5 replies to this topic

#1 AlanG

AlanG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 106 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 18 September 2020 - 08:25 am

I’ve ordered a Nitron shock for my TDM 850 as the original 20 yr old one is a bit tired now. Is it a legal requirement to inform your insurance company of this change ?

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:16 am

I tried to once and they said its an upgrade/improvement without making it faster. more concerned if I had a custom paint job

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:15 pm

Technically yes, But finding a 20 Year old bike fitted with completely OEM parts would be quite hard, so it would be a hard one for the Insurance company to argue in the case of a total loss. As it would be more common to buy one these days with pattern or aftermarket parts that it would all stock. 

If you want to insure the Value of the shock and the bike and be 100% safe, then declare it. 

If you aren't bothered about what the shock cost, and would take a market value for an equal (as much as possible) model bike in the event of a total loss. Then I wouldn't bother. 

#4 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:43 pm

They’ll put money on if you declare it, but won’t pay you anything like what it’s worth if you claim, just saying......

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:06 pm

Technically yes, But finding a 20 Year old bike fitted with completely OEM parts would be quite hard, so it would be a hard one for the Insurance company to argue in the case of a total loss. As it would be more common to buy one these days with pattern or aftermarket parts that it would all stock. 

If you want to insure the Value of the shock and the bike and be 100% safe, then declare it. 

If you aren't bothered about what the shock cost, and would take a market value for an equal (as much as possible) model bike in the event of a total loss. Then I wouldn't bother. 

Now here's a man who know's his stuff when it comes to insurance. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 MarshallStone

MarshallStone

sticking around

• 38 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:38 pm

I tried to once and they said its an upgrade/improvement without making it faster. more concerned if I had a custom paint job

That can cost you more than it should because the tax collectors will figure out some way to handle this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users