dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:05 pm

QUOTE(vicens66 @ Wed 28th Oct 2009, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif Done the cam chain swap tonight and i had problem to find tdc,look like I find tdc before reaching the T mark. Done any way ,when i remove the old I hear a noise(probably the chain jumping).
Put the new one and if I could see the T mark on the other side unsure.gif gone it was i fuckup.
Turn the engine by hand; no noise no resistance .Fire the motor sound sweet no more horrible noise.
when for a ride and realise got a loss of power between 4000/5500 rpm.
Got 2 questions lads.

1: Did the cam chain jump?

2: When you take the generator cover off ,i find oil behind it(19 mm bolt was cover in oil) ?

Any response .thanks
excl.gif excl.gif

These engines will run with the timing out by 3 teeth without touching a piston.......................................symptoms are power loss!

The exhaust cam position can be determined by removing the cylinder identification sensor in the front of the head - there's a casting on the cam which lines up with this.
There's a post I put on here I put up some time ago of the method to find TDC on the left cylinder

http://www.carpe-tdm...mp;hl=cam chain

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#62 vicens66

vicens66

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:27 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Thu 29th Oct 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These engines will run with the timing out by 3 teeth without touching a piston.......................................symptoms are power loss!

The exhaust cam position can be determined by removing the cylinder identification sensor in the front of the head - there's a casting on the cam which lines up with this.
There's a post I put on here I put up some time ago of the method to find TDC on the left cylinder

http://www.carpe-tdm...mp;hl=cam chain

Shoud find that post early .I sure my timing was out already by (T MARK was not in line )1 teeh and i make worse when i remove the tensioner .

But what about the oil i find in the generator ,after looking at the pictures looklike its all dry inside the casting.

#63 danbara

danbara

seems to like Carpe

• 73 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:09 pm

It is time for me to change tensioner on mine MkI. all -in-all the procedure should be the same.

it scared the crap out of me when the noise started so I stopped right away. i noticed power loss and noise so i checked valve clearance and the exhaust valves are to tight and the chain is slapy.

anything special that I need to know before I do this change since it is MKI? any guess is welcome!

#64 peve

peve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 181 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 May 2010 - 10:28 am

Hi all.

Did change my tensione about 500 km ago.

Much better sound in the motor, the horrible one is gone.
No powerloss at any rev, gain if anything.
BUT > there is always a but, i feel like the motor is harder now. There is a little shake that was not before and starts at about 2500. Could it be that it has slipped 1 tooth or is this normal after the change ohmy.gif

Pétur

Tdm 900 and Labrador.
Can it get any better.
Dont think so.

#65 Guest_Cozzy_*

Guest_Cozzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:36 pm

I've gone pass 48k km and it still has old tensioner. No idea if it's making any chain noise cos I'm stone deaf!!! Nevertheless, I'm going to replace the tensioner anyway whether there's noise or not so I'd need to find place that sells spare parts. Trawling through the threads I've come across three sources:

Fowlers
Wemoto
Bizforbikes

None of above has parts listed online so I've fired email to each above for all inclusive price incl. p&p to Ireland for both tensioner & gasket items. Still waiting for response...

Is there any other places I can check/order? Might be a good idea to list the sources for others to look up and order from.

How much did any of you paid for it?

#66 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:51 pm

Phone yam UK and order one direct.
I'm currently on 131000kms (82000miles) and still on the original tensioner

#67 Guest_Cozzy_*

Guest_Cozzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:52 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Sat 12th Jun 2010, 12:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Phone yam UK and order one direct.
I'm currently on 131000kms (82000miles) and still on the original tensioner yeahyeahyeah.gif yeahyeahyeah.gif yeahyeahyeah.gif

Thanks Celticbiker. You just reminded me there's Yamaha parts distributor, Danfay in Dublin - will ring them up. good.gif Mine might be ok but I'd feel alot better knowing my TDM has better tensioner/part, you know.

Edited by Cozzy, 13 June 2010 - 04:54 pm.

#68 v2lek

v2lek

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:40 pm

Sooo....

Got my bike back from shop today. '04 900.

Bike has done 70'000km, so the time was right..

Asked them to change camshaft chain tensioner and work on valve clearance.. Did not want to change it myself for obvious reasons and figured that if they are doing valves anyway then all will be okay.

However, got my bike (and it turns out valve clearance was spot on on all valves, so they did nothing) and it felt powerless.. acceleration that could be done before on third gear had to be made on second gear now. Also when bike really warmed up it somewhat stuttered on higher revs. And didnt seem to want to rev at all at times.

but at the shop they said that they know of the problem and checked it while changig tensioner no clunky sounds or whatever, and timing seemed correct. So I dont know what to think of it. Fortunately they were willing to take bike back for fixing, if they somehow managed to jump the chain.

Revving the bike on a sidestand, the engine did seem to be smoother than before, before lieaving the bike shop. So its really strange

After calling them from home to ride back the bike did not want to start right away, it actually needed some gassing before it agreed to fire up..

Sounds like jumped chain, right ?

Strange thing is, while going home, at one moment, when taking off from intersection, the engine made temporaryly howling, screeching sound while I was giving some revs and realeasing clutch. Dont know what to think of it. Does the new chaintensioner make any sounds while tensioning, adjusting ?

And even stranger thing is, while riding back to shop the bike seemed almost normal... apart the starting issue.

So.. any ideas?

