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:32 pm

Yam dealers out, £35 + just for then end bit,

will look for nuts that may fit on ebay,

thanks for the replies  :good:

#18 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:36 pm

I'll send you a hex plate the right size if you pm me your address

#19 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,177 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:21 pm

top man CB  :good:

#20 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:41 pm

For the information of anyone within range of Sunny Blackpool. I have a damper rod tool which I had made a couple of years ago.
It is available to borrow with a suitable donation to Carpe.
Just pm me for further info.
I also have a tool for adjusting headstock bearings available on the same basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users