Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Use Aftermarket Speedometers On Their Tdm?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:31 pm

So me speedometer went out (needle broke off, but it was just spinning in circles before that) and I am having trouble finding a new speedometer. So I looked on ebay and found a lot of generic third party dash-clusters. Anyone use these before or have any opinions on them?

http://www.ebay.com/...61a92a1&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/...3535e3f&vxp=mtr

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

My Website/Blog with Different Project Write Ups

#2 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:34 pm

I could help you out, the company I work for has just launched a new site for motorcycle speedos, fully programmable too

I know its a shameful plug but ............

www.smithsspeedos.co.uk

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#3 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:59 pm

I could help you out, the company I work for has just launched a new site for motorcycle speedos, fully programmable too

I know its a shameful plug but ............

www.smithsspeedos.co.uk

You work for them? Get us a discount then! :lol:
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#4 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:13 pm

Do they have any that fit stock dash for a TDM?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#5 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 am

we need to confirm some dimensions to confirm standard fit to a TDM, the hole they fit in and I think there is a recess for the Bezel to fit in.
The rear of the case comes in 2 sizes to fit either 80mm or 86mm holes these are fully programmable and will need a sender to convert the mechanical cable of the hub to a pulse generator, we have many different fitments (see the accessories page).

80mm = 3.149" (3 5/32")
86mm = 3.375" (3 3/8")

I can post a drawing or drawings of the instrument showing general dimensions, one I know which type you are after.

the programming is easy, we design a ride to set feature. you need to cover a measured mile at the start in program mode press the button one completed the mile press the button again, its calibrated for your bike.

LED illumination.

You work for them? Get us a discount then! :lol:

I have asked, but.....but.....but...... don't think so sorry guys. but they come with warranty .

Edited by Daveb, 29 November 2012 - 09:11 am.

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#6 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:31 am

Nice clocks those....
2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#7 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:35 am

Nice clocks those....

Why thank you, you should see the other gauges we make, I was at a very small VW show on the weekend, promoting speedo for the Splitty, bug and Karmann Ghia that we make

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#8 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:35 pm

Seems like it might be more expensive then that aftermarket dash if you have to purchase a pulse generator for the speedo to work. What is the average cost of these speedos?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#9 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:46 pm

I understand what you are saying about price, but it should fit straight into the existing aperture on the bike. 4 wire connections required. +ve -ve signal and lights.

The grey faced Speedo is £190,
The Chronometric Speedo in a machined case is £250.

I dont know the price of the sender think £35ish but I will check this out for you. Depends if the bike has already got an electronic pick up, if so you wont need one. if converting from mechanical to electronic drive you will need the sender.

just another idea have you thought about having your speedo repaired?

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#10 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:28 pm

Alex, I think I might have a UK MPH MK1 TDM 850 speedo lurking in a box in the garage. I don't know if whether it would be legal in the US or what the cost of shipping it to you would be, but if you are willing to cover the cost of the shipping you can have it (as long as I can find it).

Just went out and found them, I bought them because my tacho died when I first bought my TDM, I swapped the tacho from this set with my dead one, then threw them in a box. I'm not sure if separating the speedo for sending it to you would be a good idea. It would be better protected left in the housing. I could take the dead tacho out to make the package lighter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The glass isn't scratched it's just steam from bringing them into the house.

Edited by hammerman, 29 November 2012 - 06:51 pm.

#11 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:02 pm

You could always buy a HM Dash (I'm a dealer) built in GPS (for laps, speedo etc...not getting to France..haha), Lap timer, data logging and much more, but £700.00+ nice though....

Love those speedos very nice, next project bike I'm in for one or two...

Edited by Arthur, 29 November 2012 - 08:13 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#12 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:13 pm

anyone who went to the NEC or planning to go have a look at the Royal Enfield Cafe Racer, we supplied the speedo and Tacho.
The Enfield has Harris frame, Ohlins suspension, Smiths gauges and think its got Brembo brakes

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#13 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:14 pm

Very nice it is too!...

#14 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:54 am

we got one on the Old Empire Motorcycles - The Pup

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=382952055119761&set=a.186815468066755.47447.186385198109782&type=1&theater

http://www.britishcu...k/oem-archives/

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#15 BlueTwin

BlueTwin

sticking around

• 37 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:15 pm

Hello all - first ever post, just bought my first ever TDM this month - a 1997 4TX which I'm loving.

On the speedo discussion, this might be of use to anyone with an interest in aftermarket and DIY instrumentation :

http://www.ivica-nov...280 lcd-eng.htm

It's a home brew cluster for a 4TX built around a PIC microcontroller and a mobile phone screen, including all of the design drawings and source code. Apols if anyone has posted this before... I didn't see it. Very tempted just to have a go at one (hopefully a bit prettier) using DaveB's Smiths inline hall effect sensor.

#16 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:04 pm

Alex, I think I might have a UK MPH MK1 TDM 850 speedo lurking in a box in the garage. I don't know if whether it would be legal in the US or what the cost of shipping it to you would be, but if you are willing to cover the cost of the shipping you can have it (as long as I can find it).

Just went out and found them, I bought them because my tacho died when I first bought my TDM, I swapped the tacho from this set with my dead one, then threw them in a box. I'm not sure if separating the speedo for sending it to you would be a good idea. It would be better protected left in the housing. I could take the dead tacho out to make the package lighter.

The glass isn't scratched it's just steam from bringing them into the house.

Yea if you still have those I could definitely use the speedometer. I was just going aftermarket route since I could not find any used ones for sale in the US. Ill send you a message so we can figure out what shipping would be.

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#17 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:54 pm

Replied to your message Alex. Hopefully I can get the speedo shipped over to you for a reasonable cost.

#18 LDRider

LDRider

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:33 pm

FYI, I searched for months for a used speedo, and finally found one for about $150 from Germany, plus shipping. And, failure mode on my old one was identical to Alex - crazy wobble of needle for a short while, then needle broke off at base. So... if you're needle starts to wobble on a MK1, better disconnect the cable or something, cause likely it's gonna snap soon.

2010 BMW R1200GSA 30th Anniv
2006 BMW K1200S set up for touring
1992 TDM850 set up for touring

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:25 pm

Is ewe still about daveb?

I have an old Smiths gauge I want to rejuvenate.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#20 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:00 pm

Anyone know if he is Juan of the CMC crew?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users