Photo
- - - - -

Pannier Rack Inside Mounted Toolbox: Anyone Here Fabricate Sheet Metal?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 13 March 2019 - 08:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm after an easy access toolbox solution for my motorcycle. My ideal solution at present is a tin that sits on the inside of the pannier rack such that the panniers can still be mounted and removed as needed with the toolbox permanently fixed on the scaffolding. The pannier rack in question is the GIVI PL347 but I guess we could make it universal with different mounting feet. I'm not even bothered if I have to make the brackets to sit it on myself/bend some into shape. Solutions I've seen to date exist for the BUMOT pannier system on the Honda Africa Twin and the Touratech toolbox for the BMW GS. I have seen that Givi makes the S250 but I am unimpressed with it given the price.

Off the top of my head the box would contain:
puncture repair kit

head torch

4mm, 5mm allen sockets

extension bar

3/8" drive ratchet (I guess 8" long?)

12mm, 14mm spanners

8mm socket

Normal and needle-nose mole grips (the latter is also a replacement footpeg)

Cable ties

Gaffer tape

Fuses

Philips socket

Throttle cable (clutch cables doubled up)

Pump

undecided on a 32mm socket and 19mm allen socket for wheels

To be made of preferably aluminium but also fancy the idea of orange painted steel to go with my engine bars.

I might shoot Rafal a message too with drawings of my idea and pannier rack dimensions to see if he's up for the challenge as he was a great sport with my engine bars - which I'm still not brave enough to tell him I scratched the other weekend when I dropped the motorbike on the drive :'(

Would love some suggestions from some of the regular tourers on here about what they think would be useful in the design of such a receptacle or even input on what must be included although there's a lot of information within the forum on that topic already and the wider internet

Would love even more if other people also expressed interest in one of these and we could get some made as a batch by anyone up for it

The use case for this is mainly a form of permanent organisation for my tools;

a) so I'm not walking back and forth to my garage when I'm doing quick work on my bike on the drive (those 15 seconds add up)

b) currently my tools rattle round/get lost in my top box which sometimes struggles for space on my daily commute

Thanks in advance for your input

Best

Jacob

Edited by jpor, 13 March 2019 - 09:16 pm.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:00 pm

Oi still loikee me cannisters

http://www.carpe-tdm...annister&page=1
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 09:19 pm

Oi still loikee me cannisters

http://www.carpe-tdm...annister&page=1

ah yes I have seen the canisters, how do they fare for durability?

I like the idea of having a bike that looks a bit GS'd so I might have tickled myself quite a bit by the idea of having some metal bling on there

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:53 am

9 years later and both still there. One on off road boike, so they are doing ok.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:04 am

+1 for the Tra'tor tool cannisters approved by Dapleb. Mate's got 2 on his F650 Seratao. Only thing is, I don't like the way they look at me while I'm following him! :hide:  ;)

Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#6 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:43 am

I have that much crap I carry, including tyre inflater, spare clutch cable, wd40, not to mention the tools. My top box is 2/3 full and way over recommended weight. 

#7 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:41 pm

https://www.ebay.co....t-/201291652515

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#8 jpor

jpor

seems to like Carpe

• 72 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 12:52 pm

Thanks, just picked up two small ones 

Still interested in the idea of a metal one to go with the other metal stuff on here but these will do for now (for now being the next 4 years of course!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users