7 replies to this topic

#1 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:15 am

it's a new battery last year have had it on optimate in the winter I was trying out new headlight bulbs and the battery is flat was just wondering if regulator or rectifier are stuffed bike has 25k miles it's a mk 1 where do I get upgraded parts and where should I look for problems when the charger had been on about 10 minutes bike starts fine just maybe not charging battery ?

#2 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 February 2017 - 01:09 pm

Batteries are a law on to themselves. My er6 one failed after 8 months. The cheapo replacement has lasted 6 years. If your bikes charging ok your looking at a duff battery I'm afraid.

#3 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:20 pm

yeah starting to think battery is duff gonna leave it uncharged for a while and see if it's holding charge

#4 flea

flea

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 58 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:32 pm

sounds like batterys dropped a cell , I just bought a bike with same prob , put on charger 10 mins starts ok . runs ok but turn bike off after decent run and back on the charger to start again

#5 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:17 pm

Another "Optimate" victim :)  They may be getting better at cycling a battery according to my mate who swallows all the hype that these companies claim about their product, but for me let the battery drop it's voltage naturally and charge it up and run the bike occassionally :good: someone down Liverpool area has my old Yellow Niner and I'll bet the Varta battery is still going strong and it was fitted Sept 2012 and there is a sticker on the battery saying so! :good:

it's a new battery last year have had it on optimate in the winter I was trying out new headlight bulbs and the battery is flat was just wondering if regulator or rectifier are stuffed bike has 25k miles it's a mk 1 where do I get upgraded parts and where should I look for problems when the charger had been on about 10 minutes bike starts fine just maybe not charging battery ?

Put a multimeter on your battery when it's running, if it's charging the voltage should be between 13.8volts and 14.4volts

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:15 am

sounds like batterys dropped a cell , I just bought a bike with same prob , put on charger 10 mins starts ok . runs ok but turn bike off after decent run and back on the charger to start again

Thats more like a symptom of poor charging on the bike. If the battery takes a charge off the charger enough to start the bike then the alternator/regulator may not be charging it enough on the bike. A volts check with the engine running should tell you what's happening

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:26 am

Put a multimeter on your battery when it's running, if it's charging the voltage should be between 13.8volts and 14.4volts

^This^

A knackered  reg/reg pushing too much voltage can knacker a battery pretty quickly, or too producing too little voltage and not charging it.  Easy thing to check so well worth doing before splashing out on a new battery.

Personally I have optimate leads on both our bikes but only plug them in for a charge occasionally if they've not ebing used rather than leaving them on all the time.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#8 davytdm

davytdm

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:00 pm

thanks for all the advice folks will check the charging volts and maybe use optimate a bit less 🤔🤔🤔🤔

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users