#1 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:46 pm

3 weeks ago the engine was struggling to start so charged the battery and was going well, but this week while stopping at lights the idle starts slowing going in to the 1500rpm and back to 1300 (normally have it 1250).

This morning the bike would not start there was a enough in the battery to fire it up but no joy. So back to square one I but the battery on charge. Put the battery back in tonight and after a wee struggle she fires up. 

Then.....i turn her off and fire her up again she starts but then idles at 1100 then dies. Try it again and the same happens. So i then fire her up and give it some gas and the fires and goes to 1500rpm then slows to 1100 and stays but unnervingly close to dieing but doesn't. Try it again and starts fine and idles at 1300 and sounds as if nothing happened.

After much hassle with the copper leads arching I have the silicone ones installed (2 years) so it cant be that i hope.

Any Advice? 

It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#2 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:09 pm

No ECU error code ?

No TPS issue ?

Have you checked the cold start mechanism ?

Any trouble with the fuel quality ?

top_640.png

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:14 pm

Does sound like a CSM problem.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 28 November 2014 - 09:51 am

No ECU error code ?

No TPS issue ?

Have you checked the cold start mechanism ?

Any trouble with the fuel quality ?

No error codes or TPS issues. The bike drives with no problem through the gears, it eventually steadies out at idle after about 30mins. 

i will look at the CSM at the weekend, I was thinking it could be the plugs, they have about 50,000 miles on them?

It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#5 Limbo

Limbo

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:45 am

Ich würde einen klemmenden Kaltdrehzahlregler untersuchen.
Er hat eine Wachspatrone im Kühlwasser, die mit einem Stab das Standgas verändert.

Limbo
without stockings and shoes I can count up to twenty wonderful

#6 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:07 pm

In other words "I would investigate a clamping cold speed controller.
He has a wax cartridge in the cooling water , which changes the idle speed with a rod ."

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#7 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:07 pm

In Monschau, when the barmaid came to the table with the bill, you said you couldn't speak German  :punishment:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#8 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:11 pm

Google translate is his friend !

top_640.png

#9 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• 3,253 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:40 pm

In Monschau, when the barmaid came to the table with the bill, you said you couldn't speak German  :punishment:

Speak German ..... I have trouble speaking English besides she didn't understand the word TEA :sorry: :P

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#10 EeeTea

EeeTea

really likes Carpe

• 87 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:19 pm

Cold Start.

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 02:22 pm

Speak German ..... I have trouble speaking English besides she didn't understand the word TEA :sorry: :P

You really to need to take one of these with some PG tips, when operating in foreign lands where they (the natives) don't understand the concept of TEA. Like almost anywhere that isn't UK.

DSCN0543_zpse2b20a35.jpg

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 hvass

hvass

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 06 December 2014 - 05:59 pm

ah.. a trangia moment in the corner of a foreign field ..brings memories of summer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tdm900a
mv v35 Imola
cb500x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users