5772 replies to this topic

#81 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 17 July 2014 - 11:29 pm

Wow, great idea and how clean is that linkage .......

Impressed :good:

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#82 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:54 pm

Adjusted the chain tension, fitted the fender extender loosing one of these collars, anyone got a spare?

I'm not 100% sure I lost the collar as I never watched that carefully when I took the guard off. Spent a good 1/2 hour in the grass looking for it.

IMG_0985_zps16dd9992.jpg

Also fitted some stainless, can you tell where?

IMG_0988_zps2a561a48.jpg

Oh yea, don't some tyres have dates on? was wondering if these things are originals?

Edited by Catteeclan, 19 July 2014 - 05:56 pm.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#83 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:03 pm

A nice 80 odd miles more into towards the first service.

A drop of good coffee provided by Martin and a fill up.

240 miles for 17.21 litres = 63.45148 mpg :clapping:

Edited by TDMick, 19 July 2014 - 06:04 pm.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
Who dies with the most toys wins!

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#84 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:05 pm

You enjoying the newbie Mick? and how do you find the front end as many have said the 850 is far better?

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#85 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:22 pm

I'm finding it a very nimble machine, changes direction neatly and reasonably quickly.

The gauges and warning lights are nicely positioned and it feels lighter and lower than the 850.

I dropped the 850 forks to speed up the steering (and to lower it a bit), so they're not that far apart in the steering department I think. It's mostly the change of rider position that makes them feel completely different animals.

Out of the box it handles really well with the factory fitted Dunlops, I'm never going to get to the edge of them  ;). I cranked it over as far as I would ever want to today and there is no evidence on either tyre that I've been near the limit.  

The main difference between the bikes as far as I can tell, is that you sit on a 900 and sit in an 850, and that changes your perspective of how the bike works, and the 900 is revvy (and quick) whereas the 850 feels like it's got more grunt than a herd of pigs. :lol: and is a more leisurely ride still quick, but less revvy.

I like it  :badgerrock:

I did get the back end in the air last week, so the front must be OK :shocked:

Edited by TDMick, 19 July 2014 - 06:25 pm.

2010 'stealth' grey 900. '14 plate. engine bars, Centre stand, datatool alarm, datatag, E22s, Cree DRLs, Barkbuster handguards, Carpe sticker. Led running lights

#86 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:32 pm

I went from the Mk1 to the 900 so never got to push the front on the Mk2 although like you said i won't get to the edge of the tyres either. 

As long as you like it then it's money well spent. I still don't mind the controversial seat colour.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#87 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:27 pm

I prefer the 850's to the Niners myself

Having owned two Niners & 3 Mk2 850's - I prefer the high torque, five speed carb experience to the clinical six speed fuel injected ride .

I know, that technically, the inner is the better bike, but the 850 has a lot more feel  :good:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#88 Kalts

Kalts

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 104 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:19 pm

I've had only one Mk2 850 and now on my second 9er, but still have pleasant memories.

Oddly enough I miss the 5-speed gearbox and better not start me on carbs vs. FI. It was better on gravel, too.

635934.png

#89 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:52 pm

Brakes cleaned and new fluid, scottoiler back to working, checked the clutch play and topped up the coolant resevoir, gave a tweak to nuts and bolts...

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#90 Pantboy

Pantboy

850 going for 900

• 890 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:54 pm

topped up the coolant expansion tank after it overheated, boiled the coolant and spat some of its guts out of the overflow when stuck in traffic at 30 degrees, why o why does the fan come on so late on these bikes :dunno:

#91 TDMick

TDMick

TDMick

• 3,830 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:26 pm

Went here

Attached File  DSC_2420.JPG   165.85KB   0 downloads

And saw some of these :yeyeye:

Attached File  DSC_2444.JPG   102.63KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2451.JPG   164.9KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2537.JPG   173.14KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2565.JPG   183.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2593.JPG   197.1KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC_2605.JPG   114.59KB   0 downloads

#92 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:40 pm

Went out for a ride - ran out of petrol - top bloke towing a go-cart on his way home from Cadwell stopped & gee me a couple of litres of petrol from his jerry can  :good:

Now got to figure out why reserve isn't reserving any fuel  :rolleyes:

Put a rack on ready for going to France - just got to wire up satnav & an auxiliary socket tomorrow & we're ready for the Pyrenees  :badgerrock:

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
another '81 XT250
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#93 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:47 pm

pipes on backwards ?

