drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 17 February 2017 - 05:57 pm

What a pain!

I've spent 2 houirs taking the carbs off to do another job.

I ended up taking the right side float bowl off just so I could undo the inlet clamp.

Of course 1 screw was fubared

I've now changed them for allen caps on the clamps but still not finished putting them on as its gone dark.

I did search on here if there was a how to, but nowt came up.

Onwards and upwards I suppose

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#2 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:06 pm

Studley JT Ramrod is our resident expert. :hide:  I'm sure he will be along shortly.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:01 pm

Yes they are a pain. :)

My method involves clamping the inlet rubbers to the carbs first.  Cut the tangs off the rubbers so you can then swivel the lowers clamps to a more suitable position somewhere inbetween the carbs.  Still a fiddly job tightening the clamps up but deffo easier once you find where you want the clamp bolts to be.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:29 pm

Yes they are a pain. :)

My method involves clamping the inlet rubbers to the carbs first.  Cut the tangs off the rubbers so you can then swivel the lowers clamps to a more suitable position somewhere inbetween the carbs.  Still a fiddly job tightening the clamps up but deffo easier once you find where you want the clamp bolts to be.

I left the tangs on, but removing them would have made things a lot easier.

I left the carb body clamps on too as I couldn't get anywhere near them.

next time (is there a next time?) I'll cut them off

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#5 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:11 pm

finally managed to get those @~&% carbs on

buttoned it all up

started the bike

and then I realised I forgot to reattach the TPS sensor on the carbs AAAHHHH!

Edited by drewpy, 21 February 2017 - 12:37 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users