#1 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:50 pm

Hola, I can't get my head trying to work out big end bearing shell codes on my project engine. I have 2 5A H on one conrod but the other one has faded away. I could just make out 5 but I wiped it and now has gone. Would it be safe to assume they will have both the same codes? Also on the engine case I have 555 Z3 201. Am I right 555 is the main bearing code and the rest I don't know. I've tried looking on the crank for any codes but can't find any. I can make out green colouring on one of the big end plain bearing shells. again, can I assume they will all be green? Thanks in advance for any help. Also, any ideas where to get rod bolts UK or EU. Wemoto.es (Spain) doesn't list them and nearby bike shops are all scooter and tractor orientated. Thanks mucho. Pedro

This is what's printed on on of the rods. Is it the 5 or the 2? Heinze and workshy Manuel only shows one number printed.

Attached Files

Edited by Pedro, 26 June 2020 - 08:51 pm.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,105 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 26 June 2020 - 05:57 pm

Muhahaha...try also being colour blind...I knew I would never remember so I made a thread about it at some point.....

Edit:. And no you Def can't assume they are all the same.

It's in ear

http://www.carpe-tdm...l=&fromsearch=1

If you are still struggling after reading that. I will sit down in a darkened room and try and ass cyst.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:00 pm

Thanks daplep. Looks like its going to be fun with a pile of shells and a bucket full of plasti gauge unless someone's got a better idea. If you can remember the thread, could you post a link? I read and re-read the work shop manual as well as Heinze book of Confucius and I'm no wiser. (Never was wise to start with!)/

Edit. Gracias for the link!

Edited by Pedro, 26 June 2020 - 06:02 pm.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:44 pm

Dont assume all the same colour, i had 2 different colours, it's a pita for sure, everything wot's known is in that thread, rod bolts i got from Fowlers.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:57 pm

Reading the thread has helped. At least I know I'm not the only one that's struggled. I'll be re-reading that thread over and over again so I get to know it back to front. Thanks for the Fowler's heads up dablik. I forgot about them.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:27 pm

We can do it with all the clues Pedro.

Lettuce snow yer crank web numbers, they are stamped so should be easy.

Which rod/cap is that a picture of already?

Take pic of other rod even if it is smeary unreadable crapola.

Keep the old shells with the relevant cap/rod.

Can you see the code printed on the shells? I will try and dig one out tomorrow to show location of code if you struggle.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:03 pm

Yep with a photo you can enlarge and maybe see any numbers, they keep telling me to go specsavers..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:49 am

Is there a list of sizes to codes? If so could get cases/rods/crank measured and work out which shells to give required clearance.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:34 am

No. I asked Yam tech if they could please relate the colour system (I managed to leave out the word idiotic) to actual sizes....they had no clue.

Plastigauge as last resort but hopefully enough clues to sort it.

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:44 am

Found it last night by torch light in a dark garage. On the crank is stamped 22 222 (easy to remember!) The rod has deffo nothing. I've used a magnifying glass and a loupe but I'll try again. Thanks for the moral support!
(Attached numbers 555 Z3 201. etched on crank case)

Attached Files

Edited by Pedro, 27 June 2020 - 10:50 am.

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:51 am

Ok so...

Left BigEnd=2, Right BigEnd=2

Next step:

Identify which rod is left & right.....

Edit:
See your pic above of case but I only have tellingbone so can't read numbers, can you?

#12 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:54 am

I have the rods numbered. #1 has the markings and #2 which has spun its bearing, has no markings. The journal cleaned up easy but I haven't got round to cleaning the rod yet.I'll try again to see if I can see any smudges on it.

#13 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:00 am

Crankcase etched 555 Z3 201. According to Heinze, 201 is the main bearing number.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:09 am

Pedro,

You have old shells still for rods? You know which came from left and right rods?

If you look really closely there will a series of numbers stamped on the shell.

Have taken pic as an EXAMPLE:

Attached File  IMG_20200627_115546.jpg   38.89KB   1 downloads

So from this code 767E I know this example shell is RED. If you also zoom like hell with a camera there is a blob of colour mid arc of shell on the side (not much use to the colour deaf like me)!

Attached File  IMG_20200627_121132.jpg   516.38KB   1 downloads

#15 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:21 am

Crankcase etched 555 Z3 201. According to Heinze, 201 is the main bearing number.
I can see green on one of the shells. I'll have a good look on the shells for a number. Thanks.

#16 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:07 pm

No. I asked Yam tech if they could please relate the colour system (I managed to leave out the word idiotic) to actual sizes....they had no clue.

Plastigauge as last resort but hopefully enough clues to sort it.

That's crap! So if you have a disaster you can't just line bore the case or undersize the crank and get the right size bearings to suit, you have to get new parts just for the markings, or find someone that casts white metal shells to your sizes.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#17 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:53 pm

Well that's interesting. On #1 rod I've got two numbered shells. One is 4XEC (green blob)and the other is 23BC ( no blob) so unless it came out the factory like that, someone's been in before. The other rod shells have worn the numbers down but on the rod itself I'm pretty certain I can make out a three but can't make out any of the other markings but there are definitely other printed markings.

#18 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,105 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:03 pm

For BEL I would have guessed 5-2=3 BROWN.

I don't recognise codes 4XEC OR 23BC.

#19 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 05:11 am

Thank you. I'll have to do some investigating but if I end up having to buy conrods, I might as well go the for the 900 upgrade. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users