• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:46 am

Put simply (& apologies if this is covered elsewhere) - are there any real mechanical differences between the first and last models of 900s? 

I'm more than happy with my 02 but shortly it won't be allowed into London's ULEZ zone without a charge (different topic, don't get me started...) which made me look more closely at a later model. 

My old man used to say 'always buy the last of an old model as the faults will be ironed out by then' so apart from known issues such as ECU, camchain tensioner, TPS etc (http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=ISS) and the addition of a wired-in immobiliser and ABS; are the outgoing models significantly different or better than the early ones? 

Even Yamaha's own page: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/about-bikes/sport-touring/index.aspx?view=article&id=442659&segment=&archive=false&page=2 is littered with inaccuracies - it shows my 02 as having a 190 rear tyre...it doesn't. On the plus side mine does apparently make 0.6hp more than the outgoing one. Oooh! 

"To do is to be." - Socrates.
"To be is to do" - Immanuel Kant.
"Do be do be do" – Frank Sinatra

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:33 pm

You forgot longer exhausts on the newerer models, post 04 me thinks, think you may have covered it mostly, sure somebody knows more the, Mint Jelly man will for certain.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 June 2018 - 12:33 pm

http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=HST

Scroll halfway down to TDM 900 evolution.

One thing it doesn't mention, is that in 2007 - together with the EURO3 compliance - it also got a remapped ECU, which improved low speed judder (often tried solved with the 'air-flap intake mod' on earlier models).

#4 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 01:47 pm

One thing it doesn't mention, is that in 2007 - together with the EURO3 compliance - it also got a remapped ECU, which improved low speed judder (often tried solved with the 'air-flap intake mod' on earlier models).

Thanks, another JBX page I'd missed...it's like the gift that keeps on giving.

Be interested to hear real life experiences of old vs new models and whether they're worth trading up for. 

Edited by Gowza, 08 June 2018 - 01:49 pm.

#5 thelodger

thelodger

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:25 pm

FYI I have a 2010 model so one of the last ( registered  in 2013 )  .  It was very judderey when i bought it but it is mostly ok now as the airbox mod was effective ( up to a point ).  So buying a newer model isn't necessarily going to cure all the problems

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 June 2018 - 06:37 pm

The seat got changed a bit at some point, I find my 2009 more comfortable than earlier ones.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:38 pm

It's mentioned on the Airbox flap mod page : http://www.tdm-yamah...ex.php?page=AIR

top_640.png

#8 AliG

AliG

has been here 4ever

• 1,444 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:42 pm

I've got a 2003 and a 2012 niner and the only difference I notice is that the new one is slightly smoother. That said, it only has 13000 miles whilst the old one has 63000. I only bought the new one because I am so happy with the model and don't envisage changing in the forseeable future. The old one sailed through its MOT today.

2004 900 - Blue with lots of goodies

2012 900 - Still adding shiny bits. Was black, changed to white and now back to black again.

#9 Gowza

Gowza

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 09:13 pm

I only bought the new one because I am so happy with the model and don't envisage changing in the forseeable future. 

That's totally my sentiment though mine doesn't have much more mileage than your 12 model so it's not exactly worn out. I've also had it since it was still in short trousers so know it's history.   

A slightly more comfy seat wouldn't go amiss (on long journeys I feel like I want to slide my bum back by an inch or two, not back and upwards as I have to do) but to be fair it ain't that bad - I've ridden far worse. Likewise the vibes, after a Guzzi these are smoother than a mink's muff (even with the timing out on the camshaft..)

I'm slowly working through the niggles (modified camchain tensioner arrived today), so that leaves me working out whether better low speed judder & throttle response (def like that), potentially less vibes (meh), ability to go into central London (handy) is worth a £2 - £2.5k hit and sod all garage space until I've got rid of my 02 one. 

Thanks for the insights guys, keep them coming! 

#10 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:28 pm

I have (until tomorrow) a 2004 with 56,000 miles and a 2013 with 3,000 which is its replacement, the 04 is much smoother, less vibey and will trundle along with no low speed surging and ticks over with a steady rpm. I have had it 8 years and will be very sorry to see it go, but it’s going to a good home. The new one will be sorted.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 900, old, new, improved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users