• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:05 pm

QUOTE(AzzA @ Mon 1st Jun 2009, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bump!!!!

Power Commander on stock bike????
Anyone??????

On a stock bike you shouldn't need to do anything other than the airbox mod. I cannot see how the PC could improve my bike at the moment. Now if I fit Arrow cans and a K&N then I might need one.
My CO setting are C1=12 and C2=14, but this works for my bike all TDMs are slightly different.

I'd like to see some dynos of a TDM with the airbox mod and the same with airbox mod reversed and a PC fitted.
Anyone got these?

Edited by OldGreyWizard, 01 June 2009 - 08:11 pm.

#22 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:48 am

QUOTE(AJ_Blizzard @ Fri 17th Apr 2009, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah... would love to try it, but there's no download link in your post... huh.gif
Feel free to PM it to me wink.gif

Thanks!

Doh!!! Sorry lads. Here it is. Just rename the extension back to .DJM. It would not let me upload as a DJM but TXT was ok.

Attached Files

2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#23 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:51 am

QUOTE(OldGreyWizard @ Mon 1st Jun 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a stock bike you shouldn't need to do anything other than the airbox mod. I cannot see how the PC could improve my bike at the moment. Now if I fit Arrow cans and a K&N then I might need one.
My CO setting are C1=12 and C2=14, but this works for my bike all TDMs are slightly different.

I'd like to see some dynos of a TDM with the airbox mod and the same with airbox mod reversed and a PC fitted.
Anyone got these?

My 9er has standard exhausts and I fitted a PC 3 about 18 months ago and had it dynoed. I did the airbox mod when I first bought the bike which obviously makes a difference but the PC 3 makes an even bigger improvement to the smoothnes of the power delivery right from low down the rev range. The graph shows a nice linear curve to around 5800 rpm and then flattens off with a measured output at the rear wheel of 79 bhp. The PC certainly improves the ridability of the bike but the downside is that it is not so economical. Before fitting the PC I could get high 50's to the gallon without trying too hard but now its around the 50 mark and if I push it hard its into the 40's.
Now on 9er number 2 .....

#24 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:07 am

QUOTE(Saga Lout @ Tue 2nd Jun 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 9er has standard exhausts and I fitted a PC 3 about 18 months ago and had it dynoed. I did the airbox mod when I first bought the bike which obviously makes a difference but the PC 3 makes an even bigger improvement to the smoothnes of the power delivery right from low down the rev range. The graph shows a nice linear curve to around 5800 rpm and then flattens off with a measured output at the rear wheel of 79 bhp. The PC certainly improves the ridability of the bike but the downside is that it is not so economical. Before fitting the PC I could get high 50's to the gallon without trying too hard but now its around the 50 mark and if I push it hard its into the 40's.

Same here, fitted PCIII only a short while back and certainly provides smoothest power delivery and issues around low rpm snatchiness disappear. Not dissing the airbox mod as this is a good no-cost improvement, but the PCIII completes the job.

Interestingly my bike was way too rich when dyno'd before the PCIII was fitted (11%), but now around desired 14% using standard map with few tweaks using the fuel mix buttons on the front, so I'm getting improved mpg not worse (high-50s from low 50s).

As I've got standard cans I've not paid out for a custom map, but may do in the future especially if tempted by new cans, also as I'm only at 73bhp.
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#25 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:59 pm

I was told by the Dyno chappie NOT to touch the dash buttons once its been setup on the dyno - you'll just mess up th efine tuning done by the map.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#26 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:35 pm

Seems to be a few more options on maps on the Dynojet web site if any ones still trying.

http://www.powercomm...d...128&yr=2007

#27 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:24 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Tue 2nd Jun 2009, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was told by the Dyno chappie NOT to touch the dash buttons once its been setup on the dyno - you'll just mess up th efine tuning done by the map.

Sorry Dandy I'd missed your reply when you made it.

I didn't have the PC set-up on a dyno (£180= tightarse) just loaded the standard map then had a simple £25 dyno run done to see the state of play. I'd had a free run done a few months before that'd shown up over-rich running, which prompted the PC purchase (EBay - £100).

So the front button were with guidance of the dyno techie to tweak low and high rpm fuelling, if the run had shown up it was "way out" I was planning on having the proper custom map done.

