#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:32 pm

I've made two fork tools for the 900 using the cut hex plates very kindly supplied by Celticbiker.

The black one with the 'T' handle which is demountable for posting in a tube, is hollow tubed for most of it's length to reduce the weight with solid welded ends.

This one will be the 'loaner' for members of the forum to borrow.

The other 1/2" sq drive version is mine made from solid rod for the workshop.

The white plastic bits are to protect the fine threads at the top of the tube from damage and keep things square.

Posted Image

Edited by leehenty, 15 October 2012 - 07:33 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:38 pm

I can see the list starting now...
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:40 pm

If we make a list the member borrowing it can post on to the next member who needs it. Will save postage costs. I have good sturdy tube for it to go in.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:51 pm

Your a star Lee. I'll be on the list next time the fork oil needs changing.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:58 am

Nice job Lee,, that's gonna save peeps a lot of ball ache i reckon,,,,, did you make the plastic bits to size an all or buy them as is !!!!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:19 am

Nice work Lee. Can I get my name on the list, I'm convinced I've got a slight leak from the washer on the bottom on one of my forks so intend to change the oil and replace the washers.

Chris, you don't need this to change the oil, only if you're doing the bushes.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:52 pm

Dablik:
I turned them down from some spare acetal parts I made for a food company to fit some sort of seal in an automatic cooking machine. It made doughnuts or something like them IIRC.
These were the prototype centre plugs left over, so I pressed them into use for a more noble cause.
They were originally turned from 50mm white acetal bar.
Waste not, want not, I have a shed full of off cuts and extra bits of this and that which comes in very handy now and again.
Chris G:
I have the thick 10.5mm x 1.5mm copper washers needed for the bottom of the fork. I'll send a pair with the tool when you are ready for it.

#8 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• 1,044 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:44 pm

Really nice work Lee and great support for members of this forum - you're a star :)
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:06 pm

Gotta help keep the TDM's on the road we have had too many defect to 'lesser' machinery already.
Been under a VW camper van today fixing bust handbrake rods, in time for the bus to go to France
tomorrow to fetch my wine rations :drinks:
There has been some frantic desperate machining going on... :evillaff:
All fixed ready to roll tomorrow, amazing what can be done if the incentive is great enough. :P

BTW, I got a 19mm square one for earlier bikes in the pipeline if I can get me bit of 19mm bar back off me dad.
He borrowed it to saw a couple of inches off it for a keyway months ago, haven't seen it since, the thieving auld booger.

Edited by leehenty, 16 October 2012 - 08:29 pm.

#10 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:06 pm

Chris, you don't need this to change the oil, only if you're doing the bushes.

Yes, I figure next oil change they'll be at over 60k miles so will probably need a thorough overhaul. I also want to get to the bottom of my sticking fork problem.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:04 pm

Lee....Any chance of the dimensions of the Hex at the bottom, Dia/Length of round bar, and the dimensions of the plastic Mandrel as well, I could make one of these for the Members of the forum "oop North" for the same purpose :good: Whilst I still have the facilities to do so...........I'm being made redundant between now and next November! So all these type of projects are now being made in earnest :cool:

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#12 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:24 pm

ok, for a 900, rod is 550mm, hex is 28.5mm AF, celticbiker kindly made these for me, but a 3/4" UNF bolt head works as its same dimension. If using a bolt turn down the head to get rid of the bevelled edges for a deeper fit in the damper rod. Find some way to fix it to the rod weld, pins, screws, rivet etc.
Plastic bit has to be 38mm dia to fit snugly inside fork tube, the top dia can be pretty much anything just to stop it falling down the fork tube.
The hole through the plastic must match whatever rod you are using plus say 0.1mm to allow it to slide freely. I used 14mm tube for one and 12mm solid rod for the other, whatever was to hand. Most drills drill slightly oversize so it should just work.
The plastic bit can be acetal, nylon, polyurethane, or even alloy, whatever is available, I used some left over acetal from another job.

when you leave smuggle a lathe out in bits in your lunchbox, reassemble at home later :)

Edited by leehenty, 16 October 2012 - 10:28 pm.

#13 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:36 pm

ok, for a 900, rod is 550mm, hex is 28.5mm AF, celticbiker kindly made these for me, but a 3/4" UNF bolt head works as its same dimension. If using a bolt turn down the head to get rid of the bevelled edges for a deeper fit in the damper rod. Find some way to fix it to the rod weld, pins, screws, rivet etc.
Plastic bit has to be 38mm dia to fit snugly inside fork tube, the top dia can be pretty much anything just to stop it falling down the fork tube.
The hole through the plastic must match whatever rod you are using plus say 0.1mm to allow it to slide freely. I used 14mm tube for one and 12mm solid rod for the other, whatever was to hand. Most drills drill slightly oversize so it should just work.
The plastic bit can be acetal, nylon, polyurethane, or even alloy, whatever is available, I used some left over acetal from another job.

when you leave smuggle a lathe out in bits in your lunchbox, reassemble at home later :)

I had thought of that..........But it's a "Ward" No7 circa 193-something, overhauled in 1978 and it's 4ft between centre's.......just a tad to big for the lunchbox! :P

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:36 pm

Turn yourself a set of fork seal tools too, one to push the top bush and a stepped one for the seal. A plastic lined 43mm slide hammer will complete the job. Whilst you have the facilities.....

The boss might want to know why you are working all night and weekends and where his stash of materials has gone though :)

Edited by leehenty, 17 October 2012 - 12:36 pm.

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:49 pm

Chris G:
I have the thick 10.5mm x 1.5mm copper washers needed for the bottom of the fork. I'll send a pair with the tool when you are ready for it.

Damn you're good. :drinks:

Probably going to be a couple of weeks time (3/4 Nov) before I've got a free weekend to do it. Anyone need it before then?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 3vd

3vd

PM Sent

• 2,665 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:14 pm

Nice work ;)

#17 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:48 pm

Anyone stuck for a tool can jamb a brush handle down onto the hex and remove the allen screw with a high torque cordless drill/ratchet - worked every time for me so far.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#18 OldGit

OldGit

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:00 pm

Great Work Lee, can I be on the list for Dec / Jan / Feb please. I have the RHS seal gone, and both legs could do with re-chroming, I was gonna send them to these guys http://www.pittedforks.co.uk/price.php £156 a pair if they are stripped £250 if not...
obviiously happy to pay postage / leave a deposit / donate to charity for this

Thanks

Nick
Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:17 pm

Nick you are on the list after Chris G.

#20 fatchap

fatchap

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • Location:Sunny Blackpool The FORMER home of Premier League Football

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:29 pm

Well done Lee,

Unfortunately, you're 2 weeks late. I have been struggling for 2 weeks to undo the bugger and finaly did it with a broomhandle! (ooh Mrs)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users