5 replies to this topic

#1 Scrambler1966

Scrambler1966

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:10 pm

Hello all,

Recently some nasty little oiks made a ham-fisted attempt to walk off with my TDM, got about 300 metres and left it.

However they made a foolish attempt to hot-wire it by cutting all the wires under the ignition barrel and twisting them all together.

I'm thankful to have the bike back with no damage to bodywork etc and I have had a friend of mine, Ben, who is an automotive electrical engineer replacing wiring and running through everything.  Having eliminated everything else it appears that the problem is with the starter circuit cut-off relay as it won't register that the side stand at all on the diagnostics (20 on only).

Long and short is I think the only thing to try is replacing the relay but firstly they seem to be pretty hard to get hold of and a reasonable cost and when Ben and I looked at the wiring diagrams, years 2003 onwards all seem to be slightly different.

Any advice on whether they can be used generically or if anyone knows where I can get one for a 2003 TDM 900 would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for such a great forum btw

David 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:08 pm

Hi and welcome David.  Sorry to hear about the attempted theft.  Sure someone will be along shortly to help you get the info you need.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:20 pm

Get the 2003 wiring diagram, you'll notice that when you short-circuit all the main switch wires, this sends +12V  to the L/Y wire on the starting circuit cut-off relay.

If the sidestand switch is closed (sidestand up), the diode (red circle) is shorted to the ground and will be destroyed.

The sidestand switch will then become unreadable and the ECU will assume the sidestand is down and will cut the engine as soon as a gear is engaged.

0000.gif

(12) starting circuit cut-off relay set

(13) sidestand switch

You may replace this diode by a 1N4001 or above, it costs nearly nothing.

This is an inside view of the starting circuit cut-off relay :

Platine%20Oberseite.JPG

You may consider having this issue is a design error, this is not the case.

It was designed like that so when all the main switch wires are short-circuited, it blows the sidestand diode.

This is actually the last chance that your bike does not fly away.

Edited by JBX, 08 June 2018 - 08:34 pm.

top_640.png

#4 Scrambler1966

Scrambler1966

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:32 pm

Thanks for the reply,

Ben has in fact had to replace 2 diodes on the relay, both of which were blown but still the bike registers the 20 ON diagnostic, even in neutral with the side stand both up and down, meaning the bike still won't start.

David

Attached Files

#5 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:01 am

Then maybe there is an ECU failure on the sidestand sensor input.

Locate the 3 pins alarm connector under the seat.

Add a wire on the small wire loop and connect it to the chassis (connect both top pins to the chassis)

In case Diag #20 still fails and the engine don't start then the ECU is probably damaged.

top_640.png

#6 MArk2

MArk2

seems to like Carpe

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 February 2023 - 07:20 pm

Thanks for the reply,

Ben has in fact had to replace 2 diodes on the relay, both of which were blown but still the bike registers the 20 ON diagnostic, even in neutral with the side stand both up and down, meaning the bike still won't start.

David         Anyone know how to find  and identify   this relay.    Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users