If I ever get after-market cans I'll stump up for the proper job, but overall the standard map was pretty close.
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#28 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:10 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry Dandy I'd missed your reply when you made it.

I didn't have the PC set-up on a dyno (£180= tightarse) just loaded the standard map then had a simple £25 dyno run done to see the state of play. I'd had a free run done a few months before that'd shown up over-rich running, which prompted the PC purchase (EBay - £100).

So the front button were with guidance of the dyno techie to tweak low and high rpm fuelling, if the run had shown up it was "way out" I was planning on having the proper custom map done.

If I ever get after-market cans I'll stump up for the proper job, but overall the standard map was pretty close.

So what was the dyno chappies advice then?

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#29 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:38 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what was the dyno chappies advice then?

I'd installed the PC with a standard map, I have a K&N but otherwise stock, and I'd felt it was way better than before the PC (smoother & more throttle response).

The dyno run showed I was a still a little rich in lower range (up to 3k), pretty fine in the mid (3-6k) and a little lean in the high (6k+). So I knocked it down one mark in the low and up one in the high - then left well alone. Perhaps another run would've confirmed the exact adjustment but I asked the techie about using the buttons and he reckoned adjusting by one mark would work.

I know that to take full benefit of the PC you need a custom map. but I was taking the tightarse option to try to get close without spending £150 more, accepting that if I were to get an aftermarket can I'd then definately get the custom map done.

But I've been more than happy with what I have, certainly a significant improvement over stock, given how little I've had to spend out (£125 all-in).

Edited by poldark, 07 November 2009 - 07:39 pm.

#30 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:05 pm

£180, think I'd be a tight arse aswell.

#31 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:53 pm

QUOTE(Catteeclan @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
£180, think I'd be a tight arse aswell.

I got 4 quotes, the two most recommended places were £180, while a couple of the others were £150. This is for 3-4 hours work, so I took a bit of a gamble (given I wasn't trying to adapt to a non-standard can) and just had a simple dyno run done (£25) to see were I was at with a standard map.

I had the earlier, pre-PC fitment, dyno chart so I knew how rich it had been running and I was fortunate that I'd got pretty close without the need for a custom map. Pretty sure that with an aftermarket can you need a custom map, though not sure if you have a map from another owner with the same set-up whether this'd be good enough.

#32 Guest_Catteeclan_*

Guest_Catteeclan_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:54 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got 4 quotes, the two most recommended places were £180, while a couple of the others were £150. This is for 3-4 hours work, so I took a bit of a gamble (given I wasn't trying to adapt to a non-standard can) and just had a simple dyno run done (£25) to see were I was at with a standard map.

I guess you get what you pay for. I think I'll play with a few maps before spending that much though.

#33 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:35 pm

QUOTE(poldark @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd installed the PC with a standard map, I have a K&N but otherwise stock, and I'd felt it was way better than before the PC (smoother & more throttle response).

The dyno run showed I was a still a little rich in lower range (up to 3k), pretty fine in the mid (3-6k) and a little lean in the high (6k+). So I knocked it down one mark in the low and up one in the high - then left well alone. Perhaps another run would've confirmed the exact adjustment but I asked the techie about using the buttons and he reckoned adjusting by one mark would work.

I know that to take full benefit of the PC you need a custom map. but I was taking the tightarse option to try to get close without spending £150 more, accepting that if I were to get an aftermarket can I'd then definately get the custom map done.

But I've been more than happy with what I have, certainly a significant improvement over stock, given how little I've had to spend out (£125 all-in).

Are you talking about the buttons on the P Commander? I've never used them......... unsure.gif

#34 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:12 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 7th Nov 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you talking about the buttons on the P Commander? I've never used them......... unsure.gif

Yes, but as you said before if you've had a custom map done then you shouldn't really have any need to be messing with them.

If not, then they split the rev range into three bands (you can see what they are by using the software connected to a laptop) and you can "manually" adjust (richer/leaner) each of these bands, but clearly this isn't as sophisticated as true dyno custom set-up.

#35 AJ_Blizzard

AJ_Blizzard

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:40 pm

QUOTE(Sparra @ Tue 2nd Jun 2009, 01:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doh!!! Sorry lads. Here it is. Just rename the extension back to .DJM. It would not let me upload as a DJM but TXT was ok.