Will update when I know more.

Edited by v2lek, 02 May 2013 - 03:41 pm.

#69 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:01 pm

They shouldn't really need to be checking for clunky sounds if they were checking the valve clearances, they would have taken the valve cover off and would be able to see the timing marks on the camshaft sprockets.

Removing the valve cover is the ONLY way to check for certain that the timing hasn't slipped a tooth or two.

I guess the screeching could have been the clutch.  :unsure2:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#70 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 pm

all valves were spot on at that mileage ?  :um:  My money is on valve timing being out, but how can they have missed it if they had the top off ? I think you might have a dodgy dealer there who skipped the valve check and slipped the chain.

Low power is a sure sign of valve timing being out.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#71 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:39 pm

That sounds a load of bollocks to me,,, lazy twat dealer,,,, well maybe eh !!!! and this is the very reason i suffered and toiled and bled and swore, lots,, oh no that was Studley, the swearing i mean.. :giveusahug:

v2lek i feel your frustration and i think you should be having some very choice words with your mechanic about the work he has done....or not as the case may be ??

good luck i hope you get it sorted,,,,let us know how you get on wont you.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#72 v2lek

v2lek

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 07:29 am

Hi,

Thank you for your input, will see what the mechanic says, when they have time to take it apart.

I would'nt yet suspect a dodgy dealer, they have quite good reputation around here, however I also do feel it strange that the valve clearance was still within specs. After doing that many kilometers.

He said that they are aware of TDM's problem with jumpy chain and so they took extra precautions and so on and even checked the timing and all seemed fine. And that the bike, with old tensioner did not rev at shop as smooth as with the new tensioner (this already suggests actually, that the timing has changed). Yes it was smooth. At first. But smoothness without power..

The only other option I can think of, if they take it apart and everything is okay, is that for some reason the bike has already jumped a teeth before or some other dealer put it back slihgtly misaligned (to fire bit early?) - alltough, in that case the bike should not have been more powerful than it was now. And it shouldnt have acted up now as it did. I'm at a loss here, sorry for so many words.

Will see when they have time to take it apart, Its high season for bike maintenance right now, so they do not exactly have alot of spare time... So maybe they rushed a bit the first time..

#73 v2lek

v2lek

arrived on last train

• 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:31 pm

So, got my bike back finally. They said that everything was okay and they fiddled with it to see when actually the chain can jump. after some testing (repeteatly removing and installing chain tensioner) they stated that it can only jump from top when cover is off, otherwise no jumping.

Well. if they say so.

However whatever they did, the bike came back alive. It now has power. And all is fine. So maybe they somehow in a hurry foobared something else up, vacuum lines, ignition.. No idea, but all is fine now and the actual problem will remain a mystery.

Thanks to everybody for giving it a thought, tho.

#74 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:19 pm

Good news.. well whatever the problem at least they have sorted the issue out for and put you back on the road  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#75 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:59 pm

So, got my bike back finally. They said that everything was okay and they fiddled with it to see when actually the chain can jump. after some testing (repeteatly removing and installing chain tensioner) they stated that it can only jump from top when cover is off, otherwise no jumping.

Well. if they say so.

However whatever they did, the bike came back alive. It now has power. And all is fine. So maybe they somehow in a hurry foobared something else up, vacuum lines, ignition.. No idea, but all is fine now and the actual problem will remain a mystery.

Thanks to everybody for giving it a thought, tho.

Good news - believe me the timing WILL jump with the cover in place so they're talking shit. Taking the tension off on the wrong firing stroke will make it jump. Pleased you're sorted  :good:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#76 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:21 pm

doesn't sound like they are very good at the job, if they did the valves the top would be off to stick feelers in, don't they read the service manual ?

If no valves needed the shims doing, then why take out the tensioner anyway since they were not going to pull the cams ?

Glad to know you are back on the road, but watch them like a hawk next time they fiddle with your bike.

dandyW is right, the chain will skip if the engine is in the wrong position when they take off the tensioner, cover on or off makes no difference.

My gut says something not quite ticketyboo here.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#77 stevierst

stevierst

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 51 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:51 am

Has anyone used one of these instead of the automatic CCT?

Attached Files

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!
The current stable
04 TDM900. My work/winter/touring donkey.
The Work Of Idle HandsVI :- 2016 Yamaha XSR900 with a few tweeks:badgerrock:

#78 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:41 pm

Dunno bout that particular item stevie but, CB changed his to a manual with a cupla nuts me thinks on his 9r.

#79 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:40 pm

Has anyone used one of these instead of the automatic CCT?

Im reshimming the valve clearances on my 900 and, on the way, found mines still fitted with older type of cam chain tensioner. Mine wasnt noisy but after consulting JBXs site I thought it best to change it. I saw these manual tensioners on eBay or Amazon. In the end I decided not to risk it and just stumped up for an OEM new, improved CCT from Fowlers, along with a couple of gaskets. Its costing the thick end of £150 but Id rather be safe than sorry, Im not sure Id know what the correct tension would be, set manually.

Interested to hear the opinions of people who have fitted one though :)

Edited by Jim, 21 October 2017 - 10:43 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#80 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:28 am

I have one on Dave (drz). There is a knack to adjusting them. A common durrz mod and plenty of adjusting info.

I would probably fit one to a 9er as the spiral adjuster system is poo. The rat sheet system on 850 I would leaf alone.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users