#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:37 pm

Treated the bloody thing to brake rebuild and new tyres and now it wont go!!!!!

The only thing that I have touched to do with electrickery since it last started was to remove the ecm plugs to take pic!!!!!! As far as I remember I plugged it back in. :-)

Elec rather than fuel me thinks. Off to do battle after a sangas!! If you have any ideas please shout!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:13 pm

Chortlin' at others ? :P  Prolly my turn next. :huh:

Did you check for a spark ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:37 pm

I earnt this! ;-)

It is indeed electrical. No spark either cylinder. Single coil unit so could be that but since the only thing I have touched is the Brian black box thing I bet its that!!!!!!

Have removed coil. Read Heinz. Not sure what I am doin but might try and test is or prolly more wisely take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Any suggestions on where to get a new coil unit if required? I dont want shOite so might have to pucker up for a yam wan!!!!!!!

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:12 pm

Primary wind resistance 3.20

Secondary wind 15.50

Within spec!!! Bum badgers.

#5 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:34 pm

Coincidences are my forte. I have often blamed someone/thing for something & been completely out of order doin it.

Have you tried the usuals ie. kill, clutch & side stand switches.

Then have a look at the plug you disconnected & see if all the wires & pins are like they ought to be.

I know I keep saying this but I had a coil that gave the correct 1 & 2 readings but broke down under load. that said it misfired rather than no sparky altogether.

If all that fails take it to Studleys & tell him that as an administrator it is his duty to fix it :badgerrock:  :hide: 

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:56 pm

I think all them switches would stop it from turning over yamSam. Mine turns fine but no spark.

All wires still in plugs. All pins fine. Wiggle when turning over makes no diff.

I would expect this coil to have a go at starting even if it was struggling under load?

Checked main and ignition fuses too. Both fine.

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:14 pm

You realize this puts ya in my club daps😂 it's coming out in sympafy.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:48 pm

Its going to be the most expensive bit dabbers!

Want to swap black boxes? :-)

#9 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:04 pm

Ignition switch need a wiggle ?

Coil wire terminals ok ?  Wiggle them too.

Tis indeed a strange coincidence with unplugging the Brian.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:26 pm

Would ignition switch stop it firing SR even if its turnin over?

Coil wires look wirey but I have no idea if good/bad/average.

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:41 pm

A few have had a similar problem with the ignition switch, think it might have been the 9'er wans but, switch ign on and everything works but no starty, wiggle a few times then starty.

Doubt it's the coil wire terminals if ya haven't touched them.

re: replacement coil.  Cliff couldn't find a decent replacement coil, M&P do coils but no idea on the quality.  Think original coil was Denso, but seem to remember reading somewhere that only Lucas do the dual coil now and they're not as good. Can ya still get a Yamaha one ? EDIT:  Fowlers sell 'em but they're not cheap.

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:47 pm

So 9ers would still turn over with key but not start? Hmm I had assumed once the boike was turning over the key had done its thing!

Ugh prince of darkness. . . . Oil ask yam aboot new coil, though pretty sure thats not the problemo! Edit. Whats the damage? I seem to recall 70 quid but that was a long time ago.

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:55 pm

Yes, that's what happened to some 9'ers.

Yeah, around £70 chief.  I'd also be surprised if it was the coil.

#14 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:13 pm

Since Dave had ignition barrel prob, its possible as kept in same place. I will put the boike back together and take a look at that!! Ta SR.

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:31 am

Just about to board a plane daps re swap x

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:28 am

You're welcome to send me your black box for testing on me mokeyboike Daps.

#17 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:56 am

Yes peas SR can you send me am addy and oil try and get it in the post this eve.

Ferry kind of ewe. B-)

#18 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:24 pm

Coincidences are my forte. I have often blamed someone/thing for something & been completely out of order doin it.

Have you tried the usuals ie. kill, clutch & side stand switches.

Then have a look at the plug you disconnected & see if all the wires & pins are like they ought to be.

I know I keep saying this but I had a coil that gave the correct 1 & 2 readings but broke down under load. that said it misfired rather than no sparky altogether.

If all that fails take it to Studleys & tell him that as an administrator it is his duty to fix it :badgerrock:  :hide:

Hi 

If you pay for lodging and transportation, can it be a service at the place where the boike is located?

From Brasil............. :hide:

Cheers!

Edited by Sidarta, 26 June 2017 - 12:25 pm.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:09 pm

Yes peas SR can you send me am addy and oil try and get it in the post this eve.

Ferry kind of ewe. B-)

Addy sent. :)

Hi 

If you pay for lodging and transportation, can it be a service at the place where the boike is located?

From Brasil............. :hide:

Cheers!

:lol:  Not sure if that would be the most economical way to fix a problem.

#20 Sidarta

Sidarta

just half a litre to go

• 845 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:07 pm

Hi Studley!

Yes it's true. It would not be the most economical.

Regardless, it would be a pleasure to receive you in Brazil.  

We would have parties. :cake eating:  :drinks:

Edited by Sidarta, 26 June 2017 - 02:11 pm.

Att
Sidarta 

TDM850 ano 2001
 Honda XLX 250 1988 
Honda Tornado 2005 - Honda CB400 1982 
Honda CB350 1972 e 1973

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users