Rear Caliper Rebuild - Tdm900

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:50 pm

Well here we are,I recently promised someone I would do a write up for servicing a rear caliper,and seing as how I am stuck on a train for the next 3 hours I might as well do it now.

For this you will need :-
A caliper rebuild kit
8mm Combination spanner
12mm Combination spanner
A tool to fit your banjo bolt
An M8 nut and bolt

First thing to do is clean the rear end (oooerr), I know I haven't but I was in a bit of a hurry.
Once clean and dry push piston all the way back into the caliper body (if you are doing this repair you might find this difficult and requires the use of a G clamp or similar) then loosen the two mounting pins and the bleed nipple, now use adequate protection around swingarm area (I used jay cloths) to prevent brake fluid spills.

Get your M8 nut n bolt ready.
Undo banjo bolt and remove

Raise brake line and put nut and bolt through and tighten, this will prevent excess fluid loss and help with bleeding when re-assembling.

Remove rear pin

and rotate caliper clockwise(watch out for the brake fluid)

then withdraw caliper and remaining pin from caliper mount.

Removing the piston from the caliper is the hardest part of this job which is why I did it in work(access to an airline).
If you have the facility, compressed air is the easiest and quickest way to do this, just tighten the bleed nipple and apply compressed air to the hole you took the brake line from (see below).

If you don't have access to an air line it is possible to get something into the banjo bolt hole ( be careful not to damage the thread) and push out the piston far enough to be able to grab it from the outside with a pair of pliers and withdraw whilst twisting.
Once the piston is out remove the bleed nipple again.
This is what you will find

And the old piston compared to the new one.

Now remove both seals (Large oil seal and narrower dust seal) and wipe off excess brake fluid, then wash in hot soapy water until clean and dry thouroughly.
Once dry you will need to clean out both grooves (I used a small screwdriver) because there is a build up of oxides in there that need to be removed, be careful not to damage these grooves or the new seals will get damaged when you put them in. Also use an abrasive sponge (like the one in the kitchen) and clean the small face between where the the two seals fit.
The kit will comprise of these items,
1 oil seal
1 dust seal
1 piston
1 small pack of grease.

First put a small amount of grease on both seals and put into respective grooves, be careful with the dust seal (narrower one) as it is easy to get this twisted, then apply a light smear of grease to the area between the two seals and also a light smear onto the piston.
Now carefully push piston into the caliper, this can be a little tricky so be patient, it needs to go in squarely or it can get stuck.
Amost home free.
At this stage it might pay to remove the rubber boots from the caliper mount and clean and grease them and also clean out the holes in the mount an put some grease in there too, but be warned getting these boots back on is not for the short tempered.
After cleaning the boots( if you do) clean and grease the pins

and replace caliper onto bike.
Replace banjo(using new copper washers if required) and bleed nipple, bleed brakes(I always run two master cylinders of fluid through) and clean off any remaining brake fluid.
You should end up with something like this

I usually use the bike for about 100 miles then re-bleed as the seals will have had time to 'bed in' and you might find they have gone a little spongey.
Whole job took about 1hr 45mins

Edited by dapleb, 24 June 2012 - 07:38 am.
Added model details to title

#2 DrGre

DrGre

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:21 pm

Well done!!! Great post!
Did you have to remove or loosen up a little the exhaust to get access to mounting pins?
When I changed my rare brake pads, I maneged to remove them without moving the pipe, but couldn't mount it back sad.gif
Is it just me and my left hands? dry.gif

#3 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:24 pm

Well done!!! Great post!
Did you have to remove or loosen up a little the exhaust to get access to mounting pins?
When I changed my rare brake pads, I maneged to remove them without moving the pipe, but couldn't mount it back
Is it just me and my left hands?

No, thats why you only remove the one pin and leave the other one in the caliper and remove it as an assembly.

#4 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:54 pm

H & S ALERT

if you use compressed air to remove the piston from the caliper i would recommend you wear eye protection excl.gif

last time i used this method i didn't get a very good seal into the banjo bolt hole and brake fluid sprayed back out of the hole covering my face blink.gif

#5 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:29 pm

Guess I should also add:-

Don't put your fingers between the piston and bench cos when the piston pops out it'll really hurt, trust me on this rolleyes.gif

#6 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:45 am

Excellent write-up CB, many thanks. Is the caliper rebuild kit an OEM Yamaha one, or from another supplier? What was the cost of the parts and where did you get them from?

