#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:01 pm

Anyone have a source for starter motor oil seals, will change the brush/brushes while it's out and is it one or two of em, got oil collecting on the bottom of the starter and assume an oil seal has gone west.

Fowlers are getting really ridiculous on price...

Am assuming it's just #14 or wil i need to replace the silly money seals #13 x 2 as well ??

Edited by dablik, 09 June 2018 - 03:23 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:38 pm

Kedo looks to have them.  http://www.kedo.com/...ucts/27419.html

The o ring is about the same price on ebay as fowlups and Kedo.  The 2 gaskets are cheaper at Kedo but I don't know if you need them really, They're there to stop crap getting inside.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:48 pm

Cheers mucka, the smaller o'ring is cheaper from Fowlers it's mainly the larger gaskets which are stupid money, perhaps i should pull the starter 1st and see if they need replacing, also i wonder if the smaller one is a generic size as i have a box of o'rings, if needed though Kedo gaskets are a much better price, still silly money though.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:49 pm

Yeah but no but.... Wow o rings got expensive.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:54 pm

Yeah, and another £3 postage on top. :rolleyes:

Prolly get a generic wan in a kit eh.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:06 am

Anyone have a source for starter motor oil seals, will change the brush/brushes while it's out and is it one or two of em, got oil collecting on the bottom of the starter and assume an oil seal has gone west.

Fowlers are getting really ridiculous on price...

Am assuming it's just #14 or wil i need to replace the silly money seals #13 x 2 as well ??

Hi Dablik, just done the job myself.

Only regreased the bearings, the #13's where oke, just grease them with siliconegrease (used for water taps) or waterproof grease like bellray.

The brushes measured like new after 115.000km :good:

Measured the old o-ring just now: it's 24mm inside and 3mm diameter.

So any a bit thicker will do as far as I can tell.

A standard 23,5mm - 3,5mm will fit with a generous amount of waterproof grease ;)

Edited by PeterM91, 10 June 2018 - 09:07 am.

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:44 am

Peter that's great info thank you :good: have silicone grease which i use on rubber or i use red rubber grease, mines a mk1 but the starters have the same part number, which means i can use those measurements, very good matey, let's see if i cant get this done today..

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:01 pm

Fookin typical eh, shaft oil seal looks snickety boo but the gasket seals x 2 are boogered, streched to the point that they protrude once fitted back on, these oring/gaskets have a flat grooved profile on one side, similar to caliper dust seals, i mean how important is that profile ?? from kedo they cost 27 Euro's :huh: :huh: and it's not really clear if it's actually 1 or 2 provided, bloody hell...

On the plus side the brushes (x 4) have a ton of meat left on them at 12mm, specs are max 12.5 and min 5mm..

Oring cord kit looks promising...

Which leads me on to the reason i took it out, had oil dribbled and collected on the underside of the starter but shaft seal is good, so either alternator cover recently replaced is fubar (dont think so) or the main shaft oil seal is fubar, which would obviously fix me oil consumption problem daps :D :D

Or i truly have bought a fookin lemon...

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:21 pm

It's Def that oil seal using 1litre per 1000 moiles dabbers. :Hrumph:

Get yet tangs aligned and the boike will be golden.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:30 pm

:lol:

The dust seals on my old mk1 starter motor were also a bit floppy but I managed to get 'em back in with a bit of jiggerypokery. 

#11 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:07 pm

:lol:

The dust seals on my old mk1 starter motor were also a bit floppy but I managed to get 'em back in with a bit of jiggerypokery. 

Oi have a plan in place for them thar dust seals, snip snip and a bit of supper glue and a nice bead of 5990 should keep the shoite out, i point blank refuse to pay such stupid money for a likkle bit of stringy rubber.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:11 pm

:good:

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:52 pm

Mission accomplished with jiggery pokery and no 5590, snipped a different oring and super glue will bond it good, needs a nice sharp cut though..

So Yamahasan stick that in ya sock :)

#14 PeterM91

PeterM91

seems to like Carpe

• 70 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:14 pm

Fookin typical eh, shaft oil seal looks snickety boo but the gasket seals x 2 are boogered, streched to the point that they protrude once fitted back on, these oring/gaskets have a flat grooved profile on one side, similar to caliper dust seals, i mean how important is that profile ?? from kedo they cost 27 Euro's :huh: :huh: and it's not really clear if it's actually 1 or 2 provided, bloody hell...

It sometimes helps to put the rubber in boiling water. It softens the rubber and often it gets back in original shape.

An other wonder oil in these cases is this: sikaflex 252 or 221

#15 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:52 pm

Did that already Peter but i think these are 25 years old looking at them, got them back in situ anyway now, yep i need to see my good mate Dave for a supply of Sikaflex, great stuff, i used it on my carb rubber mod, also need some to seal a mirror :good:

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:04 pm

Good job Dabbers.  Any nearer to finding the oil leak ? 

#17 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:25 pm

Good job Dabbers.  Any nearer to finding the oil leak ? 

No not yet, funny thing is, before our expedition when i found an oil film on the bottom of the starter i wiped it off, not a film onnit today when i took the starter out sooo thas got me thinking somewhat, i normally have  one or two drops on the floor after a run so nothing significant but, may indicate main shaft oil seal !! sure i want to faff with it this year and to be honest cant see it being the reason for using the max amount of oil, heh ho you know what will happen :) could be the starter motor shaft seal even though it looks okay.

#18 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:23 pm

O rings tend to be generic sizes in either metric or imperial. A £5 box of o rings from ALDI covers a lot!

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#19 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:48 am

O rings tend to be generic sizes in either metric or imperial. A £5 box of o rings from ALDI covers a lot!

Yup got the Aldi box, sizes are marginally different but should pass me thinks..

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:15 pm

More joy :huh:

After quite a bit of boogering with the thing finally got the starter back in, seems to me the undercarriage of the bike impedes the earth connection to the starter so lining it up square is a right faff about, anyhoo all bolted up and no starty now, click is all i get, shorted the terminals on the starter relay and it's good, battery is at 12.77v so should fire up, bike wont crank at all so i'm wondering if the starter is actually aligned properley on the starter gear now, had to use a little persuasion to locate it.

That'll be another lost weekend then as it's pissin down tomorrow, the desire for biking is dwindling by the week, Spain is out as the bike's just not reliable and before any smart arse (Mick) suggests buying another bike, send some money along with the suggestion please :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users