Downloaded and renamed, but still no luck...
Perhaps you could zip it and try to upload it again... wink.gif
TDM 900 2006 mod.:
MRA modded PUIG screen, air-box mod., Laser Duo-Tech cans, Powercommander, Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater, Stebel Magnum (black), Centech AP-1 Auxiliary Fuse Panel, Hawkeoiler...

#36 Sparra

Sparra

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:34 am

Hope this works. Sorry have not been around lately got made redundant and had career change with no access to computers. Still will not allow .DJM so just rename the extension from .txt to .djm.

Attached Files

2002 TDM900. BMW 1150gs handguards, Oxford heated grips, Staintune exhausts, airbox mod, re-moulded seat, bar risers, Powerlec adaptor, bluetooth, 2way comms, K & N filter, Nonfango hard luggage, center stand, polished alloy wheels, (I'm not gunna)crash knobs

#37 AJ_Blizzard

AJ_Blizzard

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:01 am

QUOTE(Sparra @ Thu 12th Nov 2009, 10:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hope this works. Sorry have not been around lately got made redundant and had career change with no access to computers. Still will not allow .DJM so just rename the extension from .txt to .djm.

Ok!
There it was tongue.gif

Thank you!

TDM 900 2006 mod.:
MRA modded PUIG screen, air-box mod., Laser Duo-Tech cans, Powercommander, Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater, Stebel Magnum (black), Centech AP-1 Auxiliary Fuse Panel, Hawkeoiler...

#38 Guest_Recce_*

Guest_Recce_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:11 pm

QUOTE(AJ_Blizzard @ Tue 15th Jul 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[text not quoted]
What I did was this; I loaded two PC maps in the Powercommander software in 'Compare Map' mode (Tools | Compare Maps) and made a new map using the average value of the two maps I loaded.
And the maps I used to make the new one are these two:
[image not quoted]
PC_Map_1.jpg
[image not quoted]
PC_Map_2.jpg
The result:
[image not quoted]
PC_Map_3.jpg (emailed to TonyDevil).

I use this map on my TDM with fitted Laser Duo-Tech cans race inserts and airbox mod and CO sensor disconnected.
And it works like a charm!

I big thank you! to hallrob1 (Robin) for sharing the 'Laser Duo Tech slip ons, road legal inserts O2 sensor disconnected Airbox mod HM Racing Custom Map 01689 856595
hmracing.co.uk' map!

Don't ask if the bike uses more or less fuel after I started to use the 'new' map. I haven't checked…

I bought a used PC3 manufactured 2007 from eBay (€112), but haven't had the time or the money to get my own custom map yet...

I have tried out and played around with the officially supplied maps, e.g. "406-511 European model-Remus Revolution slip-on exhausts with baffles, Stock or aftermarket airfilter". There were several positive differences compared to zero map but not the big "wow!". This was of course expected since a custom map is supposed to be just what it says... custom.

Yesterday I felt the urge to punch in the numbers from your picture of "the result" as far as I could see them...up to 5500 rpm. 6000 rpm and higher I used the 406-508.

The pull and acceleration starting from low revs was so smooth! I feels like a new bike... the difference compared to previous maps was a great improvement! As a bonus... it also makes a nicer sound from the exhausts!?!

I have already booked a dyno-run for the end of May, but now I'm not so sure anymore...

Many thanks to you AJ_Blizzard (and hallrob1) for sharing the resulting map. At least up to 5500 rpm in the posted picture tongue.gif

Me happy laugh.gif

#39 AJ_Blizzard

AJ_Blizzard

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:24 am

QUOTE(Recce @ Sat 15th May 2010, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many thanks to you AJ_Blizzard (and hallrob1) for sharing the resulting map. At least up to 5500 rpm in the posted picture tongue.gif

Me happy laugh.gif

You're welcome cool.gif

And here's the missing part of the map:

AJ
TDM 900 2006 mod.:

#40 Guest_Recce_*

Guest_Recce_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:22 pm

QUOTE(AJ_Blizzard @ Sun 16th May 2010, 11:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're welcome cool.gif

And here's the missing part of the map:

[not quoting picture]

AJ

Thanks for the quick response! I just love this community tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users