26 replies to this topic

#21 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:01 pm

Fair enough, as I say each to their own.

Either way I just noticed this thread is nearly 9 years old :D

But since it's been dug up from it's grave we might as well say hello to it :D

Anyhoo for rust in a tank I use about 2 yards of clean chain, lots of shaking needed, it does the trick and easy to get out again ;)

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#22 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:00 pm

I used this kit.... https://restom.net/ and I thought it did a thoroughly good job.

Had to leave it to cure for seven days bit it's guaranteed for 20 years.

#23 westaustdm

westaustdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:02 pm

No I just repaired it about a week ago. Sorry tradesmen here and wasting my training on the Internet. You do realise the vehicle your driving around in more than likely has silver (not normal electronic) soldered tank.
Nothing teedium about a tdm.

#24 westaustdm

westaustdm

arrived on last train

• 7 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:29 am

More than a year now my soldering is still fine. I'm having trouble with the water drain tube through the tank but that's another story... I just ride it and ride it... lols. 

Edited by westaustdm, 04 July 2020 - 07:30 am.

Nothing teedium about a tdm.

#25 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 06 July 2020 - 11:19 am

More than a year now my soldering is still fine. I'm having trouble with the water drain tube through the tank but that's another story... I just ride it and ride it... lols. you can 

you can get a length of nylon strimmer cord and push it down thru the overflow tube till is comes out on the underside of the tank.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#26 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 July 2020 - 05:57 pm

you can get a length of nylon strimmer cord and push it down thru the overflow tube till is comes out on the underside of the tank.

Like unplugging your drain you could even put your cordless drill on :badgerrock:

#27 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 July 2020 - 08:20 pm

I've just taken off my tank cap and its a little rusty. 
Fired up the the compressor and blew away most of the tank paint  :lol: 

So ended up sanding the tank in prep for a little paint job, I'll just use what I have and see what happens

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users