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#94 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:52 pm

Went out for a ride - ran out of petrol - top bloke towing a go-cart on his way home from Cadwell stopped & gee me a couple of litres of petrol from his jerry can  :good:

Now got to figure out why reserve isn't reserving any fuel  :rolleyes:

Put a rack on ready for going to France - just got to wire up satnav & an auxiliary socket tomorrow & we're ready for the Pyrenees  :badgerrock:

Got me thinking if I cudda been the culprit when I changed the fuel pump and did the carbs but, as far as I can recall I didn't touch the pipes going from the tank to the tap.  Glad to hear you'll soon be getting your much deserved holibobs Mick, enjoy ! :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#95 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:57 pm

Thought it must be the pipework myself - I intend to take the tank off tomorrow night.

Not really looked at this one much since I got it, & it's the first time I've let it get low - better now than in the mountains though. :lol:

If I haven't got time now, I'll take my Haynes manual with me  & check it out down there 

Got me thinking if I cudda been the culprit when I changed the fuel pump and did the carbs but, as far as I can recall I didn't touch the pipes going from the tank to the tap.  Glad to hear you'll soon be getting your much deserved holibobs Mick, enjoy ! :good:

Not this one Ian - different bike  ;)

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#96 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:01 pm

Ahhh, yeah, so it is.  Too much yellow and TDM stuff goin' on at Sidey's Bike Emporium ! lol

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#97 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:58 pm

topped up the coolant expansion tank after it overheated, boiled the coolant and spat some of its guts out of the overflow when stuck in traffic at 30 degrees, why o why does the fan come on so late on these bikes :dunno:

I run Evans waterless coolant in my 2012, it's expensive but has its advantages, I use it in many bikes of all types and makes, last the life of the engine, never boils, been running it and riding in town in the hottest parts of the summer, no probs, not that you should have problems with standard coolant.

Edited by arthurbikemad, 20 July 2014 - 09:59 pm.

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#98 Staffy

Staffy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:10 am

Fitted a new centre stand to the 900 today and also took her down for a new PR4 on the back as the current one was too bald for my liking.  While there they told me I had less than 2mm of rear pads and would I like new ones fitted at no charge.... well yes please.

The new rear tyre feels fantastic and am very happy with the stand.  The brakes need some bedding in but they'll get better.

#99 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:10 pm

Out and about again, stopped for a while :)

Foto-VC7DINKY.jpg

2012 Grey 900, Dual HIDs, Fork gaiters, Yam centre stand, Givi crash bars, S320 DRLs custom mounts, PAIR removed, Modded airbox, K&N, Warrior cans, PC3 - Custom map 81bhp @ 65ft-lb, Lambda removed, HM Quickshifter (removed), Evans waterless coolant, Hel lines, Dome SS exhaust nuts, Clear winker lenses, Yamaha +145 Screen + MRA X-creen, Heated grips with relay cut out and custom carbon mount, DL Hand Guards and milled bar ends, SW barback risers, 5w SMD LED side light, LED stop/tail reflectors, 2 x Front mudguard extenders, Custom rear under hugger, Hugger extender, Wrapped HT leads, Aux power sockets, Givi V47NN Top box with LED stop, SW motech mount, Givi PL347 mount and E21s, SW Motech Evo Tank bag, Stainless rad guard, Top Sellerie gel seat, RAM mounts for sat nav and phone, Handy tube and more.     Follow me on twitter @arthurbikemad

#100 arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:09 pm

Fitted my new Zumo! :)

BtKjBRrCAAEMLpi.jpg

33deg C here today! TOAST!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users