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#7 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:32 am

OEM parts from my local dealer, cost £18 for the kit

#8 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:26 pm

QUOTE(celticbiker @ Tue 17th Feb 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OEM parts from my local dealer, cost £18 for the kit

Thanks CB, I noticed my rear caliper piston was getting pitted last time I cleaned it, so I guess I'm going to need to do this soon (ish). I guess similar kits are available for the front calipers if they need doing too?

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#9 Guest_celticbiker_*

Guest_celticbiker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 01:17 pm

Yeh I think mine might need doing next year but they are far more arkward so I'm going to leave them as long as possible.

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:54 pm

Moved to the old Knowledge Base with the old.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:16 pm

Having just done this...

...thanks to CB for the How To, VERY useful.

Regarding the air line to help get the piston out, I used a tyre compressor (the ones you keep in the boot of the car that run off the fag lighter socket) with very successful results.

Needed the lilo attachment, and a bit of elec tape to get the seal round the banjo bolt hole, but worked a treat.
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#12 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:10 pm

Would it not be easier removing the caliper with the line attached then pumping out the piston using the pedal?

I'm asking cos I'm gonna have to do mine soon.

Stu

#13 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:36 pm

That would work, but then brake fluid is the problem...

I detached the Banjo as per the how to, wasn't too bad only a wee dribble when I disconnected.

Then lift the whole caliper off and drain / pour the remaining fluid into your preferred container.

Then you just blow the piston out. For me, it seemed the easiest solution, as it was a cleaner approach than potential BF everywhere. Not sure mum would be happy about fluid on the patio smile.gif

I guess it's all subjective and depends on your preference. Only down side was getting at the rear Master Cyl, not sure if there is supposed to be an "easy" access, but it's was one of those need a 3rd arm situ smile.gif
MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#14 magneto

magneto

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 65 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:36 pm

Sorry if you all knew this already but carb model YZF-R6 rear calipers fit TDM 900's. Twin dual diameter piston jobs and they don't cost much either.

#15 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:02 pm

Erm since the banjo is M10 would it not make sense to use a M10 bolt and two copper washers to keep the fluid in ?
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#16 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:24 am

Yeh but I just happened to have an M8 in my pocket at the time.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#17 blackspot

blackspot

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:12 am

hi

my rear brake caliper developed a leak from one of the pistons

problem is, i`m in a small town on a vacation and there aren`t many shops with spare parts...

I would like to ask my friends to buy me a set of these two seals in my hometown [Belgrade, Serbia] and send it to me here so that I can replace it before heading back home

trouble is, I can`t find exact dimensions of those seals, my TDM mkII is 2000. [4TX]

does anyone know these dimensions?

thanks for your time smile.gif

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:31 am

QUOTE(blackspot @ Sun 21st Aug 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi

my rear brake caliper developed a leak from one of the pistons

problem is, i`m in a small town on a vacation and there aren`t many shops with spare parts...

I would like to ask my friends to buy me a set of these two seals in my hometown [Belgrade, Serbia] and send it to me here so that I can replace it before heading back home

trouble is, I can`t find exact dimensions of those seals, my TDM mkII is 2000. [4TX]

does anyone know these dimensions?

thanks for your time smile.gif

Just measured some to the best of my ability and I got......

The seals 43mm id x 47mm od x 2mm
Dust covers 43mm id x 49mm od x 3mm

Hope this helps smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 blackspot

blackspot

arrived on last train

• 2 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:10 pm

thank you very much Ramrod!

tomorrow,my friends in Belgrade will call every bike parts shop and if it exists i will have the seals in time smile.gif

#20 navar66

navar66

discovering Carpe

• 19 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:19 pm

Hi Guy's sorry but I'm a bit of a thick bugger. I don't need to overhaul my rear brake but do need to change the pads. After checking the usual stops of the internet and having found a video related to this subject. The chap removed the 2 retaining bolts on the calliper, just wanted to make sure that this is legit and not something that's just been made up for my benefit  

https://www.google.c...nyqgh8kwzrLYmLA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users