#1 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:52 am

http://sealmate.net
Having just spent several hours 'dismantling' a fork leg to remove a leaky fork seal, I came across this device.
Seems like lots of folks have either used this, or made their own. Reviews on pootoob are positive.
Anyone tried something similar and found it useful? Or not?
Thought it might worth a try before the inevitable battle with the fork dismantling next time.

#2 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:20 am

I have a Castrol branded version I got for free at the Scottish m/c show a few years ago, It worked a couple of times on my FJ1100. Didn't help with my mk2, but the bushes were shot too,( which allows the fork stanchion to move about in the lower leg which distorts the seals)

It might be the case that they're good maintenance tools, perhaps running them through your seals every six months to clear any potentially harmful debris.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#3 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:51 am

I've seen people use these to good effect...

I think Muddy on here uses a cut down plastic milk carton with the same success!

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#4 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:12 pm

I think Muddy on here uses a cut down plastic milk carton with the same success!

Just about to say😎 No need to buy anything, I cut strips from an ice cream container and keep them in my top box. Anything flexible yet just stiff enough will get the grunge out.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#5 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:28 pm

I use these on my off road bikes fairley regular but as Muddy said you can use any thing thin and stiff I use a piece of film from a camera to good effect.Just remenber to hold whatever you are useing at an angle that will slide the dirt out from the seal.

#6 Retro

Retro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 242 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:13 pm

Got quite a few of different sizes, shapes, made out of a plastic milk container. Actually appears to work

I never ride faster than my angel can fly

#7 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:20 am

I would rather replace a leaking seal than relying on a piece of plastic to "fix" it... But, that's just me  :)

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:27 am

I would rather replace a leaking seal than relying on a piece of plastic to "fix" it... But, that's just me  :)

The majority of time a seal leaks due to a bit of muck that's got lodged between the forks and the seal.  Using these cleans the much out and the seal can work properly again.

Why go to the hassle of replacing a complete seal etc when trying this could sort the seal and save a lot of hassle.  If the seal has truly gone or is old and an oil change needed etc, then fair enough, but for a simple fix it's worth a try.

#9 Got1now

Got1now

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:51 am

I tried a plastic milk carton, cut to shape, but it wouldn't slide down between the fork leg and the seal ...... it just creased up and folded ....GRRRRR!

So, now will try to use a plastic lemonade bottle to see if that works.

Like others have said, it's worth a go, if you have a leaking fork seal, it might work, if not, then you haven't spent loads of dosh for nothing.

#10 TDM4ever

TDM4ever

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:52 am

The majority of time a seal leaks due to a bit of muck that's got lodged between the forks and the seal.  Using these cleans the much out and the seal can work properly again.

Why go to the hassle of replacing a complete seal etc when trying this could sort the seal and save a lot of hassle.  If the seal has truly gone or is old and an oil change needed etc, then fair enough, but for a simple fix it's worth a try.

If a piece of debris can get under the seal, then the seal is no longer doing its job and needs to be replaced.

Not saying not to use the plastic thingy, that is for you to decide, but I don't trust a seal that has started to leak  :)

#11 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:34 pm

My seal had a slight leak something like 10k ago. I cleared the debris and its been fine since. The seal is doing it's job.

Edited by muddy, 28 June 2017 - 12:38 pm.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#12 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:36 pm

this gizmo works by removing debris that is holding the seal open the seal itself is not damaged if its damaged only recourse is to replace it

#13 spike240

spike240

really likes Carpe

• 91 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:04 pm

http://www.ebay.co.u...oIAAOSwG-1W00~t
Sorry guys - it was the above link I meant. Boosterplug is the product. Sorry for my mistake.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:43 pm

http://www.ebay.co.u...oIAAOSwG-1W00~t
Sorry guys - it was the above link I meant. Boosterplug is the product. Sorry for my mistake.

Check if they offer a money back guarantee......

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#15 Gauntlett

Gauntlett

seems to like Carpe

• 77 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:35 am

Used a bought one last week, has two blades one for dust seals one for oil seals, worked perfectly, slight leak after using, then completely dry after 60 mile round trip for MOT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users